Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Virgin Diet page

MerryMac is offline Junior Member

The Virgin Diet

Shop Now
    Has anyone read this book? I saw a short segment of JJ Virgin's PBS show, and her recommendations seem paleo-ish, but she recommends eliminating eggs to lose weight. I eat eggs nearly every day, and I'm wondering whether this has contributed to a stall in weight loss. Eggs are such a convenient and economical food--even pastured eggs are affordable for most people--and I'd hate to give them up, but I'm considering doing a 21-day elimination to see. Any thoughts?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    No idea.

If I stopped eating eggs, I'd probably end up SOL. Reason? I eat two meals a day. One has eggs as protein, the other has meat. I can't afford to buy more meat.

So, the first meal would just be veg, broth, and. . . maybe some fruit? Maybe nuts? And then the second meal would be the meat one. Probably do-able, but i bet that I would be hungry.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I did a whole 30, which for me included removing eggs and dairy as I suspected them for possible allergies. The weight flew off me. They do say that if you are eating food you have a problem with it causes you to hold on to weight. I have been unable to reintroduce those foods again. I have not heard of her though
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I love the taste of virgin in the morning.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I love the taste of virgin in the morning.
    Beat me to it.

Makes no sense to me though. What's her rationale that eggs are bad?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Aussie16 is offline Member
    This from the main website:

"Are you eating all the right things—low-fat yogurt, egg-white omelets, whole-grain bread, even tofu—but still can’t lose the weight? Your favorite “diet” foods may be to blame."

Uhhh yeh!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Beat me to it.
    I figure one might starve, just like on the Unicorn Diet.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Some diet books are written by people who lost weight on some program they developed. Others are written by writers with no real background in health or nutrition that would have allowed them some real insight into the science of weight loss. Many are written by people who should know better, or would if they had bothered to do research.

The purpose of weight loss diets is to sell books and other products by presenting a plausible-sounding reason how they might work. Most diet doctors who have success with their patients do so because going to a doctor is a major motivating factor in staying with the program. Most web diet membership programs have success because people who pay $$$ are committed to stay with the program, and they provide active support and a community.

"Success" is relative and anecdotal and does not suggest there has been any long-term follow-up. In all likelihood, most people who lose weight using almost any program put it right back on again afterwards.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    I know some people have problems with eggs. I, on the other hand, lose weight if I eat a big meal in the morning with 2-3 eggs. I would be really hungry if I didn't eat eggs.

Rhiannon8404 is offline Junior Member
    I know a few people with sensitivities to certain proteins in egg whites. So clearly if that's the case giving eggs up is a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast