Thread: Primal Journal (YvonneJean) page

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (YvonneJean)

I am a 34 year old female living in Colorado Springs, CO. A little over 3 months ago I was searching the internet for ways to combat indigestion and night time acid reflux. I had come across some information that mentioned that going gluten-free helps some. I bought and read the book Wheatbelly on a recommendation. I remember thinking that it was a bunch of nonsense after I finished. I was desperate however, and ended up giving it a try. I was amazed at the difference that it made. I haven't had any indigestion or GERD since going gluten free. I started to wonder what else was out there that I had dismissed over the years. It is a short step from gluten free to Paleo, and the Paleo Diet was the next book I read. In researching I found this website, read the Primal Blueprint, and I decided that was my next step. I had already gotten rid of the grains, the battle for me would be the sugar.

I did the pantry purge this weekend. I went to the nearest Whole Foods and stocked up on grass-fed beef, free range chicken, eggs and organic fruit and vegtables. I started eating primally yesterday. I found this forum and figured starting a journal would only help me.

Goals:

Feel better
    Have more energy
    Lose the spare tire, lower fat percentage

The first was my goal for going gluten free and I considered any weight loss simply a bonus. I am going to do the same now. I will track my weight and fat %, but I refuse to obsess about it. If I can accomplish the first two goals, this will be a unqualified success.

Starting weight - 167.6 LB
    Fat % - 37%

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For week 1 I have decided to focus on getting more sleep and eating right. After the week I will look at how I am doing, and start evaluating how to begin the fitness portion.

Day 1
    Sleep - 9 hours

Food
    B - 2 fried eggs, 3 strips bacon
    L - Roast chick, 1 yellow bell pepper - raw
    D - 6 ounces fried tilapia, olive oil to fry, 1/2 cup steamed spinach, 1 scrambled egg
    Snacks - 1 1/2 cup raspberries
    Total 1,167 calories 81g protein, 43g carbs, 39g fats

Status - felt ok, the sugar cravings were killer. The vending machine was calling my name but I managed to ignore it. Looking at the day I need to up my calories. Looks like fats are where I have some room.

Day 2
    Sleep - 8.5 hours
    B - 2 Eggs scrambled with tomatoes and mushrooms, 3 strips bacon
    L - 5 ounces pork tenderloin, 9 spears asparagus
    D - 2 Whole Foods Chicken Brats cooked in olive oil, 2 Cups brussels sprouts with butter
    Snacks - 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 1 Cup strawberries, 1 red bell pepper
    Total 1,339 calories 111g protein, 77g carbs, 70g fats

Status - felt good. Still had periods where I was hungry, but avoided the sweets. Still think my calories could use a tiny bump.