Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classing lifting thread - Having trouble with weight-lifting. page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been sitting between 163-168 for months, but I know I'm not eating enough, and I really don't have the drive right now to eat what I need to get to 170 as I'd like.

You don't say how old you are, but if high school was more than a few years ago, you won't have as much testosterone and other muscle-building hormones as you used to. Lifting helps, but won't get rid of that problem entirely.

With age also comes reduced recovery ability, so if you are a bit older, you may consider spacing out your lifting a little more. That really helped with my squats a while back.

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    I'm 22 years old. I feel like the sprint session that I do on Fridays is what slows down my recovery. But I may try spacing out my workouts more if this problem persists.

Rich - I am just curious and I don't want this question to sound condescending because that's not at all the tone I would use, but what would I get out of buying the book? I am by no means an expert in weightlifting but I am comfortable enough to do the basic Olympic lifts due to an exceptional strength and conditioning coach in high school football. What more would I gain from the book besides what the routine is, which I can already find on the Internet?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    I'm 22 years old. I feel like the sprint session that I do on Fridays is what slows down my recovery. But I may try spacing out my workouts more if this problem persists.

Rich - I am just curious and I don't want this question to sound condescending because that's not at all the tone I would use, but what would I get out of buying the book? I am by no means an expert in weightlifting but I am comfortable enough to do the basic Olympic lifts due to an exceptional strength and conditioning coach in high school football. What more would I gain from the book besides what the routine is, which I can already find on the Internet?
    It's not a condescending question at all. There's a ton of valuable information in the book. You may think you understand the mechanics of the lifts, but the analysis in the book will have you understanding them better, and applying more muscle mass to them in a more effective way.

How about this: The Kindle version is $10. If you buy it and read the entire thing and don't think you learned $10 worth, send me a PM and I'll mail you a check for ten bucks.

Ha, I appreciate the offer, but I am sure it'll be worth it. I am indeed a voracious reader so this will be the next on my list after I finish my current book. Thanks for the advice. Also, $30 for the paperback and $10 for the kindle edition? Crazy! Glad the kindle app on iPad is free...

how about a shift in macros? less fat, more protein and way more carbs. with a 4000 calorie diet, 15% is 600 cals from carbs, i.e. 150 grams. and 20% protein is 200 grams. personally, id shift the marcos. another thing, and don't get me wrong, i LOVE starting strength. LOVE it for beginners. but it isn't necessarily the ideal program for hypertrophy, particularly if you aren't a novice lifter. possibly shifting to a joe defranco styled workout, or even a classic bodybuilding-styled training program might suit your goals better. how old are you? how much lifting have you done throughout your life?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    how about a shift in macros? less fat, more protein and way more carbs. with a 4000 calorie diet, 15% is 600 cals from carbs, i.e. 150 grams. and 20% protein is 200 grams. personally, id shift the marcos. another thing, and don't get me wrong, i LOVE starting strength. LOVE it for beginners. but it isn't necessarily the ideal program for hypertrophy, particularly if you aren't a novice lifter. possibly shifting to a joe defranco styled workout, or even a classic bodybuilding-styled training program might suit your goals better. how old are you? how much lifting have you done throughout your life?
    Yeah, I should have emphasized in my posts that the program commonly referred to as "Starting Strength" is appropriate for novices. The book, Starting Strength is appropriate for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, I should have emphasized in my posts that the program commonly referred to as "Starting Strength" is appropriate for novices. The book, Starting Strength is appropriate for everyone.
    I'm 22 years old. I lifted religiously from 7th to 12th grade. Over the past four years I have lifted off and on without any serious goals, and all while running anywhere from 40-90 miles a week depending on what I was training for. But the last 4-5 months I have picked back up on lifting with a clear weight goal of 185, and am obviously no longer running. And not until the past two months have I picked up on SS. So I don't know if I would consider myself a novice. As I said before, I am very comfortable with all the movements since my high school lifting regimen was olympic-lift oriented. But I could be considered a novice given that I still have room for improvement in the deadlift and power-clean, yet have already stalled in the squat, bench, and press.

As far as shifting my macros go, what's your basis, rug?

you're probably past what one would consider as a "novice" lifter at this point. if you are legitimately stalling on your lifts, you could approach the lifts from a powerlifting or olympic lifting standpoint. try microloading or maybe you need a deload period. its hard to say really

as for a macro shift, and macros in general, i'm most definitely not a believer that the PB or a paleo style of eating is necessarily a high fat diet plan. nor is it a low carb plan. if you are maintaining weight and not gaining, then you aren't getting enough of the building blocks that you need to grow. i.e. more protein and carbs. but before i'd recommend that a 175lb person eats more than 4000-4500 total calories a day, i'd suggest they eat more protein and carbs and less "empty" fat calories. thats pretty much the easiest way i can explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    I'm 22 years old. I lifted religiously from 7th to 12th grade. Over the past four years I have lifted off and on without any serious goals, and all while running anywhere from 40-90 miles a week depending on what I was training for. But the last 4-5 months I have picked back up on lifting with a clear weight goal of 185, and am obviously no longer running. And not until the past two months have I picked up on SS. So I don't know if I would consider myself a novice. As I said before, I am very comfortable with all the movements since my high school lifting regimen was olympic-lift oriented. But I could be considered a novice given that I still have room for improvement in the deadlift and power-clean, yet have already stalled in the squat, bench, and press.

As far as shifting my macros go, what's your basis, rug?
    Novice, in this context, just means you have some room to grow before you start getting close to your genetic potential. A very rough tool to measure whether you're a novice is if you are squatting 1.5 body weights for 3 sets of 5 to full depth (below parallel, which may or may not be what your high school football S&C coach taught you. More than likely not).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you're probably past what one would consider as a "novice" lifter at this point. if you are legitimately stalling on your lifts, you could approach the lifts from a powerlifting or olympic lifting standpoint. try microloading or maybe you need a deload period. its hard to say really

as for a macro shift, and macros in general, i'm most definitely not a believer that the PB or a paleo style of eating is necessarily a high fat diet plan. nor is it a low carb plan. if you are maintaining weight and not gaining, then you aren't getting enough of the building blocks that you need to grow. i.e. more protein and carbs. but before i'd recommend that a 175lb person eats more than 4000-4500 total calories a day, i'd suggest they eat more protein and carbs and less "empty" fat calories. thats pretty much the easiest way i can explain it.
    I am guessing you mean carbs that are also a source of nutrients/AOs. Fruits, veggies, etc. I only say this because you say fat can be empty calories, but so can carbs depending on the source. But I am guessing you mean carbs in the primal sense: no grains, legumes, etc. I just want to clarify...

Rich, I was taught to go parallel, but my hiatus from lifting made me forget that. For the first three months I worked up to 230 on squats but videoed myself and realized I wasn't doing it correctly. So from there I went down to 170lbs to work on form and have since worked back up to 210.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast