Thread: Moving from the "trim away excess fat" to "actually get fit" phase page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Moving from the "trim away excess fat" to "actually get fit" phase

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, I've been primaling at about 80% or so for two months now. I'm male, 38, 6'1", and started a bit over 220lb and not able to run a full mile or do more than ten pushups. I've gotten to 200 and lost two waist inches in just two months, and I feel great all over. For me, it was the grains more than anything else. I especially try to keep blood sugar low until lunch or later by eating zero carb or no breakfast, and I've been doing a ton of walking (2 - 6 miles daily depending on work demands). I have been doing other exercises, mainly calisthenics-oriented, and I have a barbell so I've been doing overhead presses, light weight squats, deads, and clean and jerks. I can now do three pullups and about 25 pushups. Eventually I'd like to have the body I had in my late 20s, the healthiest time of my life - around 175-180 lb and able to handle some extensive activity - multi day mountain hike/climbs, full days of intense snowboarding (off piste, deep powder, black diamond), etc. I'm not an "athlete" or marathoner, my goals are just to be good and properly fit for an active life.

I'm thinking to keep the focus on weight loss till I hit around 190, I feel like the abdomen fat is the next thing to go. From there, the next stage I think is to transition less from a weight-loss perspective into a get-fit perspective. I feel like the primal blueprint exercise recommendations, which I've basically been following, are good but they seem more like health maintenance than active get-fit recommendations. I am thinking about just trying to extend my park-based exercise routines more - pull ups, burpees, hill sprints, plyo, etc., and getting a few toys like a weighted vest, medicine ball, etc. Or do you think I need to join a gym or P90x or crossfit or something to really build some strength and get somewhat ripped?

Second question (sorry about length): I also play racquetball for 2-3 hrs once a week. This is roughly comparable to basketball as a workout, mostly aerobic with intense sprint-like periods. I have found that with low-carbs, I have a tendency to 'poop out' about an hour into the game. Is it a good idea to carb-load before games, and if so should I eat a carby breakfast, or dinner, eat some grapes mid-game, or all three? My #1 priority is still weight loss, but I do enjoy winning at racquetball too!
    Thanks everyone, I really enjoy lurking here and reading all the great stuff.

Dryden is offline Member
    I'll cast my vote for P90X. I absolutely love it. It's a well produced set with great routines for all around fitness, and Tony Horton is an excellent instructor. I know a lot of people shy away from exercise videos because they think it's kind of cheesy, but the P90X series does a good job of getting around that, IMHO. I don't know anybody personally that has done P90X and not liked it or seen almost instant results, outside of those who enter the program on bum-knees and throw in the towel after Plyometrics on Day 2.

Now, to be fair, if you have any commitment to do HIIT for 60 minutes a day for 90 days, you're going to get ripped. So you don't necessarily have to do P90X to see those results. Though for ~$120 to own the program for life, it sure beats a gym membership!

Also, one of the nice elements of P90X is that you are free to mix-up the routines after you have the basic structure down, and through repetition you will probably find that after six or seven weeks you can do the routines without needing the accompanying videos, which is a plus in that you can get a workout done in around 30-45 minutes.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    HEventually I'd like to have the body I had in my late 20s, the healthiest time of my life - around 175-180 lb and able to handle some extensive activity - multi day mountain hike/climbs, full days of intense snowboarding (off piste, deep powder, black diamond), etc. I'm not an "athlete" or marathoner, my goals are just to be good and properly fit for an active life.
    i think you've already defined your get fit exercise routines right there.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    In regards to the racquetball. I find fruit works well a little before hand (hour or two) to keep me perked when I head out climbing.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks both, but Batty, since I live in New York City, have no car, and have a demanding job, I can't exactly depend on mountain trekking and snowboarding to get me fit this summer. I will take a three or four day trek in Central Oregon this summer but I don't think it's a great fitness plan to wait around for that trip to make me fit.
    Dryden, P90x does sound appealing even though I've never been one to take to video lessons. My wife has about 100 yoga dvds gathering dust right now. Maybe another month of weight loss and gradual conditioning before I am P90x-ready? I just added a couple of plyo things to my park exercises - hop up on a park bench, to the right, back down, then back to the original spot. 10 reps of that at full speed and I'm pretty gassed.

mstrudle is offline Member
    Buy a barbell and a 300 pound weight set, and do deadlifts and a press of some sort; overhead is good if you don't have a bench. In a place like NYC, there should be plenty of good quality, used weight sets for $150 and below. 2 sets of deadlifts and 2 sets of press, with the second set at 90% of the weight of the first set, is my routine. Rest five minutes inbetween each set.

Buy a 16kg/35lb kettlebell, and do circuits once or twice a week with it. I like to do 10 one-handed swings/10 one-handed snatches each side, followed by ten pushups for my first circuit, and then rest one minute and add five reps to each exercise for the second set, and another five for the third set. If you're doing it right your forearms, traps, lats, legs, everything will be crying for mercy by the end. I've been doing this about two weeks with good results.

Also, if you want explosivity plyo box jumps and various hip flexor drills are good.