Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB nuts...which are ggood...which are bad??? page

Rich is offline Junior Member

PB nuts...which are ggood...which are bad???

Primal Fuel
    Hi I have been adding a lot of mixed nuts into my full cream yoghurt with a splash of honey for a breakfast substitute but have read that cashew nuts are not ideal??? has anyone got a list of nuts i can use?

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Macadamias and cocnut are the best due to their superior fatty acid profile. I think I read that walnuts are the worst with their very high n-6 content?

To be honest I don't usually eat much nuts these but I will sometimes have macadamias, coconut (quit often) and almonds.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hi I have been adding a lot of mixed nuts into my full cream yoghurt with a splash of honey for a breakfast substitute but have read that cashew nuts are not ideal??? has anyone got a list of nuts i can use?
    The top 2 favorites for PB people are macadamia and almonds. (and coconut if you count that as a nut) Macadamias have the best O3-O6 ratio around. Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    I think I read that walnuts are the worst with their very high n-6 content?
    Not quite. Yes, they have a lot of O6, but as long as you are getting good whole, raw walnuts there isn't much to worry about as it is the oxidized O6 you are to worry about. Also the English Walnut (what I eat) has the most O3 of pretty much any readily available nut around. Sure its in the plant form which isn't converted very efficiently but still a fair amount of O3 to add to your diet.
    Primal Wisdom: Paleo Diet Basics: Why I Eat Walnuts

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    I remember a chart Mark posted before which showed a very good O3:O6 ratio for cashews which is why I've been eating them. Did I miss something?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Technically speaking cashews are legumes, and if you are going to eat them they should be soaked in water to remove phytates.

The best nuts IMO are macadamias, Brazil nuts in limited quantities for Selenium and pecans.

Personally, except for coconut milk I eat them in very limited quantities and seldom, because I tend to overdo it when I do.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I've read on MDA that cashews are a seed, not a legume (or nut).

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    I love macedamias but they're so expensive. I still buy some but I need another nut to help keep my avg nut cost down.

Rhiannon8404 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read on MDA that cashews are a seed, not a legume (or nut).
    Yep!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Add in Brazil nuts in small quantities as a 'whole food supplement' to provide selenium

Timthetaco Guest
    I wouldn't restrict myself to just one or two types of nuts based on fatty acid profiles. I'm a big fan of almonds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast