Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compound Lift Workouts: Effects of Fatigue on Performance page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah your spent. Try saying it in sciency words won't change it. CNS is trashed, and its actually more like creatine phosphate depletion (at least a large part is) than glycogen depletion when your doing those max effort lifts. Basically you lose your top gear fuel. Anyhow, either split up those demanding lifts or nix the supplemental stuff at the end. I guess the other option is to start supplementing creatine.... I use to do it when I competed as a wrestler.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies! I'm reading up on how the CNS works.

To clarify, I'm seeking information and understanding about how and why glycogen depletion/ creatine phosphate depletion/ CNS fatigue occurs and, accordingly, what I can do to mitigate the resulting effects to sustain these types of workouts.

My rationale is:

1) Doing the 3 powerlifts creates an anabolic hormone response, which theoretically at least will translate into more effective results for the proceding accessory lifts;

2) Following a split routine, in my situation, seems like a waste of my time: it may be marginally more optimal for strength gains, but I have other priorities in life and find that one workout every 5 days fits my schedule well.

3) My CNS should, over time, become more resilient if it gets exposed to some stress.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    3) My CNS should, over time, become more resilient if it gets exposed to some stress.
    Don't forget that it is during the recovery phase that the resilience and strength are built. You can't just stress yourself all the time to failure and expect results.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i'm going to approach this from a different angle... do you train on an empty stomach? are you a low-carber? had you experienced these symptoms before switching to a paleo/primal diet?

the reason i ask is because for the first year of eating paleo (i'm over 3 years in now) i was pretty much a low-carber (not sure why). i never struggled with my heavy lifts, but after about 6 months, when it came time for sprinting, any type of met-con, or any type of HIT exercises, i felt gassed, my heart raced and i felt like i was going to puke. needless to say my workouts suffered. so i experimented with some carb cycling methods until i found what worked for me. and i haven't experienced this type of thing since then. i also know that i do experience similar symptoms if i attempt to do too much volume of work on an empty stomach. weakness, heart races, nausea. so now i usually have a meal about an hour or so before my workouts. or at least a small snack 20 minutes before. it seems to do the trick for me
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

goneprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i'm going to approach this from a different angle... do you train on an empty stomach? are you a low-carber? had you experienced these symptoms before switching to a paleo/primal diet?

the reason i ask is because for the first year of eating paleo (i'm over 3 years in now) i was pretty much a low-carber (not sure why). i never struggled with my heavy lifts, but after about 6 months, when it came time for sprinting, any type of met-con, or any type of HIT exercises, i felt gassed, my heart raced and i felt like i was going to puke. needless to say my workouts suffered. so i experimented with some carb cycling methods until i found what worked for me. and i haven't experienced this type of thing since then. i also know that i do experience similar symptoms if i attempt to do too much volume of work on an empty stomach. weakness, heart races, nausea. so now i usually have a meal about an hour or so before my workouts. or at least a small snack 20 minutes before. it seems to do the trick for me
    After reading about the benefits of fasted workouts I've been playing around with them. I generally don't like anything in my stomach when I'm doing squats or deadlifts. Thanks for your n=1, next session I'll get some carbs in me and see what happens.

I do a lot of mountain biking, and definitely have more energy after an hour than most of my riding buddies who don't eat paleo/ aren't fat adapted. I love it - never seem to bonk.
    Last edited by goneprimal; 03-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    To clarify, I'm seeking information and understanding about how and why glycogen depletion/ creatine phosphate depletion/ CNS fatigue occurs and, accordingly, what I can do to mitigate the resulting effects to sustain these types of workouts.
    Yeah, but that's the nature of MAX effort. If you go all out, then you're spent. To not be spent is to not have gone all out.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 03-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12