Thread: Gluten Disorders: Scientific, Dietary, and Consumer Education Perspectives page

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member

Gluten Disorders: Scientific, Dietary, and Consumer Education Perspectives

Primal Fuel
    NIH is sponsoring a mini-symposium on gluten later this month. It's local for me, so I'm planning to attend. Any questions I should ask? I am including a link and the agenda.

"In honor of National Nutrition Month, the NIH Division of Nutrition Research Coordination is sponsoring a Mini-Symposium entitled, “Gluten Disorders: Scientific, Dietary, and Consumer Education Perspectives.” The meeting will be held on the NIH campus in the Masur Auditorium (Building 10, Clinical Center) on Friday, March 22nd from 8:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. The meeting will feature oral presentations and a panel discussion. The presentation topics include historical analyses of wheat gluten content, epidemiological and clinical perspectives on the diagnosis and management of gluten disorders, the status of FDA’s gluten-free food labeling rulemaking, and challenges/opportunities for managing a gluten-free diet."

link: DNRC - Gluten Disorders: Scientific, Dietary, and Consumer Education Perspectives

AGENDA
    8:00-8:30 Registration check-in (Note: Online pre-registration is required. Register at Dietary Sodium Mini-Symposium Registration)

8:30-8:45 Welcome

8:45-9:15 Why is There Gluten in My Food?
    David M. Klurfeld, PhD
    USDA Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, MD

9:15-10:15 Epidemiological and Clinical Perspectives on the Diagnosis and Management of Gluten Disorders
    Dr. Alessio Fasano
    Center for Celiac Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA

10:15-10:30 Questions and Answers

10:30-10:45 BREAK

10:45-11:15 Status of FDA’s Gluten-free Food Labeling Rulemaking
    Rhonda R. Kane, MS, RD
    Retired, FDA Consumer Safety Officer

11:15-11:45 Food, food, everywhere, but not a bite to eat! Helping individuals with gluten disorders overcome the challenges of following a gluten free diet
    LCDR Rachael Lopez, MPH, RD, CSO
    NIH-Clinical Center, Bethesda, MD

11:45-12:15 Panel Presentation and Discussion: Gluten-Free Products: Grocery, Restaurant, and Food Service Industry Perspectives
    • Beth Dorman, MS, RD, LD, Compass Group/Eurest Dining
    • Nicole Stoklosa, RD, LDN, Retail Dietitian, ShopRite Foods
    • Joy Dubost, PhD, RD, CSSD, Director of Nutrition & Healthy Living, National Restaurant Association

12:15-12:45 Discussion and Q&A

12:45 Closing Remarks

**This program has been approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration for 3 CPEUs. **
    Last edited by Dulcimina; 03-05-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: edited to fix formatting

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    ...the status of FDA’s gluten-free food labeling rulemaking...
    This is a really big one. Not only is the threshold important, but it is years late. How is the target threshold chosen, and is it affected by the limits of testing technology more than health considerations.

A real cutting edge question might be on how all this is going to be affected by the ruling that puts people with celiac in an ADA protected class.

Didn't know about the ADA protected class. i will definitely ask that one.