Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOM and wheat cravings page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

TOM and wheat cravings

In the past I was never able to discriminate between junk food cravings around my TOM. However, the last two months I distinctly realised that it's wheat I'm craving.

Does anyone know why the body might crave wheat specifically during the monthly cycle?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wheat as in you want a bowl of plain shredded wheat? Or wheat as in you want a sandwich, pasta, or a pastry? If it's the first, then I don't even have a guess. If it's the second, then it could be that mean little creature that lives in all our brains wants those comfort foods you used to eat during this portion of your cycle.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    TOM, actually with me it's ovulation makes me crave sugar, sometimes chocolate and every time just more food in general. I've never had craving for bread, crackers or pizza for example.
    I second the comfort food thing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    It's probably a stupid question, but why are these foods so comforting? Other than the palatability - is there a physiological factor that makes us crave them specifically at this TOM? Blood sugar spike? Some kind of hormonal secretion that they induce? Hmm.

I just had a big bowl of pasta with olive oil and grated Parmesan (I'm allowed to cheat today ).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This article makes some sense of it, but I didn't check out her credentials: Decode Your Cravings | Holistic Nutrition Bytes--San Francisco Nutrition Consultation
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate is my TOM crave. And sometimes I get this insatiable urge for a huge hunk of a delicious parmesan. Two completely different foods, I know, and one is so cliche. But I never used to get the parm craving until I began eating in a Primal manner. Oh, and I will also crave steak. I tend to have heavy and awful TOM so I know my body is just screaming out for more iron and nutrients to compensate (totally don't mind that craving!).
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Wheat has iron and magnesium that you might be craving.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I've never craved wheat. It's sugar that gets me around TOTM. Delicious grain crackers...no.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    I hear ya on the wheat at that TOM! Although, it's usually wheat paired with chocolate for me; brownies, chocolate filled croissant, cookies.

I think it's partly because these are foods we craved before going primal and we had a monthly reinforcement that eating them made us feel better.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In an article on grains by Rob Wolff he writes:

But I Like Bread and Pasta!
    Yes, I like that stuff too, but they make me sick. I suspect it makes you sick, as well. Not only do grains make you sick by raising insulin levels, messing up your fatty acid ratios (n-3/n-6), and irritating your gut, but they are also addictive. Grains, particularly the gluten-containing grains, contain molecules that fit into the opiate receptors in our brain. You know, the same receptors that work with heroin, morphine, and Vicodin? Most people can take or leave stuff like corn tortillas and rice. Suggest that people should perhaps forgo bread and pasta for their health and they will bury a butter knife in your forehead before you can say “whole wheat!” Sorry folks, I don’t make these rules, I just have the lovely task of educating you about them.

According to my daughter, a psychological social worker who has worked with addiction, it takes at least three weeks of cold turkey to start to break an addiction.
    Last edited by Rich Capalbo; 03-05-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast