Thread: Why we need more herds of livestock page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Why we need more herds of livestock

One of the arguments used by vegetarians is that meat production and livestock is not sustainable and contributes to global warming. This incredible Ted Talk proves this is not only not true, but reintroducing large herds of livestock to simulate ancient vast herds that traversed our plains is crucial to preventing desertification. Please watch and pass it on.

Allan Savory: How to green the desert and reverse climate change | Video on TED.com

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I was just looking for this, Kestral posted it yesterday and I wanted to pass it on. It's a very inspiring talk. I just hope the idea of bringing back livestock isn't corrupted and misinterpreted to mean large scale productions. From what I gather from the talk he's talking about smaller herds that are frequently moved.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    I think he's referring to larger herds - meaning in the 3,000 to 4,000 range. Think wildebeests on the Serengeti - that type of size.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I watched it yesterday via the link here. Really good talk and encouraging! Reminds us that even though we cut links out of our food chains all the time through hubris or negligence, we can still figure out how to fix it and get back in sync with our environment, sometimes.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I watched it yesterday via the link here. Really good talk and encouraging! Reminds us that even though we cut links out of our food chains all the time through hubris or negligence, we can still figure out how to fix it and get back in sync with our environment, sometimes.
    Yes it is encouraging for sure. I was most impressed with the before and after photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I was just looking for this, Kestral posted it yesterday and I wanted to pass it on. It's a very inspiring talk. I just hope the idea of bringing back livestock isn't corrupted and misinterpreted to mean large scale productions. From what I gather from the talk he's talking about smaller herds that are frequently moved.
    During the video he talks about holistic grazing, watch it again and you will see he deals with your concerns.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    During the video he talks about holistic grazing, watch it again and you will see he deals with your concerns.
    I understand how he deals with holistic grazing I'm just a little concerned that those that take on grazing here in the US may not follow his method. It would be so wonderful to reclaim the arid lands in the US while feeding people. It's very encouraging.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Check out this article: ‚€˜Brown Revolution‚€™ targets long-term productivity on range - for a group of people who are already implementing these methods on hundreds of thousands of acres of grassland.

This sounds like a wonderful investment opportunity..
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    Check out this article: ‚€˜Brown Revolution‚€™ targets long-term productivity on range - for a group of people who are already implementing these methods on hundreds of thousands of acres of grassland.

This sounds like a wonderful investment opportunity..
    Interesting, thanks for posting.