Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arguing with Co-Worker about Primal page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think most of the speculation about the effect of eating "acidic" food is nothing but speculation. But does this person drink soda? The high level of phosphoric acid in soda has been shown to demineralize bones in the body. If Coke or Pepsi were waste, they would legally be classed as hazardous waste, due to the low pH.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The high level of phosphoric acid in soda has been shown to demineralize bones in the body. .
    This is a popular myth. Soda is terrible, but not because of the trace amounts of phosphoric acid.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think most of the speculation about the effect of eating "acidic" food is nothing but speculation. But does this person drink soda? The high level of phosphoric acid in soda has been shown to demineralize bones in the body. If Coke or Pepsi were waste, they would legally be classed as hazardous waste, due to the low pH.
    There is only 60mg of total phosphorus content per 12oz, which is easily used up by the fructose content in normal coke(hfcs). Not saying hfcs isn't bad, but that whole idea of phosphoric acid in soda wasting bones in bodies is another reason why conventional alternative health is such a joke. It seems designed to take the least provable thing and create an absurd theory in order to instill fear mongering.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Zach is offline Banned
    About the same amount of 1oz ground beef.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    see discussion on page 12.
    http://robbwolf.com/wp//wp-content/u.../Episode99.pdf

Your body buffers itself to keep your ph in a proper range. Your co-worker is being annal if he thinks you have to be so mindful of the acid/base foods he eats.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post

Your body buffers itself to keep your ph in a proper range. Your co-worker is being annal if he thinks you have to be so mindful of the acid/base foods he eats.
    It buffers itself by leech calcium, that is kind of a big deal.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It buffers itself by leech calcium, that is kind of a big deal.
    I have this full 6 hours of this seminar (8 minute summary) and Mat Lalonde says the whole acid-base arguments that Cordain puts forth is bunk and Robb Wolf relies upon Mat's professional opinions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_l5Lsj4FDg

"Part of the deal with this is that we've got a whole bicarbonate buffering system at the respiratory level which can exchange pounds of either acid or base per day based on what we have occurring on a respiratory level.

So when you start getting into all of these renal physiology and acid-base balance and everything, then you can have things being handled by the kidneys. You can have things being handled on more the lung level.

We understand pretty clearly from the research on this stuff that--they had a great study. I know I've linked to it a couple of times. I think I did a blog post on it, related to increased protein intake in post-menopausal women improving bone mineral density. So at the end of the day, the questions that typically pop up related to this are around (1) bone mineral density and then (2) cancer which we'll get to in a second. But what we find is that when people increase their protein intake, you may in fact get some increased urine excretion of hydrogen ions in acid excretion, but we also see a bunch of other compensatory mechanisms hat make it just fine with regards to a bone mineral status and it may actually improve it, and that seems to be the stuff that we're seeing.

So looking at simply what we are peeing out is neglecting several other avenues on this acid-base piece, not the least of which is respiratory acid-base balance in the bicarbonate shuffling either into or out of the blood as acid-base buffer. So that's one piece."
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Little Women is offline Member
    Re. co-workers or others who won't stop arguing with you, try the "broken record" method: "That may be, but I'm trying this for now." "That may be, but I'm getting good results from primal." "You may be right, but the primal method makes more sense to me right now." "Maybe, but I'm doing this, right now." "Maybe, but I've made this decision for me, right now."

If you can think fast enough, add the "bean dip" argument (OK, maybe not the best title, for this forum, but that's how I've heard it described in the past): broken record, followed by "Did you see the new memo from the boss? How are we going to make that happen?" Broken record, then "did you try these [whatever food may be available]? They are so yummy! I wonder who brought them. What did you think of them?"

Broken record, change the subject, preferably with a question....
    Broken record, change the subject with another question......

They'll get tired of it and you won't have to think of new arguments.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If Little Women's suggestion fails, I find that a flat stare followed with ignoring the idiot usually makes them go away. If all else fails "piss off" works wonders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123