Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOM and wheat cravings page 2

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't crave wheat specifically, but I do crave starchy carbs during that time and allow myself more than I usually would then. I also crave liver, which is likely due to the iron content.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This article makes some sense of it, but I didn't check out her credentials: Decode Your Cravings | Holistic Nutrition Bytes--San Francisco Nutrition Consultation
    Interesting that you mentioned her credentials - did you also get a vibe of quarkery from the site?! The info seems a bit simplistic / outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Wheat has iron and magnesium that you might be craving.
    That resonates! I was also craving red meat but was too lazy to cook it. It was probably the iron.

Ironically I havent eaten pasta in about two years, so it was a pretty unusual craving for me.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat loads of wheat products before I discovered I was gluten-intolerant. But I never noticed anything cyclical about craving them.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Took we a while to realize this wasn't about Tom and his wheat addiction
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Took we a while to realize this wasn't about Tom and his wheat addiction
    Yes, me too. Only took me 5 days to remember what TOM meant -- and I've been married since 1968. D'oh!

La Carnera is offline Member
    A little off-topic, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This article makes some sense of it, but I didn't check out her credentials: Decode Your Cravings | Holistic Nutrition Bytes--San Francisco Nutrition Consultation
    Thank you! It makes more than 'some sense', actually.
    Coincidently enough, I've been thinking in a correlation between hormonal cycle and cravings for sweet food in the past few months. Now I think it is clear: a couple of days before my period arrival I tend to have one or more binge episodes, with perhaps a tendency towards... chocolate with nuts.

And then, of course, these episodes were seen as "failure", faded the will and hope to get to the so-desired healthy balance, and, in addiction to the addictive power itself of some of the eaten foods... well, I think it's understandable why for some of us it is so hard to not "fall off the wagon" for not much longer than a couple of months, or so.
    Good to realise! Way to go, there's a nice and long journey ahead...
    Last edited by La Carnera; 03-10-2013 at 07:19 AM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I'm in that TOM right now...and made sme gluten free gingerbread today that did the trick. I hate resorting back to grains at this time, even gluten free, but potatoes weren't cutting it either! I did make a nice chuck roast tonight as well to try and get in more iron and used blackstrap molasses for my gingerbread
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12