Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Food page

Karock is offline Member

Road Food

Shop Now
    If you were planning on being on the road for 24 hrs straight, sole pilot of the vehicle, and needed fast & dry food to get you through, what would you take?

I'm planning my BunBurner Gold motorcycle ride (1500 miles in 24 hours) and am trying to figure out what to eat. Only things I can identify that will be easy to shovel through the helmet at gas stops so far is some jerky and nuts... Any other ideas? Pre-primal I used cliff bars, are there any primal-esqe versions of that?

Water is in a camelback, no big worries with that. I'll have an unsweetened tea or two to get through the wee morning morning hours, between that and banking a bit of sleep for the week prior it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Thanks!

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I would probably rely on Bulletproof coffee, both for the caffiene to stay awake and for the healthy fats to prevent excess hunger. Do a quick, intense workout when you get to your destination and then have a large, primal meal to break the fast.

If you'd prefer to eat more, canned sardines and hard boiled eggs at rest stops would be good suggestions.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    apples, jerky

...pickles?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    If it were me, I would probably rely on Bulletproof coffee, both for the caffiene to stay awake and for the healthy fats to prevent excess hunger. Do a quick, intense workout when you get to your destination and then have a large, primal meal to break the fast.

If you'd prefer to eat more, canned sardines and hard boiled eggs at rest stops would be good suggestions.
    Hard boiled eggs is a good idea! I can peel them before I go and shovel them in quickly. Time is of the essence, apples and sardines would be great but way to time consuming, and possibly messy for eating next to the gas pump. My fuel stops are about 6min total, fuel, bio, get moving.
    and LOL. After 23ish hours on the moto my plan when I get home is to grab a couple hours of sleep!
    IDK why, but the bulletproof coffee hasn't really made me less hungry the couple times I've tried it. And I don't want to 'use up' the effectiveness of caffeine before I need it. I'll be up really early (probably rolling by 4am), have a cup of coffee and a good primal meal, then just ride till done, saving the caffeine boost for the nighttime, and hit the sack when I get home (hopefully before 4am!).
    Thanks!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Pemmican, Tanka bars or other beef jerky-ish storage foods. Or smash a banana and some almond butter in a ziploc bag, bite the corner off and squeeze it into your mouth as you go.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    bite the corner off and squeeze it into your mouth as you go.
    the manly option
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    You could sub Lara Bars for the cliff bars. They're kinda spendy though...

Karock is offline Member
    Those Tanka Bars look about perfect! I didn't know they existed. Thanks!
    Biting off the end of a bag and eating that kind of thing on the move is a bit more involved than I'd like to be. Even with the cruise set I don't like to have both hands off the bars.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karock View Post
    Even with the cruise set I don't like to have both hands off the bars.
    Probably not the best idea when you're sleep-deprived, either. I can manage about six hours on bike, then it's time to not be so I can let my brain recharge.

Chopped dried fruit in with the nuts (just about typed 'your nuts' - hello, awkward) might be easier to deal with than fresh fruit if you're going for speed ingestion... I would be all over the jerky. Lara bars are super easy to make yourself on the cheap. I imagine cut veggies would keep relatively well for 24 hours, too.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Karock,

Some great things to back besides nuts and jerky include hard-boiled eggs, dried fruit, hard cheese, and olives.

I wrote a whole post about what to bring on the road if you'd like to check it out: The Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition - Travel 'n' Wellness - I think you'll find some helpful hints in there!
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast