Thread: HIIT for the Out-of-Shape page

MerryMac is offline Junior Member

HIIT for the Out-of-Shape

Primal Fuel
    I usually walk at lunch, but since it's so freakin cold out today, I decided to walk the stairs in my office building. There are only 5 floors, so that means there are only 4 flights of stairs. I went from first to fifth and back down 5 times. I started out running but soon slowed because I was very out of breath and my legs felt like noodles. My question is does this qualify as HIIT? I'm pretty out of shape, I know.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I'd say that qualifies as HIIT. Interval training is extremely subjective to the individual. The usual standard for HIIT is short bursts of high intensity exercise (meaning high heart beat, breathing extremely heavily) followed by long periods of medium intensity. If you'd like a few more insights about HIIT, I wrote about it here: Primer on Fitness - Travel.

Keep on keepin' on. Small progress is better than no progress at all!
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Excellent! Don't worry whether it qualifies for HIIT or not, but running the stairs is a very good and safe way to get in cardiovascular shape. Run up as fast as you can and walk down when resting. Try to build up to 10 -12 times after a while, and if you also can finish with 20 - 30 minutes with low intensity jogging, then you have a very efficient fat burning protocoll similar to Lyle McDonalds; "the stubborn fat protocoll"...

MerryMac is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks!