Thread: Hi! Former Zero Carber here, hoping PB will, um... save my life! page

Space Cheetah is offline Junior Member

Hi! Former Zero Carber here, hoping PB will, um... save my life!

Primal Fuel
    Howdy, folks!

I posted a ridiculously long comment on the "Why not zero carb?" post, and it made me think I should just come to the forum, share my story, and get involved.

I am obese, infertile, pre-hypertensive, hypoglycemic, and hypothyroid. I am 33 years old. If I kept eating sad, I'm utterly convinced I'd never get pregnant and be dead by 50. I need this.

Sorry this story is long. Obviously you don't have to read it, but for the sake of posterity, here it all is:

It's a pretty classic story - started gaining weight at puberty. Never small but never huge until well into my 20s. At age 30 I realized I weighed 292 lbs. and freaked out. Pre-diabetic, pre-hypertensive, PCOS, insulin resistance, the usual.

Being that fat felt so surreal. I had been a dancer when I was younger, very active in drill team, went for long walks every day just because. Now I was sedentary, unhealthy, and fat. I carry weight very well, so I was able to get away with more than most: a blessing and a curse.

For about a year I had been researching Zero Carb. Lurking, reading, ruminating. I had tried Weight Watchers, Metabolife, Nutrisystem, the grapefruit diet, Low Carb, Very Low Carb, Low-Fat, Low-Cal, the cabbage soup diet, step aerobics, walking, you name it. I would lose some weight, go off the diet, gain back more. I did that from the time I was about 12 years old.

Now I weighed 292 lbs. And I was just. Over it. So I took the ZC plunge.

I did ZC for about a year. I was committed. For 10 consecutive months I was very strict. I proved that not all fat people have no will power. I didnít cheat once. Not a diet soda or a packet of Splenda or a slice of cucumber. I lost 70 lbs. and it was awesome.

For me it was not a diet - it was for life. A new lifestyle. And I lasted longer than I ever have on any yo-yo diet.

Then I stopped losing weight. Just plateaued. I got depressed and started drinking diet soda. It was my only "treat," my one source of happiness. I started gaining, so I gave it up. Still plateaued. On the forum they told me to just hang in there, and think about giving up dairy, but I was not willing to give up anything else.

Over time I got less and less strict, out of frustration and also out of, letís face it, utter boredom with the diet. And a feeling of disgust with all the greasy meat I was eating.

Then I had breast reduction surgery (which made me feel like I deserved ice cream), got engaged, started planning a wedding, and over a yearís time Iíve gained back 30 lbs of the 70 I lost.

Iím so bummed.

I am currently struggling with infertility due to PCOS from insulin resistance. I'm not sure this went away when I was 40 lbs. lighter than I am now, but it was better. I had more-or-less regular periods, anyway.

I owe a lot to Charles and the great people over at the Zeroing In On Health forum. I have nothing negative to say about them at all. But ZC is not realistic for me.

For one, I feltÖ gross. Yes, I lost weight, and that was FABULOUS! But I missed eating vegetables and fruit even more than I missed cake and soda. (Ok, maybe not sodaÖ) I just felt like I was never eating freshness, if that makes sense. You are what you eatÖ I felt greasy and brown inside. I was indeed living off Wal-Mart meat. It was all I could afford.

I also experienced two prolonged bouts of constipation lasting about 2 weeks each and resulting in store-bought enemas, a lot of pain, and terrible hemorrhoids. Sorry for the TMI but hey, this is for science.

During that trouble, I asked for advice on the forums, and they told me my gut had been damaged by cellulose from vegetables and that I needed to eat more fat. They told me Iíd poo when I was ready, and I was like, ďNo seriously you guys. Iím READY.Ē

I was eating TONS of fat. So that wasnít it. Of course, deep down (pun!) I KNEW I needed some kind of roughage to help food move through my bowel. Maybe not everyone does but apparently I do.

I don't want to argue with ZCers. I am not a scientist. What it boils down to is I WANT to eat vegetables. And if there is a way to do that and still lose weight and be healthy Ė why not?

Iím coming off just over a year of not having much control over my diet. I moved two days after the wedding. New husband, new city, new job. Stress. I've been out of control.

I knew I didn't want to do ZC again. But I didnít want to do Paleo, b/c I like dairy and Iím not convinced saturated fat is the enemy.

I stumbled upon Primal by accident Ė but I donít believe in accidents. This was 2 days ago and I don't even remember where I heard about it. I stayed up til 4 a.m. reading everything. Most of it is not news - same principles as ZC. But I like the way Mark incorporates fitness, and the information on genes has been fascinating. I said, "This is a sign. I start now."

One day in, I feel like Iím supposed to feel. I even took my fat ass for a walk, a session of outdoor play (poking around a creek), and a sprint. The latter two I have not done in SO LONG.

Since I've done ZC, the transition and the restriction are not new to me. I feel good already.

My husband is active duty military and jogs almost daily. I've tried it, too, and did better than I thought possible, but I'm just not convinced - as he is - that exercise is supposed to be grueling and awful. Also, at age 44 this month, his knees are all but blown out. Despite his hard work, he has a "carb belly" and lots of inflammation. But he's convinced a "real man" eats whatever he wants.

Today I walked over to the walking track and ignored the track. Climbed down and poked around by the creek. Took photos. Walked in crunchy leaves. And then, because I read it on MDA and thought "eff it," I sprinted. Just for a few seconds. I am way too fat to sprint, but I did it. I haven't done it in... a decade, maybe? And it felt. so. good.

My goal right now is to have a baby. I just had laparoscopic ovarian drilling - they basically burn holes in your ovaries - to help me achieve that goal. But what I really need is overall health and natural fertility. I have neither the will nor the finances to go to extreme measures like IVF, and adoption, while beautiful and amazing, is a last resort due to the time and expense. I am 33 and my husband is 44. This fall, he deploys for a year. Time is of the essence here.

I have a long way to go to be healthy and get pregnant, but I know Primal can help me get there. Iíve proven to myself I have the will power to control my diet. Now I just have to have the will power to be more active, and stick with it.

All the articles here Ė especially the links in the text Ė are so helpful. Iíve learned a lot alreadyÖ Now if I can just figure out how to do this on a budget Ė and get my pig-headed husband on board Ė Iíll be all set.

Thanks for reading. God bless all of you and your journeys to health.
    Kristen
    Former ZCer new to PB
    Battling: infertility, PCOS, insulin resistance, obesity
    ----
    "Do what terrifies you. Everything else is boring." - some guy

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Space Cheetah! It doesn't sound like you'll have very much trouble with Primal. Gettlin healthy is why I'm here also and I have had great results in only 4 months. It's amazing really. I very much hope you have similar experiences. I had a C Reactive Protien test 2 wweks ago and it was only 0.9. For me that is a fantastic reduction in inflamation. For others it's not great, but I expect to have continued reduction.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are ready for safe starches.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right