Thread: Morning workouts making me hungry page

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member

Morning workouts making me hungry

Primal Fuel
    Here's what's going on:

Over the past few months I gradually started IF. I was just not hungry in the mornings. I'd workout on my lunch break, so first meal of the day would come after that (1-2pm). 2nd meal of the day around 7pm. Was simple plan for me to follow, I wasn't hungry, i felt great, and I could stay at 1500 calories no problem (I do need to watch calories or I stay where I'm at).

Change of routine:

This week I added swimming or biking for 45 mins at 5:30am. Plan is to add slow/steady movement workout in mornings, and lunch break lift weights and sprint like I was doing before. The only thing I have prior to morning workout is some black coffee. Water afterwards. All week at 8am I am starving!!

Will this hunger fade over time as my body gets used to the new routine, as it did when I fell into IF with change of diet - so I can continue with the longer IF? Or is that more damaging and I should be eating some protein after a workout? What about doing both workouts fasted (5 hours in between)? Bad idea, or perfectly fine?

-I am looking to lose weight/fat (~50 lbs) with a goal of having more defined muscle some day (health is great).

I'm sure I will get lots of opinions on the matter, but curious to see what others do.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Although I normally IF until a 3:00 pm break-fast, today I woke up just needing breakfast. It happens. Do what you need to do.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you're working out, and then getting hungry. you need to eat. the IF set-up is wrong in this instance.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses. Makes sense that working out in a slightly fasted state would cause hunger afterwards. Having a couple eggs in the morning shouldn't throw me too far off track...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    you're working out, and then getting hungry. you need to eat. the IF set-up is wrong in this instance.
    Agree.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Change of routine: This week I added swimming or biking for 45 mins at 5:30am.
    Yeah, I did that. Wake up, coffee, 45min intense biking, chow down on eggs+meat+vegi and goto work. Ran the schedule for 6weeks, no carbs except for vegi, dropped my body fat to where it should be. Now no more cardio!

I understand the idea of fasting occasionally, and doing cardio fasted...but it seems unrealistic to do almost an hour of fasted cardio and not eat afterwards? Especially if you are doing intense cardio? I'd be hungry. That extreme shouldn't be necessary to lose some weight.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Remember that losing weight is 80% food and 20% other (exercise etc.) Eat when you're hungry, there's no advantage to enduring hunger and it may even slow weight loss when your body downregulates your metabolism. You could lose a lot of muscle exercising without eating!