Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pull-up progress stalling page

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

pull-up progress stalling

Primal Fuel
    I started this pull up program http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html a while ago being able to do about 4 pull ups. Now I can do 13-14 for my first set. However, I've been stuck at this many for a while. I work out 4 days a week doing body weight exercises. (I'm about 6' 150). Should I try weighted pull-ups and fewer reps? What is your experience with improving BW strength?

Thanks

mstrudle is offline Member
    You will not stimulate any strength gains in the muscle once you go beyond five reps. Add weight and drop the reps.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I love pull ups and chin ups. I use a weighted vest and I do them until I can't get all the way up. When I get to that point, I use my legs on a bar in front of me to help me just a little to get the rest of the way up. Then I get down walk a few steps away and shake my arms out. Then I turn around and do more until I fail again. My break time is usually ten to fifteen seconds or so and my pull up - chin up number have being going up consistently. Right now I can do eight or nine chin ups with fifty five pounds in my weight vest. I'm 5'10" and just over a buck fifty as well.

thanks guys, I'll figure out with how much weight I can do 5 pull ups and start from there. I assume it's the same with gaining strength with dips.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    definitely add weight. you can also take your pullups super slow to get down to the slow twitch fibres (a la body by science)
    I grok, therefore I am.

Would a 5x5 protocol be a good amount of reps or just until I can't do 5 reps anymore?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I would do a 'time under load' protocol. Do one pullup and the way up try to make it last between 5 to 10 seconds, and then the same for the way down. Repeat until you can repeat no longer. That way you'll hit the slow twitch fibres and you should really start seeing progress taking into account you give yourself ample rest time before the next back workout. Approx 7 to 10 days would suffice.
    I grok, therefore I am.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    @mstrudle, elaborate? I think I disagree...

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Here is an interesting summary of a study comparing reps.

http://www.cbass.com/Effortbasedtraining.htm

It doesn't matter how many reps... so long as it ends in effort.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was thinking of doing more "to failure" bodyweight exercises about twice a week... I got my ass handed to me when I did that earlier this week! So... You think, in essence, that it will yield similiar results to a 5x5 routine? Again, trying to go easy with heavy stuff considering my back issues.. :-(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast