Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Storing fat WITHOUT insulin - ASP page 9

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Insulin is correlation not causation for weightgain/weightloss! Gary Taubes seem to make that unclear or even denying that in his writings. Some people are obsessing about what may be written in the small letters of dieting and forgets about what is really important for a sound and healthy diet. So, excess food makes you gain weight, and a food deficit makes you lose. Everything else is footnotes to that simple thruth…

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    So you've secretly hacked my hand-written exercise log. From 2400miles away. Touche!
    You're purposely being vague with your lifestyle, and frankly your logical fallacies aren't helping. If you are truly eating more calories now than before and you lose weight, then you simply have changed your lifestyle so significantly that it is now a deficit. There is no other options. Your TDEE is higher now than it was before.

- OR -

You don't accurately measure your calories, and you just think you eat more now because you aren't consciously dieting. Overweight people think they consume up to 50% less calories than they actually do. Underweight people think they consume up to 50% more calories than they actually do. Going from a lifestyle full of foods that provide little satiety to a lifestyle of foods that provide lots of satiety make people believe they eat more now than they ever did before because their hunger signals are naturally working and they don't have to actively restrict food. In reality, they're eating less than ever before.

You're one of the two or a combination of both.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Insulin is correlation not causation for weightgain/weightloss! Gary Taubes seem to make that unclear or even denying that in his writings. Some people are obsessing about what may be written in the small letters of dieting and forgets about what is really important for a sound and healthy diet. So, excess food makes you gain weight, and a food deficit makes you lose. Everything else is footnotes to that simple thruth…
    Based only on my personal experience, I agree with this 1000%. For about 6 months, I have been tracking calories consumed vs daily weight gain/loss against a very steady exercise program. With the exception of obvious water weight gains/losses associated with carbs, I can predict with great accuracy what adding/subtracting a couple hundred calories will do on a daily basis.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    In general the health of the system dictates its ability to adapt to different environments (in this case the presence of excess calories). A healthy system may very well have a greater capacity to increase metabolic rate and conversion of calories to useful matter or dissipate through energy use. An unhealthy system may be unable to accomplish such a feat in a healthy manner leading to obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer.... ect.

I've witnessed at least a few occasions when people adopted Paleo, lost the weight and got healthy, then went back to their SAD diet. When they returned to their SAD ways some continued to express the health and energy they found in Paleo for quite some time. In my wife's case I'd say it was over a year before some of her old symptoms started to come back and her weight went up by about 5 lbs. Now she's back to eating like she should again, and responded even quicker in terms of getting healthy than she did the first time around.... hope she sticks with it in recognition that symptoms are a poor indicator of health.

So sure CICO works. CO is dictated by quality/quantity of CI and the health of the system in question. See, its easy.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    In general the health of the system dictates its ability to adapt to different environments (in this case the presence of excess calories). A healthy system may very well have a greater capacity to increase metabolic rate and conversion of calories to useful matter or dissipate through energy use. An unhealthy system may be unable to accomplish such a feat in a healthy manner leading to obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer.... ect.
    Yep. A person who is replete nutritionally and not inflamed is going to have a better metabolic rate than someone starving themselves on grains and limiting their fat intake to rancid PUFA-based oils and incidental fat on white meat, as typical on the SAD when trying to lose weight. That being said, a healthy body is also more likely to want to get up and move around - I can't sit still very long. My feet tap, my mind wonders, I get restless...I am able to relax much more clearly once I've kicked my ass at the gym. I'm about to do this now. This all plays a roll. It is always CICO, but this is where the variance comes in.

I've witnessed at least a few occasions when people adopted Paleo, lost the weight and got healthy, then went back to their SAD diet. When they returned to their SAD ways some continued to express the health and energy they found in Paleo for quite some time. In my wife's case I'd say it was over a year before some of her old symptoms started to come back and her weight went up by about 5 lbs. Now she's back to eating like she should again, and responded even quicker in terms of getting healthy than she did the first time around.... hope she sticks with it in recognition that symptoms are a poor indicator of health.
    Isn't the human body amazing? It can recover from decades of abuse in a few years, or even a few months in some cases. It'll all return again eventually if you go back to your exact old ways, though. I don't understand how anyone can abandon this lifestyle after adopting it though. The food now is so much better, the energy is addicting...I'd be purposely eating crappy food and feeling like crap. I don't get it.

So sure CICO works. CO is dictated by quality/quantity of CI and the health of the system in question. See, its easy.
    Yep. It really is easy. People overcomplicate it. It's as simple as eating real food and moving around. The rest will take care of itself in time. You just have to be patient and realistic.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Isn't the human body amazing? It can recover from decades of abuse in a few years, or even a few months in some cases. It'll all return again eventually if you go back to your exact old ways, though. I don't understand how anyone can abandon this lifestyle after adopting it though. The food now is so much better, the energy is addicting...I'd be purposely eating crappy food and feeling like crap. I don't get it.
    Hahah. Its a slippery slope. It doesn't happen all at once. A cheat here and a cheat there.... But, if you wanna stay married (as I currently do) then though shalt not badger the hell out of thy wife about her food choices. She's back on track now though.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789