Thread: mastitis without antibiotics? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

mastitis without antibiotics?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A couple of days ago, my left breast became very painful. I thought it was a cyst at first, but then got body aches and fever that night. So I figured it's mastitis. I expressed the milk, had dd nurse constantly, but still painful. Had the worst headache last night (I'm not prone to headaches). Fever is on and off. Had it last night before bed, and it broke during the night. .

I researched on alternatives to antibiotics, and took raw garlic throughout the evening. I feel better today, but still run down and tired. Breast still tender, but much better than yesterday.

My dd is 20 months old and her nursing pattern hasn't changed (she nurses a lot still), so I don't know what brought this on. It's my first time with mastitis.

I'm not so keen on antibiotics, so wondering if I can handle this without them? I don't want to see a doctor unless I have to... everyone is on my case about nursing a toddler enough as it is. And doctors here prescribe antibiotics for everything, so I have no way of telling whether or not it's really necessary.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I got that once when my oldest was nursing. I can't answer for the antibiotics, but taking a hot bath and putting a hot wet washcloth on the painful spot really helped. And massaging firmly downwards towards the nipple, like you would if you were expressing milk.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Find yourself some good quality pure Lavender essential oil and Melaleuca essential oil (tea tree oil). Apply them diluted in a little carrier oil (olive oil or coconut oil will do) at least twice a day- or more often if you feel it is needed. Works like a charm! (Quality REALLY matters.)
    You can also use cold cabbage leaves for comfort (just put them in your bra). I would take a hefty dose of probiotics internally once a day as well.
    Good luck!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

MorganGirl is offline Member
    I don't have an alternative for antibiotics as that's what I took when I had it with my second child, but wanted to say I hope you feel better soon, as mastitis is such a miserable thing to go through!

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    If it gets worse I'd definitely go in and get it checked out. In the meantime nurse as much as possible - you may need to use some rather interesting positions - but given that she's a toddler that shouldn't be to hard - lol! Make sure to have her nose pointing towards the blockage/tender area.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    My mastitis was so bad that I had to resort to antibiotics...don't let it go too long, especially if you are still feverish!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Upping your Vitamin D for a few days may help.

D3 is used up more quickly when we have an infection, so boosting supplementation can be useful. Try 40,000 IUs for 2-3 days. It won't hurt your baby.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I'm a broken record, sorry! Chinese medicine, in the form of acupuncture and/or herbs, will help. I was tested on a few of the points to treat mastitis a couple days ago!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

I have recovered now.

I wasn't able to go out and find the essential oils and vitamin D, as I just stayed at home to rest most of the time.

I used cabbage leaves to reduce inflammation, and my breast was tender for about 4 days. Fever was gone after the first 48 hours, but I continued taking a clove of raw garlic every couple hours or so. Had DD nurse a lot.

Sure glad that's over. Mastitis is even worse than the flu!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    So glad to hear you are feeling better!! Mastitis is miserable!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.