Thread: Low energy workouts page

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member

Low energy workouts

Shop Now
    I've been PB since beginning April 2010- not long, I know. I feel better, sleep better, I'm not craving food, I eat when I'm hungry, etc. My avg calories are about 1800 and typically I'm consuming 55%fat, 25%protein and 20%carb.

Here's the rub: I have less energy at the gym. Prime example, this morning: I was gonna do a light run on the treadmill for 20 minutes, then lift weights for a bit. It took all my energy to run for 10 minutes, but I didn't give up, I used the last 10 minutes to do walking hill work. I was only running at a 10-min mile. I can run 9-minute miles for 6 miles at a stretch, prior PB.

Anyone else have something similar? I'm committed to no grains/no sugar, so even if my energy for runs is reduced, well so be it. But is this just my body transitioning to burning fat vice glucose for energy?

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    One thing i learned is to make sure you eat tons of fat, its your source of energy. I started supplimenting my diet with heavy whipping cream(dairy doesn't affect me bad) just to raise up my fat levels, and i have noticed a def. boost to energy.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I've been told that the type of cardio to do is long and slow (at about 60% your max heart rate) or dead out sprinting. I was doing cardio at 170 heart rate and people were telling me that's too high intensity for the primal model (as non sprint cardio).

also somewhere Mark says to have some fruit or carrots right before you workout to boost your energy
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Eat a BA spoon of almond butter before you go to the gym, add a banana or apple if that doesn't work!
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    I was having energy problems with my workouts to the point where i started skipping workouts cause i couldn't build the energy to get going, but then i tried doin a 24 hr fast before my workout and man i felt like i had spent the last two days at starbucks sluggin back espresso shots. i normally just did two maybe three basic weighted exercises squats shoulder press bench press etc each workout, well i ended up doin my whole week routine in one workout, i've toned it down since then but i still make sure to fast everytime before a workout gives me killer energy.

I think FastCat may be onto something. Prior PB, I had done some HR training for about 3 months, averaging about 25 to 30 miles a week. I was generally keeping my HR in Zones 1 and 2, which corresponds to <84% (145 bpm) of my lactate threshold (LT) and 85-91% (145-155 bpm) of my LT. Over those months I increased my speed while keeping my HR in the appropriate lower zones. But, the run this morning (I'm embarrassed to call it a run because it was only 10 minutes) was at a slow pace AND my HR was in Zone 4 (163-169).

Anyone else notice a higher HR while working out versus similar workouts prior PB?
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 04-30-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: meant LT and not MHR.

Holy crap! I'm not sure that anyone really cares about my workouts but..... my workout this morning was AWESOME. I had so much energy, I felt like I'd consumed some No-Xplode. There were two variables to this morning's workout that were different from my low-energy workouts.

1) It's a Saturday so I slept in and had a bit of coffee with heavy cream before my workout. Normally, I work out first thing in the morning before I consume anything except water. Total cream consumed prior workout: about 2 oz.

2) I worked out at a much lower HR. I kept my HR in Zone 1, which equates to about 75% of my MHR (and less that 84% of my LT). I did an extremely slow walk (2.9 mph) on the treadmill but I boosted the grade to 10%- figured if I'm gonna go slow, I'm gonna at least work my buns. When I stepped off the treadmill after 30 minutes, I literally felt like I could take on the world. I had so much energy, I was slightly shaking (in a good way, not a muscle-failure sort of way).

So, maybe other people can learn from my experience. It is gonna be difficult to not do harder cardio because, well, I like it. But I do not like working out where every step is a test of my personal inner strength and I am forcing myself to do something.