Thread: Wondering About 81mg. ASA? page

Jianwa is offline Junior Member

Wondering About 81mg. ASA?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All!,

I just had a doctor appointment for my 5 year work checkup. Overall it all went very well. He asked what meds I was taking and I was pleased to tell him I no longer took meds for diabetes, and high cholesterol, and I'm in the process of getting off the high blood pressure med, which has since been achieved with my family doctor's blessing.

Of course he checked all those vitals and agreed. Now one thing he did bring up was, did I take 81mg. ASA daily as a preventative. I answered no. He said you should. He went on to say all the studies show that if you're taking it daily you almost certainly won't have a heart attack.

Now I've been Primal long enough to know that a lot of CW studies are flawed(imagine that!). I'm wondering about this one though. On the surface it seems the thing to do, unless Mark has reasons why we shouldn't. (I searched for this topic but didn't find anything definitive.) I've heard about the internal bleeding thing and wondered how prevalent that is and how I might know whether it's occuring with me.

Doug

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    As a preventative for what specifically? In general? Or do you have a personal or family history with heart disease that would make him think that you would benefit from it?
    Even though it's a low dose, you would still be anticoagulated enough to cause easy bruising and have cuts and scrapes that would bleed more than usual.
    I guess I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.

Jianwa is offline Junior Member
    Yes I do have that family history. My dad had numerous bypasses and as well as high cholesterol & BP.
    My mom passed away last year basically from diabetes. So I'm looking at things through that lens ....

As to preventative to what? It's supposed to cut down on risk of heart attacks. My apologies if I wasn't clear.

Doug

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, that's a strong enough fam. hx for taking at least an 81 mg ASA. It's probably the most benign OTC medicine you could take.
    It's not such a high dose as to cause hemorrhage of anything unless you have some sort of blood dyscrasia. You'd probably have to be taking massive doses of ASA or be taking prescription anticoagulants to be worrying about internal hemorrhaging, in which case you would be monitored with periodic blood tests.