Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does 1900-2000 calories/day look like on Paleo diet

Hybrid View

What does 1900-2000 calories/day look like on Paleo diet

I'm having a hard time getting above 1500 calories so I'd like to solicit some feedback from you on what you 1900 calorie + daily menu looks like to get ideas. I've lost very little doing Paleo over the last month because I suspect I'm flirting with starvation mode.

Thanks,
    Molly

4 eggs with coconut oil, and greek yogurt with apple for breakfast

Salad with a number of vegetables, about 5 oz of meat, and some olive oil for lunch

dinner with a big piece of meat, sometimes fattier cuts like ground beef and then a potato with butter

snacks include a handful of nuts, glass of whole milk

if you want to keep track of what you eat, just go to cronometer.com and plug it in. that's a great way to determine what's going in
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

My sample day of 1966 calories consumed (gross). The day's activity was Les Mills Body Flow.

Breakfast: 1 tbsp heavy cream in my coffee, 2 HB eggs, Greek yogurt, a few strips of bacon and a green apple

"Lunch": coffee with another tbsp of heavy cream

Dinner: Sauteed vegetables and fresh pork sausage, a piece of leftover pork loin, some cheese, banana, 2 dark chocolate truffles

Total macros: 120g fat, 130g carbs, 99g protein (or a 54/26/20% F/C/P split)

I'm 27, female, 157lbs (<25% BF). This was a PMS-induced "refeed" day carbs-wise, after a full week of being under 70 a day.
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.

200 calories, 200 ways:

What Does 200 Calories Look Like?

The short answer is it will vary wildly based on the fat content of the meal. The fattier the portion, the smaller the portion. Very calorically dense things: nuts, cheeses, chocolate, dried fruits. Those are some of the biggest stallers of weight loss. Of course, the most calorically dense thing a human being can consume is pure, rendered fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    200 calories, 200 ways:

The short answer is it will vary wildly based on the fat content of the meal. The fattier the portion, the smaller the portion. Very calorically dense things: nuts, cheeses, chocolate, dried fruits. Those are some of the biggest stallers of weight loss. Of course, the most calorically dense thing a human being can consume is pure, rendered fat.
    I went to the link to see many more photos of 200 calories. It is interesting how many of the photos were immediate appetite suppressants.

200 calories, 200 ways:

The thing that detracts from these sort of pictorial representations of calories, is they so often lack context. For example, when I look at that picture of kiwifruit, I am thinking how many Kiwi's is that? Maybe 2? But of course a typical Kiwi fruit is 40 calories so that is probably about 5 kiwis. Not helpful for me at all in visualising it. Likewise the pat of butter. The way it is shaped it could be a whole 250g packet, or a 1cmx1cm x0.5cm cube. I can't tell. There are bunch of those sites. I once found one which had a picture of a measuring cup of rice with the label 'a cup of rice x calories'. Ummm.

Thanks to those who put in their actual consumption, with calorie counts. That is much easier to visualise even though it doesn't have pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    The thing that detracts from these sort of pictorial representations of calories, is they so often lack context. For example, when I look at that picture of kiwifruit, I am thinking how many Kiwi's is that? Maybe 2? But of course a typical Kiwi fruit is 40 calories so that is probably about 5 kiwis. Not helpful for me at all in visualising it. Likewise the pat of butter. The way it is shaped it could be a whole 250g packet, or a 1cmx1cm x0.5cm cube. I can't tell.
    Picture also provides the weight of the object. An ounce of butter - 28g - is pretty easy to guess by hand or on the end of a spoon. Likewise, a medium apple is around 120-140g - so the pic is 2-3 apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    Thanks to those who put in their actual consumption, with calorie counts. That is much easier to visualise even though it doesn't have pictures.
    150g uncooked rice.
    Two salmon fillets.
    Mixed vegetables.

Two tablespoons almond butter.
    Four small bananas.
    Blueberries.
    Carton of cottage cheese.

2000kcal. I added three chocolate balls to make 2300. Easy.

And how does this help OP?

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    And how does this help OP?
    How does having a large list of pictures of dozens of foods in 200 calorie portions, allowing the OP to make a menu easily simply based on looking at the foods with whatever combination they so desire help them?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

How does having a large list of pictures of dozens of foods in 200 calorie portions, allowing the OP to make a menu easily simply based on looking at the foods with whatever combination they so desire help them?
    Because saying "cheese and nuts are the biggest stallers of weight loss" and is not an answer to "I think I need to increase my calories, please give me a sample menu." Unless you're saying that OP should eat an extra 400 calories of not cheese and nuts?
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.