Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overeating PB foods page

Mama~Mare is offline Member

Overeating PB foods

Primal Fuel
    If there is already a link for this I would love to read it................

I have been doing the PB for 6 weeks and love the food. MY biggest mistake has been going ape shit for all the fats. I know I am over consuming them. My muscles feel more solid than before but I am also putting on a layer of "padding" that wasn't there 6 weeks ago.

I have read the PB and keep reading the pages on Insulin, Cholester-ALL etc...etc....

I would like a scientific article about what goes on in your cells and bodily systems when you over indulge in the PB foods. Does that make sense?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Mark did an excellent post a long time ago that doesn't directly answer your question:

17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

He explains common reasons for weight gain even when eating within the Primal Blueprint guidlines, but does not explicity state what happens on a cellular level.

I am not sure he would advise very low carb across the board based on more recent writings. I know he still would in certain situations such as when the person is "metabolically broken" (diabetes, etc.) and has a lot of weight to use. But the hypothesis that insulin is THE driver of fat gain is no longer seen as truth. You can most certainly gain fat weight on a no-carb diet. This post from Kurt Harris comes a little closer to what you are asking I think:

Archevore - Archevore Blog - Insulin is a doorman at the fat cell nightclub, not a lock on the*door

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Some humans naturally don't eat much, some binge massively. It's basically two inbuilt survival mechanisms: the first is for times of abundance, the second is to survive feast-and-famine environments. It's why some people stay very thin, even though they don't actively control their diets: they hit a certain number of kcals (say, 2100) and their body says "enough". The less frequently you diet, the more you can enforce this "limit". On the other hand, some people naturally overeat, as though they were breaking a fast at every meal. These people will put on weight more easily, meaning they diet more often, meaning they reaffirm the "feast or famine" behaviour, even though there is no true famine. The human body is well equipped for both feast-fast and continual feeding. What is OPTIMAL varies, but, just as almost any human can function on any diet from 99% plant to 99% meat, any human can function on fast-feast or continual small meals. Eating frequency and quantities don't matter on their own, is what I'm getting at. What matters is when you combine them:
    -low frequency + small quantity = OK, but risky long-term
    -low frequency + large quantity = optimal range
    -high frequency + small quantity = optimal range
    -high frequency + large quantity = risk of overfeeding or even toxic overload

The behaviours themselves are just natural eating patterns, regardless of WHAT it is you're eating. However, as we live in permanent abundance, it depends on your appetite whether overeating is an issue or not. I overate yesterday (tired = ridiculously hungry) but now I'm not hungry at all today. Even had to save my breakfast to finish later, which is unheard-of.

Just eat what your body wants and see if it controls itself or if you just gorge. Then, adjust accordingly.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think that although we are all born with instincts to eat when we are hungry and stop when we are not, human instincts are weaker than cultural influences. Most American parents consider it their duty to their children and to civilization to eliminate any hunger awareness from their kids. They serve the kids an arbitrary portion they are required to eat, whether they like it or not, whether they are ravenous or not even remotely hungry. Kids are not permitted to stop eating when they are no longer hungry. Parents force kids to eat under a great many different situations, and reward them highly for internalizing this habit.

When I was a kid I was browbeaten into eating the food my mother dished up "for the starving children of India". We were proud of the fact that we consumed massive quantities of food, that we were always first to hit the buffet line, and that we would always clean our plates no matter what.

And of course, we were all fat.

Perhaps it is the "bad parents" who do not deliberately train their kids to lose their hunger instinct, because they were ignoring societal imperatives. Even now I see parents on this forum seriously concerned that their kids must be bribed with junk food treats or browbeaten at each meal to eat more because being a skinny kid is not so much unhealthy as unthinkable, and is a situation that can't be permitted to continue.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama~Mare View Post
    I have read the PB and keep reading the pages on Insulin, Cholester-ALL etc...etc....
    I would like a scientific article about what goes on in your cells and bodily systems when you over indulge in the PB foods. Does that make sense?
    Overindulge or overeat on whatever food and your body stores surplus energy as fat! Actually the mecanism of storing fat is meant to help you from starving to death, so the intention behind fat storage is good though!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yep I overeat even on primal foods, and I gain, or don't lose.
    Listen to my hunger really carefully and now I am losing again.

Paleobird Guest
    Yep. Number 8 of the 17 reasons is, "You're eating too much". This was the mistake I made at first too. Everybody (forum pundits, not Mark) tells you to chuck the scale, eat lots of bacon, and the weight will magically fall off. Then there is reality.

Have you seen today's update to the list of 17? Mark has added another 9. A good read.

Thank you all for your reply's! Just got home from work, hope to dissect all this info tomorrow morning over coffee Looking forward to it!

LOVE this article! Thank you for sharing this..........my mind works well with combining analogies and science, this was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Some humans naturally don't eat much, some binge massively. It's basically two inbuilt survival mechanisms: the first is for times of abundance, the second is to survive feast-and-famine environments. It's why some people stay very thin, even though they don't actively control their diets: they hit a certain number of kcals (say, 2100) and their body says "enough". The less frequently you diet, the more you can enforce this "limit". On the other hand, some people naturally overeat, as though they were breaking a fast at every meal. These people will put on weight more easily, meaning they diet more often, meaning they reaffirm the "feast or famine" behaviour, even though there is no true famine. The human body is well equipped for both feast-fast and continual feeding. What is OPTIMAL varies, but, just as almost any human can function on any diet from 99% plant to 99% meat, any human can function on fast-feast or continual small meals. Eating frequency and quantities don't matter on their own, is what I'm getting at. What matters is when you combine them:
    -low frequency + small quantity = OK, but risky long-term
    -low frequency + large quantity = optimal range
    -high frequency + small quantity = optimal range
    -high frequency + large quantity = risk of overfeeding or even toxic overload

The behaviours themselves are just natural eating patterns, regardless of WHAT it is you're eating. However, as we live in permanent abundance, it depends on your appetite whether overeating is an issue or not. I overate yesterday (tired = ridiculously hungry) but now I'm not hungry at all today. Even had to save my breakfast to finish later, which is unheard-of.

Just eat what your body wants and see if it controls itself or if you just gorge. Then, adjust accordingly.

You hit the nail on the head: "We live in permanent abundance" It truly does come down to listening to your body and being in tune with your own individual make~up. I have spent years doing the "body builder" diet. Eating something small and clean every 2.5 hours. It kept me lean and muscular and yet a slave to keeping my blood sugar stable and a slave to the weight room. In reading the PB I think subconsciously I wanted to free myself of this insanity and picked up on the freedom of eating large meals with healthy fats and letting hours pass by with out having to eat and I ran with it! I know that at certain meals I have been gorging myself, and almost as a form of rebellion toward the years of rigid restrictions that I put myself under.........I did it all to myself..........

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think that although we are all born with instincts to eat when we are hungry and stop when we are not, human instincts are weaker than cultural influences. Most American parents consider it their duty to their children and to civilization to eliminate any hunger awareness from their kids. They serve the kids an arbitrary portion they are required to eat, whether they like it or not, whether they are ravenous or not even remotely hungry. Kids are not permitted to stop eating when they are no longer hungry. Parents force kids to eat under a great many different situations, and reward them highly for internalizing this habit.

When I was a kid I was browbeaten into eating the food my mother dished up "for the starving children of India". We were proud of the fact that we consumed massive quantities of food, that we were always first to hit the buffet line, and that we would always clean our plates no matter what.

And of course, we were all fat.

Perhaps it is the "bad parents" who do not deliberately train their kids to lose their hunger instinct, because they were ignoring societal imperatives. Even now I see parents on this forum seriously concerned that their kids must be bribed with junk food treats or browbeaten at each meal to eat more because being a skinny kid is not so much unhealthy as unthinkable, and is a situation that can't be permitted to continue.
    You have a very valid point here. I too was forced to "clean my plate" and still struggle with leaving food on my plate.....I also grew up with an obese mother and a dad who swore up and down that I had better not get fat like my mother. It's been a blessing in disguise..........believe you me I've never been fat.....I listened to Dad.......years of recovery later I'm learning what REAL health is. My DH and I have 4 children ages 18, 16, 13 & 9 and they have never been members of the "clean plate club". I've even gotten into a few screaming matches with some other family members who tried to force my kids into the club All 4 of them are muscular and lean. I marvel at how they eat when they are hungry and once they are full not another bite passes those lips. I'm astonished and pray that they never have the emotional war with food that I've had my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Overindulge or overeat on whatever food and your body stores surplus energy as fat! Actually the mecanism of storing fat is meant to help you from starving to death, so the intention behind fat storage is good though!
    LOL! That fat has good intentions but it looks like shit all over my thighs and ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    yep I overeat even on primal foods, and I gain, or don't lose.
    Listen to my hunger really carefully and now I am losing again.
    This is what I need to get back to. The initial honey moon of the PB is over.........let the real marriage begin

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. Number 8 of the 17 reasons is, "You're eating too much". This was the mistake I made at first too. Everybody (forum pundits, not Mark) tells you to chuck the scale, eat lots of bacon, and the weight will magically fall off. Then there is reality.

Have you seen today's update to the list of 17? Mark has added another 9. A good read.
    Ahhhh reality! As I said above, the honey moon is over.........it's time to leave the "all inclusive resort" before I reach the point of no return.......

I just saw Mark's article from yesterday, how timely! I usually get on here too early in the morning and the articles aren't up yet

Thanks again every one!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama~Mare View Post
    If there is already a link for this I would love to read it................

I have been doing the PB for 6 weeks and love the food. MY biggest mistake has been going ape shit for all the fats. I know I am over consuming them. My muscles feel more solid than before but I am also putting on a layer of "padding" that wasn't there 6 weeks ago.

You've been doing this for 6 weeks. That is the MINIMUM amount of time I would recommend for anyone, just to get used to this way of eating. You don't say how different primal is from your old way of eating. For me, it was a few small tweaks replacing bad fats and eliminating grains, as we ate a mostly whole foods diet already. For some, cauliflower is a completely foreign food, and they never ate anything that didn't come out of a box, bag or can.

PB is NOT a free ticket to eat as much as you want or go "ape shit" on unlimited amounts of any food. It is the practice of eating real food, when you're hungry, to the point of satiety. HOW MUCH will differ from person to person, and probably will fluctuate daily for you as well. This is the 'science' of listening to your body.

Your body knows when to breathe, blink, shiver, sneeze. It also knows when its time to refuel, and what to do with real food. Food you eat for reasons other than hunger, or past the point of satiety, is food your body didn't ask for.

Diet Doctor says...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast