Thread: McDonald's to build on World Heritage site

Hybrid View

McDonald's to build on World Heritage site

Helping to spread obesity to all corners of the world...
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Sure doesn't surprise me. They're opening a new one near me despite 90% local opposition (the state business body overruled the local council).
    They could have opened two miles away on the 6 lane highway where there is already a lot of development, but instead they're going to open on a two lane road (where there is already severe bottlenecking), in a low development area of outstanding natural beauty, and opposite a primary school.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Sure doesn't surprise me. They're opening a new one near me despite 90% local opposition (the state business body overruled the local council).
    With 90% oppostion they will go out of business - problem solved. Though I am willing to bet this does not happen. We had huge oppostion to a McDonalds opening in my hometown about 10 years ago. Many people fought against it, wrote editorials, threw a fit, etc. Now the same people eat there all the time.

As for the OP's article: Well, unless I misread the article, which is possible as it is early and I am undercaffienated, it looks as if there is already a fastfood place there which McD is renovating and moving into. As such, it might actually improve the look/feel of the area. Perhaps it is not ideal, but it is not as if they are just building a new location up there in a previously pristine spot.