Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casein Intolerance page

BoldAsLove is offline Member

Casein Intolerance

Shop Now
    Hello all,

For the last few years, I've stopped being able to digest diary products, cheese, etc. Eating them always ended with me curled into a ball with stomach pain. I eventually decided that I was lactose intolerant and stopped eating all diary. I still had stomach and energy-level issues, but to a lesser extent.

In the last year, I've been embracing paleo/primal. When I eat clean, my stomach issues all but disappear and my energy is much more stable. However, even with these benefits I still fall off the wagon and too frequently have my "faileo" days.

Well, today I had an eye-opening experience. I bought some 100% casein protein powder as a workout/meal supplement (I know, I know). I've only ever had whey before. I researched and saw that casein protein powder doesn't contain lactose so I thought I was safe.

On Sunday, I had a protein shake for breakfast. Later that day I started experiencing some tightness/pain in my chest. I thought I had strained something in my chest during my (first ever) Krav Maga class on Saturday.

Today, I had another protein shake. Shortly after, my stomach started hurting terribly, I got a headache, my chest became tight. Over the next hour, the tightness in my chest became much worse and spread to my throat. A rash appeared across my chest. I ran to CVS and took two benadryl. I'm writing this while I wait for it to kick in (and for my friend to get here to be with me just in case it gets worse).

So, apparently what I thought was lactose intolerance was really casein intolerance. Since it seems that casein is in a lot of processed foods, this also explains why I feel so much better on a whole foods/paleo diet.

... I'm primarily writing this to impress upon myself how horrible I feel right now, because maybe writing it out will finally help me make a permanent change to my diet to eliminate the processed crap that contains this stuff that my body obviously and vehemently rejects. That being said, anyone has any specific info/resources on casein and casein intolerance, that would be appreciated.

TLDR: I'm allergic to casein. It makes me feel like crap. Semi-loopy on benadryl, I've decided to state my re-commitment to paleo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I am both lactose and casein intolerant, though the casein intolerance only shows up when I consume cooked fresh dairy. Odd.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it's pretty common for people to react poorly to casein, and for some people, protein powders in general.

Oddly, for me, I can handle most dairy products, but the only type of protein powder my body can handle without any GI issues is whey isolate.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    You're definitely in good company. There are plenty of people for whom casein is seriously problematic. It ranks pretty high amongst the culprits behind the most common food allergies and intolerances. It would be a good idea for you to start reading labels - you'll be amazed by the number of foods in which it's hidden. Unfortunately, many of them are pretty damned yummy, too.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am also very strongly allergic to casein and eggs, plus nuts (almond in particular) off the charts on the allergy test. It is a total pain...... I love them all.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

BoldAsLove is offline Member
    GoJenGo ... I know, from what I can tell there is casein in a lot of processed food. I suppose all the more reason to ditch it all!

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Gives me acne. Right there with you.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldmiesn View Post
    I don't remember ever being able to sit on my heels.
    Yes, spambot - one of the mystery reactions to casein nobody wants to talk about....
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

jimmypaleo is offline Junior Member
    Here is a good book on the subject of casein. Many people who can't tolerate casein can have goat milk & cheese because it contains no A1 casein, the harmful type. It has A2 casein, the good type.

Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk: Keith Woodford, Thomas Cowan: 9781603581028: Amazon.com: Books

BellaPorter is offline Junior Member
    I have never had dairy issues until now, lol. I can eat ALL cheese EXCEPT any Blue cheeses...I have tried Danish Blue and Gorgonzola and both of them had me begging for the pain to stop. I think its the bacteria in them. I can eat Swiss or Asiago or Parm or Provalone with no issues at all. Just the blues make me sick as a dog. I was sad because I used to love them and they had never bothered me til now. Something must have been binding with them prior because whatever it was is outta me now and I can't handle them anymore. Such a bummer. I always liked a bit of Gorgonzola with Pear. But I can live without the gut ache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast