Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (leukothea) page 3

leukothea is offline Member
    Weigh-in day! This morning I am at 170.7 pounds. Woot!

Just 0.2 more pounds and I will have lost a total of 20 pounds, which seems like a big deal to me. Yayyyyy!

However, all is not sunshine and heavy whipping cream in the land of the leukothea. I've noticed that the weight is no longer just coming off magically; it's slower now. I think I have reached the dreaded "Stall" portion of things.

Yesterday I was reading some forum threads and came across some amazing information presented by Paleobird about lowering protein intake. I'd been shooting for 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per pound of current LEAN body mass that I have today. Since right now my lean body mass is only about 110 pounds, I'd been aiming for 88 to 110 grams of protein per day.

However, in the information I found yesterday, I saw this info:

I ran across an interesting formula for figuring your ratios from the work of Dr Jan Kwasniewski author of The Optimal Diet.
    First you figure up your IDEAL weight in KILOS. This is not necessarily the weight you are aiming for but it it your Ultimate HSIS (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) weight.
    HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    HSIS weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. HSIS weight in kilos x anywhere from 2 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)
    For me, that would translate to these numbers:

Ideal weight in kilos = 58.75 kg, i.e. 129 lbs.
    59 +/- 10% = a range of 53.1 to 64.9 grams of protein per day.
    And an upper limit of 29.5 grams of carbs per day (OUCH!!!)
    And the rest in fat -- 119.5 to 209 grams of fat per day depending on whether I'm trying to lose or gain weight.

WOW, that's a vastly lower amount of protein for me (53 to 65 grams instead of 88 to 110), and MUCH less carbs. I've been keeping it close to 50 grams a day, to maximize fat loss without actually dipping into ketosis. But an upper limit of 30 grams of grams a day... that's pretty hard core!

I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet -- at least, not this week. My in-laws are visiting, and I know I've slipped off strict purity of what I want to eat. Still no sugar or grains or nuts or bad oils, but I've been eating in an unbalanced way -- plus, I did have a few tablespoons of mashed potatoes before I remembered I wasn't eating them and gave the rest to my kid. Overnight that night I woke up with my intestines complaining at me. I bet it was the potatoes. There was also a gas plant explosion the next morning, if you catch my drift.

Speaking of overnight disturbances, this morning around 5:30 I had some brief calf cramps in my left leg. My potassium-sodium ratio has been way out of whack the last few days because of not getting to eat totally primally. How on earth do people get enough potassium? I have read that potassium supplements aren't ideal and it's better to get it from food, but HOW do I get enough from food?... I think once I get back to town after my trip, I'll need to pick up some potassium supplements as well as some liquid fish oil.

Oh yes, one more thing. In a few hours my husband and I are taking off for a brief out-of-town getaway. Wining and dining will occur. While of course I'll make good choices, I can't guarantee the options will be ideal. Wish me luck... and good food!
    Last edited by leukothea; 05-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Weigh Day! Today I am at 170.9.

Although that's ever-so-slightly up over last week, I am still calling it a big win, because this past week was NUTS, and I don't mean the kind I can grind up to make paleo oatmeal.

I had a 2-night out-of-town trip with my husband for our anniversary, visiting in-laws, at least one big party, cocktails... and there was an encounter with an egg-rich flourless chocolate blackberry torte.

However, I did also pack primal food for my trip -- a bunch of coconut-nut squares, avocados, sheep milk feta cheese, and hardboiled eggs... so I could skip two restaurant meals and just have my primal snacks instead. Coconut-nut squares are just coconut oil, gently heated on the stovetop and mixed with chopped nuts and unsweetened coconut shreds, then allowed to cool in a pan. Each little square is almost pure fat, and although it's not sweet, it's very satisfying to that same part of my taste that craves candy and brownies.

I do regret the few bites of grains that sneaked their way in there this past week -- a dab of sushi rice here or there, half a cup of polenta underneath some bourbon-brown-sugar-sauteed cherry tomatoes, etc. Oh, and Mother's Day was in there, too! So I definitely went off strict primal this week... but it was all totally worth it! :-D

I am still reaping the benefits of cutting out (most) sugars and grains. I feel really great -- my jeans fit and are even a touch loose (!). I am looking better naked, in my own humble opinion. I have more energy. I'm moisturizing with coconut oil now, and that stuff is magical. My early-morning aches and pains are gone -- now I spring out of bed ready to go and do stuff; no more walking around gingerly trying to ease out the kinks in my bones and muscles. My hair is not falling out as much as it used to. I am starting to see definition in my stomach area and in my inner thighs -- as though there is muscle somewhere down there, beneath the shrouds of subcutaneous fat! Amazing!

Last night I packed up a bunch more lettuce for my Salad in a Jar lunches, and am looking forward to a cool, crisp romaine lettuce salad for lunch today along with an avocado, some omega-3-rich albacore tuna, and maybe a dollop of cage-free-egg lemon-pepper aioli.

My omega-3 levels are pretty good, according to the journal I've been keeping on PaleoTrack.com. But I just can't seem to get enough potassium to balance out all that sodium, even though my sodium intake is on the low side for an American diet -- about 1500 mg / day. I am not sure if I can slash my sodium even more -- I already cook almost all my own food and I never salt it, and I take care to buy low-sodium canned tomatoes, etc.

So rather than trying to get the sodium any lower, maybe I should supplement with more potassium. The problems there: (1) I read that potassium supplements aren't well absorbed. (2) All the potassium-only supplements I saw online were only 99 mg a pill -- I'd have to be popping those like Tic-Tacs to move that needle.

I found a supplement that combines potassium with calcium and magnesium -- a bone supplement -- in more hefty quantities of each. So I'm planning to stop by Super Supplements (for the first time ever!) and pick that up, along with some lemony liquid fish oil, which I read is better absorbed than capsules.

I'm still concerned about my pantothenic acid intake, as well -- it's usually under 50% of the RDA. Not sure what to do about that -- maybe a broad-spectrum supplement? I'd prefer to get it through food, but all the foods I looked up that were good sources of pantothenic acid actually had minuscule amounts of it -- I'd have to eat a pound of dried apricots, or something crazy, to get enough. Whut!

Also this week I plan to make chicken liver pate, and I'm going to include some chicken hearts as well. I bought the organ meats before I had read too much about conventional farming, and they've been in the freezer for the past month. After I read more about conventional farming I was scared to use these meats, but I've now decided that the benefits of eating more offal outweigh the contaminants from conventional farming -- at least for the stuff I've already purchased, anyway. I can't be 100% "pure" at this... only do my best.

I've started walking around barefoot more often, and am figuring out how I can incorporate going barefoot into my life more frequently, without injuring myself. I've read and taken seriously comments from people who charged into barefooting and who injured themselves. I don't want that to be me. But at the same time, my Danskos (which I used to LOVE) have started to feel like coffins for my feet.
    Last edited by leukothea; 05-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Another Tuesday -- must be weigh day! Today begins my Week 12.

After hovering around *almost* 20 lbs. lost for a little while, this past Thursday I finally broke past the 20-lb.-lost mark. But I haven't stopped there. As of this morning I was 167.3 pounds, which is down almost 4 lbs. from last week, and down a total of 23.2!

Basically, I'm now breathing down the neck of 25 lbs. lost... and it feels GREAT. Jeans that were pinching me back in February are now slightly *too loose.* I feel fantastic!

This past week I took several Primal steps, namely:
    * Made myself a lovely beef liver with fried onions and mushrooms -- mmmm -- and I was so gratified to see that the day's pantothenic acid totals were over 100% of the RDA -- usually I can't even break 40%! Seems I need to eat beef liver once a week or so?
    * Went barefoot walking around the neighborhood on Sunday night, with a pair of flip flops dangling from one hand. When the streets were too pebbly I would throw on the sandals, but I walked barefoot as much as I could, and it felt wonderful. I could definitely tell I'd done something different, because the next day I was more aware of a ton of little muscles all through my ankles, legs, and hips -- muscles that must not usually get flexed much!
    * Have been squatting as much as I can and stretching out those tight hip flexors and tendons. Squatting is awesome!
    * Have got my omega-3s to actually be MORE than my omega-6s on many days. Astounding!
    * Last night, made a bunch of gluten-free rice flour mini tart shells, and filled them with a savory pumpkin-egg-cream cheese-whipping cream mixture dusted with cinnamon and nutmeg. Each little nugget is under 10 grams of carbs, and they are pretty good (although next time, I need to punch up the flavoring more).
    * Finished a bottle of probiotic supplements that I purchased when I first went primal.
    * Made my first batch of kombucha, bottled it up, and began a second batch!
    * Have been moisturizing every second day with pure coconut oil. Wow, that stuff is amazing but too strong for me to use every day, I think.

I'm so happy with everything I've been learning about how to take better care of my body. As previously mentioned, I feel fantastic. I wish I could bottle this feeling and give it away to the whole world!

Tuesday, Tuesday, *can* trust that day!

This morning I weighed in at 165.9. Just 0.4 more pounds to a total of 25 pounds lost. I'm thrilled! Yoga pants and underwear that used to cut into my waist are now fitting me as they should. Although I still have a little potbelly, it's no longer developing that disturbing "butt-like cleft" in the front -- you know the cleft I'm talking about? -- which was the visual signal that initially prompted me to realize that I Had To Do Something About This Weight Situation in the first place. Yay, no more belly cleft. :P

I must say that it's been a bit of a tough week, diet-wise! I had a four-day weekend for Memorial Day, threw a rather large birthday party for my two kids (complete with carby food out the proverbial wazoo), and have been hosting my father for a long stay. He's on a high-carb low-fat regimen, as far as I can tell -- he believes that as a diabetic, he NEEDS carbs to live -- so he and I are exact opposites right now, it seems! We made gluten-free fried chicken last night, so there are areas we can agree on, but he is definitely in the "canola oil" camp whereas I am now in the "butter and lard" camp, and he is definitely in the "sugar-free, fat-free Jello chocolate pudding" camp where as I am in the "chocolate pudding made from heavy whipping cream, omega-3 enhanced eggs, unsweetened chocolate, and honey" camp.

I ended up "going rogue" to the tune of 2200+ calories per day on both Friday and Saturday. Ouch. (Have been averaging 1400-1700 calories per day, not that I'm always counting, but Paleotrack.com tracks it for me and it's a useful number to have as an overall indicator of how much I'm eating.) I counted those two days as "feast days." And then yesterday I only ate 800 calories or so, because that's honestly all I wanted.

Still, even with my bingey weekend, the last 7 days I've averaged only 60 grams of carbs per day... firmly in the 50-100 gram/day range where I want to stay for now.

Other Primal things have gone on hold. My credit card number was reissued due to a merchant security breach, and I'm going to take this opportunity to not renew my gym membership. I'll be incorporating movement into my daily life in and around home instead of making a special trip to the gym. I may add Crossfit sometime; it sounds interesting.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hey leukothea,

It was really fun to read about your progress. What you are doing is working. Do not change a thing. Paleobird eats Very low Carb for a medical condition she has. Last December I started a thread on Low Carb, High Fat and while I learned a lot and improved some things, I have chosen to stop aiming for nutritional ketosis, which is what the Kwasnieski formula leads to.
    I have tried many protocols on my Primal journey, but I always find my way back to moderate carbs, protein and higher fat as recommended in the Primal Blueprint. My mood is better that way and I am able to build muscle while still losing fat.

Keep Up The Great Work!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Thank you so much, Pebbles67! I've been thinking about the Kwasnieski formula more ever since first reading about it a few weeks ago, and I finally decided it's not for me. I can do about 60 grams of carbs per day, easily. But halving that... no way, not sure how I could do it! Just now I had a huge lettuce and cauliflower salad with raisins for flavor, and a handful of cherries -- and just that was over 60 grams of carbs. There's no way I could eat just 29 grams PER DAY. And luckily, I don't have to. *feeling grateful*

Yesterday officially concluded my first three months (13 weeks) of Primal. From March 5th through yesterday, here are my averages (as compiled and averaged out using Paleotrack.com):

91 Days
    Average Energy Intake: 1638 calories / day

Average Protein: 89 grams / day (22%)
    Average Fat: 114 grams / day (63%) (yay, good fat!)
    Average Carbs: 62 grams / day (15%) - right where I want it!

Omega6 to Omega3 ratio: Average 3.6 to 1. (A lot better than it used to be but still not in the green)
    Potassium to Sodium ratio: Average 1.5 to 1. (In the red. Booo! I need more potassium!)

Fiber 13.7 g (note that this is about 1/3 of the fiber my father eats and I have no elimination issues, whereas he... does)
    Potassium 2494 mg
    Sodium 1629 mg (I feel that this is quite good, for an American diet... lol!)
    Cholesterol 550 mg
    Alcohol 4.6 g
    Caffeine 212 mg

Vitamin C 195.1 mg 325%
    Thiamin 2.026 mg 135%
    Riboflavin 2.946 mg 173%
    Niacin 22.429 mg 112%
    Pantothenic acid 5.221 mg 52% (on the low side... more liver needed!)
    Vitamin B-6 2.951 mg 148%
    Folate 339 mcg 85%
    Vitamin B-12 13.83 mcg 230%
    Vitamin A 17677 IU 354%
    Vitamin E 27.44 mg 183%
    Vitamin D 1077 IU 269% (a bit on the low side -- I just began supplementing recently, but only on days I'm not on track to go too high. I've heard that 4,000 IUs should be the ceiling here)
    Vitamin K 266.4 mcg 333%

Calcium 517 mg 52% (I've read the FDA threshold for calcium is probably too high, so I'm not sweating this. But I did get a chelated calcium-magnesium supplement that I'm taking every few days)
    Iron 12.54 mg 70%
    Magnesium 273 mg 68% (see previous note)
    Phosphorus 1052 mg 105%
    Zinc 20.48 mg 137%
    Copper 1.566 mg 78%
    Manganese 2.346 mg 117%
    Selenium 97.9 mcg 140%

Since March 5, I've lost a total of 26.1 pounds (starting weight 190.5 pounds, down to 164.4 as of this morning).

Since March 5, I've gone from 40.4% body fat to 35.8% body fat, as measured by the little electrical handheld zapper thingie at Gold's Gym. (I know those doohickies aren't totally accurate, but this is apples to apples, so it's not a terrible measurement.)

All that while *not* working out really at all -- which I am sad to admit, but which is the truth.

I experimented with some rice and potatoes last Friday, and had horrible horrible intestinal rumblings and moderate pain for the next 24 hours. I'm pretty sure it was the potatoes rather than the rice. The reason I added some rice and potatoes last Friday was that for the previous day or so, my eyes had been REALLY SUPER DRY. You never realize how annoying it is to have dry eyes until it happens!

I Googled around and found that some people on a low-carb regimen develop dry eyes (interestingly, at least one other person had it happen right around the 3-month mark). So I thought that having a carb refeeding day might help my eyes. I also read that supplementing with Vitamin D (which I'd recently started doing) and not supplementing with magnesium could contribute to dry eyes as well, so I popped a dose of chelated calcium-magnesium supplement that day as well. The next day my eyes were fine, and have been ever since.

But in any case -- my dry eyes were solved, but OW, my intestines were not happy about the potatoes. I may experiment with them again in a more controlled setting to see if it was REALLY the potatoes that did it, or if it was the Indian curry sauce they were in, the raw onions I ate, the chai, or something else about the Indian restaurant where I ate that day. (Perhaps things were fried in vegetable oil and that's the true culprit? Perhaps it was the paneer?)

Apart from The Potato Incident, this past week has been a good one for me. I only lost a pound or so, and that's because I had several days that were 2000 calories or more. My father was visiting and staying with us. Rather than my eating habits rubbing off on him as I'd hoped, his eating habits began to affect what I was eating against my will. It's so difficult to refuse a serving of the food your relative cooked for you, especially when he is gazing at you anxiously with puppy dog eyes!

Still, I managed to keep my average carb count where I wanted it, through not eating most of the things he made, and surreptitiously picking the beans out of the chili. I blush to admit that I pretended to eat the rhubarb crumble he made with real grains, but actually scraped it into the yard waste instead. I'm sure it was delicious but I just didn't want the grains in my stomach.

In the next 3-month segment, my goals are:

* Add Primal exercise. I've been doing lots of walking, but I need to re-add lifting heavy, and add sprints.
    * I'm quitting the gym, which I haven't attended in a few months, and planning to lift heavy things at home (for instance, a sledgehammer wrapped in a sweater). I need to figure out how to do deadlifts at home.
    * I ordered some MCT oil. When it arrives, I am going to make Bulletproof Coffee some mornings.
    * I am going to begin cooking with grass-fed butter and ghee as opposed to regular unsalted butter.
    * Have bought several cookbooks, including "Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat," and "Primal Cravings." I'm super excited about both of them!
    * I've started making my own kombucha, and plan to continue making and drinking that on a regular basis.
    * I want to begin eating fermented vegetables again, and perhaps make my own yogurt.
    * I need to eat more organ meats. I've only had liver once in the last 3 months -- and when I did, my vitamin counts were through the roof. Plus, it's delicious!
    * Bone broth -- I've had a hard time with this. The few times I've made it, I didn't know what to DO with it after it was done -- I used some to make rice for my family, but they turned up their noses at it, so it's going to have to be all for me. But I don't really eat any recipes that are based on a broth. I need to figure this out!

I look forward to what the next quarter brings me! :-D

Weigh Day! This morning I am 163.5 pounds. That's down exactly 27 pounds since March 5th, the day I began.

This past week I was "resetting" back to my usual routine. I bought a bunch of lettuce and prepped it for Salad in a Jar, and have been eating Salads in a Jar at lunch. I made various paleo dishes from "Well Fed," including the North African spiced salmon, a hot bowl with pork and red cabbage, and my own breakfast sausage with pork and fennel.

There's not a huge amount more to report. I haven't followed through more -- yet! -- on barefoot walking, eating more organ meats, buying more grass fed beef, etc. There's only so much I can really do at once!

I forgot to weigh myself yesterday morning because I was rushing out the door to work, so I weighed myself today instead... just one day late.

Today I'm at 163.9, which is UP 0.4 pounds from last week. That's still a total of 26.6 pounds off me since I started in March, so I'm still very happy about that.

I'm not sure if this week's slight weight gain is a cyclical thing; I did gain some weight about a month ago, so perhaps my body wants to gain weight once a month. Or perhaps it's because I've been eating north of 1700 calories this week -- several days right around 2000 calories, in fact -- rather than really curtailing things south of 1700 or even south of 1500. Or both!

Anyway, I'm not too perturbed, because I'm still so ecstatically happy about being able to eat bacon, steak, eggs, grass-fed Jersey-cow heavy whipping cream, dark chocolate, red wine, avocados, roasted vegetables, coconut oil, lard, chicken skin and fat, sausage, butter, wild-caught fish, macadamia nuts, fresh blueberries, fresh raspberries, did I mention the heavy whipping cream?!?!, homemade mayonnaise, and all the other delicious things that many dieters feel they can never ever eat again in their lives.

Obviously I don't eat all of those things in one day, but my point is that I can *have* delicious things every day -- every meal! I'm excited about the food I get to eat! As opposed to a sad existence subsisting on fat-free chicken breasts, skim-milk cottage cheese, rice cakes, toast with margarine, and lentils. Bleh!

This week I splurged on some Kerrygold butter, and I ate a couple of tablespoons that evening, right off the knife. DELICIOUS! There's a huge difference in flavor from the regular unsalted butter I've always bought.

I also got some cultured Bulgarian-style buttermilk. I've had half a cup of it at a time and it's delicious, but I don't drink it every day.

Yesterday I hit the specialty-meat market for some grass-fed pepperoni sticks, calf liver, pork breakfast sausage with sage, and two 21-day dry-aged grass-fed sirloin steaks. One for me and one for my husband. See how much I love him??

Last night I fried up half a pound of the pork sausage with some shredded cabbage. Although the cabbage raised a great stink in the house, it turned out simply delicious; fried brown in the sage-y pork fat. YUM.

I am a little invested in reaching "30 pounds lost," because it seems like a great milestone to reach. But even if that takes another month to happen, that's fine. I started at 190, and I'm already so much better than that. My thighs are so much more slender now that they no longer rub together and cause a rash when I walk around in a skirt for a long time (that used to be the case).

My goal weight was 145, and I'm less than 20 pounds away from reaching it. And once I begin exercising seriously again, I expect I'll put on some muscle weight.

I quit my gym and am buying a 10-pound sledgehammer later today for shovelglove purposes.

I researched barely-there shoes and a friend recommended Merrells, so now I'm looking into those.

I'm arranging a day to pickle some chard stems with a friend. I know pickling often involves sugar, which isn't paleo, but they can be part of my 20%.

I've been indoctrinating the kids, just a little bit. But my husband refuses to believe that eating fat can be healthy. He said he wouldn't eat the avocados I've been buying because they're too fatty. I went and found articles about how healthy avocados actually are, and showed it to him, but he says that they have too much saturated fat and therefore they must be bad for his heart, because he's trying to lower his cholesterol. I let it drop. At the same time, I'm continuing to cook mostly Primal-approved foods, so I'd estimate he's 50% Primal without even knowing it.

I hope that eventually I can change at least one person's life, although so far, almost everyone I know refuses to hear it from me. My father's health continues to worsen. He'll try gluten-free for a day or two, experience no relief, and go right back to eating the standard American diet. It saddens me. He continues to see allopathic doctors who can't help him except by prescribing more drugs. He's on statins and a variety of other medications. I know he doesn't read the links I send him. But... he's a grown man, and I have to disengage from my own desire to help him.

Weigh day! This morning I was at 161.6. Wow!

I'm pretty stunned, because just a few days ago I went waaaaaaaaay overboard with restaurants. In the morning I had a restaurant-prepared smoked salmon & cream cheese omelet, plus some fruit and a tiny bit of fried potatoes. Then in the evening I had a true feast at a Brazilian steakhouse. I had SO much meat, charcuterie, ceviche, olives, cheese cubes, meat, wine, and did I mention the meat?? I also had a spoonful of garlic mashed potatoes, one tiny stick of deep fat fried polenta, one fried plantain, and a pao de queso made with tapioca flour (gluten-free, so that's all right, yeah?).

For the next 24 hours I wasn't really hungry at all, and the next day I skipped breakfast, had a light salad for lunch (no dressing), and only got kinda-sorta-hungry again pretty late at night, whereupon I had some eggs and sausage.

If I can seriously eat ALL the meat and STILL lose weight that week... well, that's pretty sweet!

Other than the steak house -- this week has been pretty crazy. We're remodeling, and it's a little stressful. I have a lot going on. BUT, I did manage to buy an 8-lb. sledgehammer at the local hardware store, and I even told the store owner about Shovelglove. Yay!

This week I also had to renew my driver's license. The lady at the counter asked if I was still 160 pounds, my weight 15 years ago when I first had the license issued. I said yes -- because I'm closing in on 160 again, for sure! It was so nice to NOT have to admit to her that I'd gone up to 190 as of just a few months ago!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tuesday, and today is a red letter day for me. After hovering around ALMOST thirty pounds lost for the last couple of weeks or more, I FINALLY broke that barrier. This morning I was 160.4 pounds, which is exactly 30.1 pounds lost since Mach 5!

I'm really pleased about this milestone. While I *knew* in my mind that what I've been doing has been working and it should continue to work, part of me was thinking that "it's too good to be true" and that "eventually it's going to stop working" and I would stall out. I'm pleased to have lost a solid 30 pounds, and I have no plans to stop.

155 is now within my sights. I can't remember the last time I was under 160 pounds -- I think I must have been after childbirth, but I was *way* too busy worrying about the baby's weight to weigh myself.

I'm typing this from a coffee shop. The counter is laden with delicious pastries -- truffle cake, marionberry-rhubarb crumble, lemon bars, croissants, tiny little tarts in various flavors, muffins, scones, and more. On my table are two things: (1) a double Americano with a shot of heavy whipping cream poured in, (2) a small package of dessicated orange slices -- ingredients are Oranges and Cane Sugar. (and yes, that's a smidgen of sugar -- but only 11 grams for the whole package, which is within my allowance.)

Yesterday my eyes began to get dry again and I realized I'd been in ketosis for a day or so. I turned a large sweet potato into baked sweet potato fries and ate almost ALL of them (since the kids didn't want any). That was 90+ grams of carbs. Today my eyes are no longer dry, and I finally broke that weight loss milestone. HMMMMMM. Maybe I need a carb refeed once a week -- sweet potatoes or rice or something nonharmful -- in the 80 or 90 or 100 gram range. Maybe keeping it at 60 grams per day FOREVER is too extreme.

It's nice to know I have options.

Last night I made Beef Stroganoff with leftover sirloin steak (!) (clearly I must be doing something right if I have LEFTOVER STEAK), and real sour cream. NOTE: The first package of "sour cream" I picked up at the store had a bunch of sh!t in it -- seriously?? corn starch? guar gum? WTF?!?!? So I put it back and got the package that has one ingredient: CREAM. Jesus.

I've thawed some chicken livers and I plan to make fried livers with buffalo sauce... toss them with lettuce and celery and some crumbly cheese to make a sort of buffalo chicken liver salad tonight. No one else in my house will eat it, but I will eat the heck out of it!

I have done ALL this with JUST dietary changes. NO exercise changes (except doing less of it than I was). And I know I need to exercise more, and when I begin ramping that back up, I will add muscle weight. That's normal and to be expected. But hot damn, weighing "only" 160.4 is freaking awesome to me right now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast