gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    This is all true it happened to me twice last week
    Thank goodness you didnt die thrice.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    If you're carb-depleted, and you work out with intensity, your body will use protein for fuel. Fat is used for fuel during low intensity exercise/activities.
    Carbs will spare protein when working out with high intensity, and also save your body from converting protein to glucose to replenish glycogen afterwards.
    This! For high intensity exercise the body needs glucose and if no dietary glucose or glycogen, then it must get it from breaking down proteins from food or lean body tissue. Fat is "low octane" and cannot fuel high intensity exercise, so if you are able to keep the intensity up without glucose/glycogen, guess what fuels the training?

A very little amount of glucose can be made from fat through glycerol though…

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    This! For high intensity exercise the body needs glucose and if no dietary glucose or glycogen, then it must get it from breaking down proteins from food or lean body tissue. Fat is "low octane" and cannot fuel high intensity exercise, so if you are able to keep the intensity up without glucose/glycogen, guess what fuels the training?
    Fat?

Peter Attia has done extensive self-experimentation using nothing but fat as a fuel source. I've experimented with a small sweet potato after heavy lifting, but currently doing neither "pre-carb" nor "re-carb". And my energy levels are actually better than when I carbed.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I know. I run the international sugar conglomerate -- being one of the immortal illuminati like Keanu Reeves -- and we keep an extensive list of everyone who does and does not eat "adequate" sugar, using our special radio technology from outer space, for which the "international space station" is just a front.

We use our special weather machines to send the swarms of bees and scorpions when we are not creating snowmaggedons and hurricanes at the east coast and deep south. We simply redistribute sugar from sweet tea through the weather, but we noted that a good side effect of our machines was the control of certain insect populations. It became even more handy, then, to simply use it to send swarms when someoe was "acting up' and not taking in adequate sugar.

We are wathcing you, Tribal Rob. We Are Watching.

I Knew it! *scurry's away to fashion tinfoil hat for self*
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    If you're carb-depleted, and you work out with intensity, your body will use protein for fuel.
    Fat is used for fuel during low intensity exercise/activities.
    Carbs will spare protein when working out with high intensity, and also save your body from converting protein to glucose to replenish glycogen afterwards.
    Close to correct, BUT..... Just don't forget to add in that while this at a glance is general physiology "low carb eats lean mass" schtick breaks down under scrutiny of actual clinical trials. Under isocaloric conditions and same amount of resistance training lean mass is retained just as well if not better on low carb protocols as those of moderate to higher carb.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Fat?
    Peter Attia has done extensive self-experimentation using nothing but fat as a fuel source.
    Yes, but the body cannot keep up the intensity without glucose, fat cannot fuel anarobic high intensity work, fat is the fuel for aerobic steady state work! When running out of glucose/glycogen the intensity goes down and/or the body ramp up neoglucogenesis, creating glucose out of breaking down your precious muscle tissue! Why do you think the best marathon runners have so little muscles? Because they feed their running by them...

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me, It's not a matter of "am I going to die or not." Basically I bust my ass doing Crossfit and I want to maximize the benefits of all that work. If I am shooting myself in the foot by not eating any protein or carbs post workout then to me that is bad. Of course I wont die, but I want to make progress in burning fat and gaining muscle.

I do not go crazy post workout, but I do try to have protein and moderate carbs in the form of sweet potatoes or white rice (in the 100g range). I also think carb cycling is beneficial, so I do not eat a ton of carbs after every workout, mostly the ones where I know I've done a lot of lifting.

I am too lazy to micromanage every gram of protein and carb that I am taking, but for the most part I feel that I am helping myself along by having some post workout food.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)