Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripe - overcooking meat page 2

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Last night, my boyfriend (who is in NO way Primal) asked me to make SLOPPY JOES out of my grassfed ground beef for him. I complied and made 3oz sloppy grassfed joes rolled up in a flaky buttermilk biscuit crust. He took like 3 bites, said it was gross, an asked for a bowl of Raisin Bran. I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour. I had to garbage dispose ALL OF IT.
    *ASKED* for a bowl of Raisin Bran? I would have advised him where he can locate the kitchen and reminded him to clean up after himself. OMG.

Thankfully, my mister was raised by a mom who was into eating some weird shit (there's a story about boiled seahorses) and hasn't eaten 'four-footed critters' in 20-something years, so he graciously accepts whatever cooked meat I put on his plate. I prefer my steaks on the way rare side of medium, and he's grown to appreciate it.

Chicken, though - different story. If it shows even the slightest hint of pink near the bone, he asks I cook it more...then whinges a bit that it's dry when he does eat it.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Last night, my boyfriend (who is in NO way Primal) asked me to make SLOPPY JOES out of my grassfed ground beef for him. I complied and made 3oz sloppy grassfed joes rolled up in a flaky buttermilk biscuit crust. He took like 3 bites, said it was gross, an asked for a bowl of Raisin Bran. I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour. I had to garbage dispose ALL OF IT.
    Oh hell no. >.> I would be quite ruffled if my boyfriend said my cooking was gross, especially if it was something I made special for him that I couldn't eat! :< The nerve!

vintageeats is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Oh hell no. >.> I would be quite ruffled if my boyfriend said my cooking was gross, especially if it was something I made special for him that I couldn't eat! :< The nerve!
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    *ASKED* for a bowl of Raisin Bran? I would have advised him where he can locate the kitchen and reminded him to clean up after himself. OMG.
    Word! WORD. Cierra, that behavior is NOT cool - I hope you gave him an earful?

For the record, mine doesn't call anything gross - except to kid around with me about the amount of meat I'm eating/losing weight on - but he does request that his food gets cooked longer. I just let him cook it. Putting mine in at the very end is a great suggestion, and one I should have thought of long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Thankfully, my mister was raised by a mom who was into eating some weird shit (there's a story about boiled seahorses)
    Whoooa, that is a story I want to hear.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    Whoooa, that is a story I want to hear.
    I guess she went through a phase of (way) alternative therapies when dealing with a breast cancer scare way back when...one of mister's good friends - he lived down the street - came over one day and said the house smelled like hot, boiled death. He went through the kitchen to try and find mister to go outside and play (they were 10 or so) and said there was a pot of seahorses bubbling away on the stovetop. He admitted it was a long time before he went over for dinner again.

She totally copped to it, although she said used it as tea, never ate the seahorses.

I'd like to know where the hell to buy dried seahorses.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    For the record, mine doesn't call anything gross -
    Smart man! Mine has taken a cue from my father, who is gracious to a fault sometimes. His code for gross is "that was good, but we don't have to have it again". LOL. For some reason though, since I started cooking primal, I never hear that any more. It's more likely to be "Damn, baby, you hit it out of the ballpark again". He loves that I'm never trying to force "healthy" portions of meat on him any more.

When the kiddos were little we trained them to say, " I think that might be too sophisticated for my palate", rather than "gross". Completely hilarious coming out of a 4yo!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Early on in our marriage we had a friendly competition each week to try and get 'meal of the week', just to stop us from sliding into an half-assed rut. Now we have kids, they have taken their appreciation of our cooking to another level, from 'meal of the week' -> 'meal of the century', or even 'meal of the millenium'.

Of course, that usually correlates with days when they forgot to have afternoon tea....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

He is really picky, in a childlike kind of way. I am just glad that he ate something instead of substituting his meal with soda. I don't ever give him earfuls, I just try and accept that if he doesn't like it, it isn't his fault or my fault. I wouldnt be very happy if he lied and forced himself to eat it....

Tonight, he happily ate a buttery, seared pork chop with roasted purple potatoes and a ton of broccoli. He didn't even ask for bread, which is a huuuuge deal. AND he had bacon & eggs for breakfast! (With a cheesy English muffin on the side, but still...) I love cooking for him and gently persuading him toward a Primal way of eating, but, just as I wouldn't appreciate him nagging me to guzzle coca cola, white bread, and velveeeta, he doesn't want my way of eating forced on him.
    I can appreciate that. Mine is slowly starting not to ask me if I want to go out for ice cream, but he still offers pizza and bread. I will keep offering him bacon and eggs (or some other protein) for breakfast; It's on him if he wants to keep choosing the cereal. Proof is in the (Primal) pudding - hungry an hour after the cereal or hours later with the protein.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Smart man! Mine has taken a cue from my father, who is gracious to a fault sometimes. His code for gross is "that was good, but we don't have to have it again". LOL. For some reason though, since I started cooking primal, I never hear that any more. It's more likely to be "Damn, baby, you hit it out of the ballpark again". He loves that I'm never trying to force "healthy" portions of meat on him any more.
    Mm, "unhealthy" portions of meat. I have always known that my body functions best on this kind of fuel. Healthy-schmealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    When the kiddos were little we trained them to say, " I think that might be too sophisticated for my palate", rather than "gross". Completely hilarious coming out of a 4yo!
    I love this! Filing away for future children.

kavvmxuh is offline Junior Member
    I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My boyfriend didn't know me when I used to bake everything from scratch and make my own pasta. If he wanted I'd make him rice flour biscuits and gravy for a special occasion. But he's fine with eggs, bacon, and potatoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast