Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Onions that have been cut safe to use the next day or after? page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I often keep half a chopped onion to use the next day. To stop it drying out / stinking the fridge out, I toss the bits I'm keeping in olive oil, pour into a glass bowl and cover with cling film. Then it just needs to be tipped into a frying pan the next day and browned / cooked / whatever.

I don't believe for one minute that it has the ability to attract germs / toxins etc. If it did - wouldn't hospitals be full of little bowls of chopped onions, drawing MRSA, eColi etc germs towards them for easy disposal later?!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I've left onions half cut for next day's use as well without harm. Even if the rumor were true, I think you're safe unless you store your cut onion in a nuclear plant.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

davidcurry is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the FeedBAck on my question!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenview View Post
    Cutting the onion releases the oils. If you just cut off the portion you are using and wrap the leftover snugly in plastic wrap, it is fine to use another day. If you chop the onion to use later, you should blanch or sauté the chopped pieces, or the volatile oils released by chopping will change and become bitter. I used to know the science behind it all, but now I just know the rules. Oh, and don't peel the portion you are saving for later.
    To Glenview and Breadsauce and the Rest: Thanks for those insights. Having just started eating this way about 3 months ago, it is helpful to get some good feedback on some of the stuff you hear. I love onions with my salads and with just about any grilled vegetable. Glad to hear that I don't have to throw the other half away every time I cut one open!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I am not saying it is or isnt safe, I hope it's safe because I do this all the time, but some of the replies sort of remind me of what ppl tell me when I say things like wheat isn't good for them. They say, well I have been eating it for years and I am still fine. Not trying to argue, just saying

Anyways, I havent heard this before, but I did hear something about letting it set for 10 minutes after you chop it before using it, for something to do something... but I don't remember what now. Or maybe that was garlic... or both.
    Last edited by gopintos; 03-06-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Hope it's not true. I have used leftover onion in the fridge countless times.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    If you eat in restaurants you've eaten onions that have been cut and peeled and stored. To cut and peel an onion every time it was needed would be way too inefficient.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I throw mine in a zip lock sandwich bag and throw it in the fridge where I use it for like a week if need be.

Rhiannon8404 is offline Junior Member

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Actually some painters will use chopped up onions placed in containers around a room to absorb some of the odors from the paint fumes - they usually leave them out for a few days after the job is done. Onions will help with the paint fumes - they turn weird colors when left out for this purpose. So as long as you are not painting or have some kind of fumes...
    On the other hand they do not absorb germs/bacteria but they should be kept in a sealed container in your fridge for future use - should actually be good for about a week. Sealed container is to keep odors down in your fridge.
    You can leave them out overnight without issue but again I would tend to put them in a container.
    Cheers

cantare is offline Senior Member
    At first raw onions will distract you by making you cry, but their ability to do this is limited. By the next day you've recovered and can focus on how nasty raw onions really are. Blanch, saute, carmelize, etc...problem solved!
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast