Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news, guys. page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Bad news, guys.

Primal Fuel
    There is a new law, EG 1924/2006:

EG 1924/2006 (english version)

The Netherlands is the first country to have this law as a test. The idea is that this law will be introduced in the entire EU and then worldwide.

Basically, this law prevents the public to know about the healthfulness of foods, unless it "scientifically proven" that the food is healthy. Companies are not allowed to make claims about the beneficial factors of their product(s).

So let's say there's a shampoo which is anti-scurf, this product may not promote itself as antiscurf unless the government has "proven" this is true.

Well, whatever, you might say, who here uses shampoo anyway?
    But it's not just companies who sell products, it's also the internet. This means that this website would not be able to exist anymore, because Mark promotes meat as healthy, but the govenment says it's not. Mark has to take the site down or he could face a €30,000 fine.

I have already seen websites go blank here.

This is major cencorship, and it's going worldwide.

This information is partly based on facts I have read from actual public government files and partly from (trustworthy) thirds.
    Billie trips balls

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm I really don't see this ever happening, not at a web site level anyway and the law is 7 years old??
    Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-05-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Basically, this law prevents the public to know about the healthfulness of foods, unless it "scientifically proven" that the food is healthy. Companies are not allowed to make claims about the beneficial factors of their product(s).
    Hmmm.... If I was Mark's lawyer in the US, he is not making a claim about the healthfulness of any of his products with the exception of the supplements. Like in the US, someone sued Nutella for advertising as a healthy product and the suer lost. It also violates the ohsobeloved tenet of free speech in the US.

That said, no idea how this might impact Europe.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Unless Mark's server is based in the Netherlands how would they even enforce this idiotic law? "Hey, dude in America, uh, take down that website based in a foreign country or we will fine you money because uh...f*ck"

Also, going worldwide how? Which body will enforce it? The UN? Yes, because we take them oh so seriously here in the US.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    This is major cencorship, and it's going worldwide.

This information is partly based on facts I have read from actual public government files and partly from (trustworthy) thirds.
    The FDA in the US has been doing this for awhile, way to catch up with us!
    FDA to Diamond Foods: "Your Walnuts Are Drugs" LewRockwell.com Blog
    Based on claims made on your firm's website, we have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease.

The back of your product label also bears the following statement: "The omega-3 in walnuts can help you get the proper balance of fatty acids your body needs for promoting and maintaining heart health. In fact, according to the Food and Drug Administration, supportive but not conclusive research shows that eating 1.5 oz of walnuts per day, as part of a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet, and not resulting in increased caloric intake, may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Please refer to nutrition information for fat content and other details about the nutritional profile of walnuts." Although FDA exercises enforcement discretion over the last two sentences of this statement, which meet the criteria for a qualified health claim for walnuts and coronary heart disease, the last two sentences read in conjunction with the first sentence makes the entire statement an unauthorized health claim.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Companies are not allowed to make claims about the beneficial factors of their product(s).
    Concerning food, I don't buy products based on what companies/Government/packages say; I eat what I think is best for me through learning about nutrition and its sub fields and reading studies on the matter. As long as I know what I'm ingesting (whole foods basically) then that's enough.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-05-2013 at 06:54 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The FDA has a certain class of claims that it requires evidence to support, and occasionally comes down on some food processor that makes outrageous unsubstantiated claims about the healthfulness of their junk food. So the health claims you see on labels on products in the US are usually pretty vague. This is a labeling thing. The internet? They can't control what nobodies say about food on the internet.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Concerning food, I don't buy products based on what companies/Government/packages say; I eat what I think is best for me through learning about nutrition and its sub fields and reading studies on the matter. As long as I know what I'm ingesting then that's enough.
    Well, maybe some people like us are already educated on what's good and what not. But somewhere you've heard what's good for you. They're trying to stop that
    Billie trips balls

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Well, maybe some people like us are already educated on what's good and what not. But somewhere you've heard what's good for you. They're trying to stop that
    Maybe, but government and most companies aren't really that reliable, profit is what they care for, not health.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would think that this law in the Netherlands is referring more to packaged "foods" or supplements that have something to claim. But how can this apply to a fruit or vegetable? I don't see this happening in the US as we already have the FDA essentially doing this already. And the FDA doesn't typically report on whole foods.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast