Thread: You Are Your Own Gym Vs. Convict Conditioning page

zsz101 is offline Junior Member

You Are Your Own Gym Vs. Convict Conditioning

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I hope everyone is well! I know there have been posts on this in the past, but I'm looking for a detailed response from someone about how YAYOG and CC compare and contrast to each other in terms of results.

I've been a YAYOG enthusiast for over a year, and I've been very happy with the results, although I sometimes find it difficult to fit all the workouts in, especially during the undulating block when there are 5 workouts a week. The iPhone app that walks you through the workouts is also great.

In terms of results, I've experienced significant improvements in my strength, power, endurance, flexibility, and body composition. While I enjoy the YAYOG system, I've been considering switching to CC, as it seems to be a simpler, less involved method, but, before I make that decision, I'm curious to know if anyone can fill me in on what kind of results to expect with CC, and how they compare to those experienced with YAYOG.

Part of what I love about YAYOG is that it focuses on muscle endurance, strength, speed, and explosive power. The workouts mainly subscribe to the high intensity, low rest method, which I've read yields the best results, and there's an incredible amount of variety in terms of movements and rep tempo. I also love that tabata sprints and strappers (circuit training) are included in the program, so I get both my heavy lifting and sprinting in one program.

What concerns me about CC is that it sounds like it only focuses on muscle strength. The book suggests using a constant, slow tempo, and there's not as much variety as YAYOG offers, which makes me worry about overuse and adaptation. I also noticed that the author talks about the importance of explosive training, but there's no discussion on how that should be incorporated into the program. I imagine that since tabatas and circuit training aren't used in CC that a separate form of sprinting (stationary bike/hill sprints) would need to be incorporated.

What interests me about CC is the simplicity. The exercises and progressions appear to be straight forward, and very little equipment is needed. There also seems to be less workouts per week than YAYOG, which I would really like. If it can deliver the same results as YAYOG, I would strongly consider making the switch.

Has anyone made a transition from YAYOG to CC? If so, what was your experience like, and is it logical to expect similar results from both YAYOG and CC? Has anyone found a way to incorporate explosive training into the CC program?

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

ZZ

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    I've done both for YAYOG and CC a fair amount of time, (YAYOG 9 months, CC 9 months, YAYOG 5 months, currently back on CC).

They're both great programs and I've gotten excellent results from them. I had recently been doing YAYOG up until January but got wiped out by the flu and just as I was recovering from that I got sick a second time so for the better part of the month I was wiped out. I started back up with CC because the back to back illnesses took so much out of me I really didn't think that I could handle the four/five days a week of YAYOG.

YAYOG is more of an all around fitness routine where as CC is focused entirely on building strength. I found that when going from one to the other that I had gained in some areas while regressing in others. For example when going back to YAYOG certain exercises like the romanian deadlift were much more difficult than they had been. When going back to CC I found that I had lost some overall strength and had to drop well back from where I had been from when I had last done CC. Basically my over all endurance was better when doing YAYOG but as might be expected my over all strength was better on CC.

As far as body composition was concerned they both brought good results. I think that my shoulders and possibly biceps were better developed on YAYOG. The shoulders were probably due to the military presses from YAYOG, CC doesn't incorporate upward pressing/handstand pushups until you are up to step six on the push ups series. For better or worse there is a lot less variety in CC. A friend of mine who has also done both preferred the simplicity of the CC workouts. Over the past year he's put on about ten pounds and is definitely a lot stronger than he was previously.

CC has you initially working out either two days a week (New Blood routine) or three days a week (New Blood 2.0). In the past I had been doing the NB 2.0 3x a week but due to the illness when I recently started back on CC I've just been working out twice a week. I was concerned that it might not be enough but so far I've gained back about 5 of the 7 pounds that I lost while being sick and my body fat is actually lower than it has been for quite a long time. Surprisingly I've found that when doing CC three times a week that the extra day didn't always work out to extra gains. Working out the same body part hard twice in one week I found that I was usually still a bit stiff and achy from the earlier workout and made little to no gains. I've found that since I've been just doing the twice a week routine that I always feel fresh and strong and have been adding a fair amount of reps each week. That being said I should note that at 49 years old I don't have the same recuperative abilities that I used to. I suspect that if I was 20 or 30 years younger that the NB 2.0 routine would bring faster gains than the 2x a week routine has.

As far as explosive/tabata style training when doing CC, I used to own my grappling/mma gym and the friend that also does CC has been training with me for over ten years still comes over about once a week to train so I consider our sparring to be my weekly sprint/tabata work.

I hope that this helps, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

You might also want to check out the fitness666.com website. I actually just came across this site yesterday and they have a lot of progressions that are similar to CC but approach them in a slightly different manner that looks interesting.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Goldust,

Wow. What a terrific response! Thank you! You covered everything I was wondering about. I appreciate the detailed response.

I've decided to pursue a custom program that I constructed using elements from YAYOG, CC, Al Kavadlo's books, and the website you mentioned, fitness666.com.

Basically, I'll be doing three full body strength sessions a week, each one exercising push, pull, legs, and core muscles. The exercises I'll be using will be different variations of pullups, pushups, HSPU, dips, squats, planks, hanging leg raises, and bridges. I'll be hitting each of these exercises at least once over each week.

In addition to those, I plan on doing sprints once a week and lots of slow moving cardio. I think following a routine like this will produce more simplicity as well as more time to rest and recover, as opposed to strictly following YAYOG, where I found myself always having to complete back to back sessions without a rest day.

ZZ