Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripe - overcooking meat page

vintageeats is offline Member

Gripe - overcooking meat

Primal Fuel
    Hey all!

I just hit the mother lode with a grassfed beef delivery this past weekend. It was all I talked about :-) No gripes on the delicious, delicious meat, but an advanced gripe about my boyfriend who insists upon cooking everything to beyond recognition. I got some ribeyes and I'm just dreading giving him one to cook well done..

Anybody else have a spouse/SO who prefers their meat to die a second death via overcooking?

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    Hey all!

I just hit the mother lode with a grassfed beef delivery this past weekend. It was all I talked about :-) No gripes on the delicious, delicious meat, but an advanced gripe about my boyfriend who insists upon cooking everything to beyond recognition. I got some ribeyes and I'm just dreading giving him one to cook well done..

Anybody else have a spouse/SO who prefers their meat to die a second death via overcooking?
    The simple solution is cooking it yourself. He should also be understanding of the fact that you like meat rare and prepare it the way you prefer it.

If he's not, shoulder him aside and enjoy a nice rare ribeye!
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

vintageeats is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    The simple solution is cooking it yourself. He should also be understanding of the fact that you like meat rare and prepare it the way you prefer it.

If he's not, shoulder him aside and enjoy a nice rare ribeye!
    Oh, I do. I've already told him to pull my meat off the stove when he still thinks it's raw ;-) Also have no qualms about shouldering aside for bloody meat. Mm.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I like to wave my steaks in the general direction of the flames.. Hubby on the other hand has to have his cooked beyond well done... Even fillet steak *cry*
    i just wait till his is almost done before putting mine on...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Do not let him cook your steak.

Or, only let him slow-cook food......

Oh, I do. I've already told him to pull my meat off the stove when he still thinks it's raw ;-) Also have no qualms about shouldering aside for bloody meat. Mm.
    I think the trick is to leave your steak out until his is mostly cooked (rather than take it out early). That way you can plate up together.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My ex used to cook hamburgers until they were hard and dry as hockey pucks. I only date men who like juicy meat since then.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Oh, you poor thing!! At this point, we actually are eating the odd steak cold-ass raw with some Redmond seasoned salt and a sharp knife for slicing thin-thin slices and nothing more...

I am glad to hear that you have no qualms about pushing your SO to the side when it comes time for your steak to kiss the flames. But don't complain too much about how he likes his - you, too, have a strong preference here. As long as you get yours the way you like it, you both can enjoy dinner. But I know what you mean...

My best friend - same way. She is so fat-phobic that she only gets the most lean of cuts, and then is surprised when they are dry, dry, dry, after the "thorough" cooking they need to become safe to eat, you know.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Oh, you poor thing!! At this point, we actually are eating the odd steak cold-ass raw with some Redmond seasoned salt and a sharp knife for slicing thin-thin slices and nothing more...
    Also good with fresh homemade mayonnaise.

peril is offline Senior Member
    My wife insists on her steak being trimmed of fat and cooked until all signs of life have been extinguished. I really don't know how she tells a nice piece of meat from a bad one.

I buy eye fillet (think you might call it filet) for her because it is lean and scotch fillet (rib eye?) for me for the fat and gristle. Was annoyed recently when my son cooked the scotch fillet for my wife and him and served me the eye fillet then they proceeded to cut off all the fat. Of course, I snaffled it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thankfully, no! He prefers it even rarer than I do. I like a crispy char on the outside and at least a little pink on the inside, even a lot pink is OK.

For some reason though, fish always seems to get away from him on the grill. Most stove top/oven cooking methods are a little more forgiving of well done fish. The grill - not so much.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast