Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meggo's Journey page

meggo2002 is offline Senior Member

Meggo's Journey

Shop Now
    Obligatory Background Info:
    I'm a 28 year old teacher and have been living overseas for the last two years. I currently live in Kuwait and will be moving to Colombia this summer. Growing up, I was a dancer- ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, etc. I was always heavier than the other girls, but was strong. When I got to college, I stopped dancing and the weight poured on. My last few years in college, I did Jazzercise and Weight Watchers and lost some weight... then I went to work on cruise ships for three years. The massive amounts of booze and poor eating/sleeping added the weight back on (think daily buffets for all meals, hours in the bar at night, and 4-5 hours of sleep a night). While attending Grad School, I joined 24 hour fitness and was working out like a maniac, as well as being back on Weight Watchers. I lost 25 lbs and felt great, but hit a plateau.

After moving to Kuwait, I focused on teaching and didn't make time for the gym or much healthy eating the first year. In September of 2012, I got back on Weight Watchers and managed to lose about 20 pounds before hitting another plateau. I was working out at the local gym and eating "healthy," but the weight and inches stopped coming off. My dad began the Primal lifestyle in January 2013 and has lost 30+ pounds. He has been overweight ever since I can remember and this is the first time he has stuck with a healthy lifestyle. I decided to give it a try, and in three weeks, I've lost 6 lbs. I'm not as focused on the weight loss (although it's a plus!) because I can see the changes in my body already.

When I started, I cut out all grains/wheat, sugars and dairy. My skin cleared up, I had more energy than ever, and I really was satisfied after a meal. Last week, I was in Prague for vacation and had many beers (hello, it's the home of Pilsner!) and meat with dumplings. My skin broke out like crazy and I just felt sluggish. Now, three days after being back on Primal fully, I feel like myself again. This is a journey and I am going to use this journal to keep myself accountable and hopefully to form a support network on here!

Things I've noticed since becoming Primal:
    *I never like unsalted nuts. I thought they were boring and gross. Now, I can really TASTE the food I eat, and I can't imagine eating salted almonds ever again.
    *I don't miss bread (although, when it's covered with melted cheese........ However, the thought of how dairy and wheat mess with my digestive system keep me from going back.
    *I don't get daily stomachaches... I credit this to giving up dairy and wheat.
    *I am losing weight and inches without doing 2 hours of cardio/weights a day--- rather, I do Zumba and kickboxing classes 2-3 times a week, as well as a circuit training class that uses mainly body weight to do exercises.
    *I can really TASTE the food I eat. This is huge. I enjoy what I eat and am really satisfied after meals. I used to eat a meal (pasta with chicken, or something similar) and would be starving an hour or two later. Now, I eat a big breakfast and big lunch, and have a snack for dinner.
    *I wake up rested in the morning, before my alarm goes off (which is usually at 3:50 am!) Wow.

I am going to use this to post about my daily menus and workouts, as well as keep track of my weight (I try to weigh in once a week, otherwise, I will obsess over the scale every day).....

March 4th, 2013:
    B: 2 scrambled eggs with 3 oz salmon and 1 whole avocado
    S: 1 cup mixed strawberries/raspberries and a handful of almonds/walnuts
    L: Salad of cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and tomatoes with balsamic vinegar
    S: Grapefruit
    D: Chicken and meat kebabs (2)

Current Weight: 188
    Size: 14 (loose, though!)
    Last edited by meggo2002; 03-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Meggo! Sounds like you are off to a great start!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thanks! I am sitting here during my prep time while my kids are away. I used to struggle to stay awake... Now, I'm munching on some carrots, tomatoes and zucchini while I find more resources on here!

Day Two of Journaling

Well, today a student brought in three fish for our classroom.... I guess he thought we needed some class pets--- I teach Kindergarten and, boy, were they beyond excited about this! Especially because we are going on a field trip to the aquarium soon. We decided on their names by brainstorming and taking votes:
    Glow (silver and orange with brown spots)
    Goldie (yep, the original!)
    Sharkbait (my personal favorite)
    I just hope they survive. My personal track record with keeping fish alive is not in their favor.

So, I was spending my precious prep time looking on MDA and realized something.... I used to spend my breaks trying to stay awake.... Today, I am sitting here eating carrots, tomatoes and some zucchini and feel great!
    My menu for today:
    B: 3 hardboiled eggs, 1 cup of strawberries
    S: Handful of almonds, 2 cups of carrots/tomatoes, 1/2 cup of sauteed zucchini
    L: 1 1/2 meat kebabs, 1/2 cup baba ganouj (eggplant, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers)
    D: 3 oz chicken
    Update: Ate 6 hershey kisses during a weak moment.
    My workout:
    15 minutes of walking on treadmill to warm up
    60 minutes of Body Combat (kickboxing) with my new hand wraps that make me feel powerful!
    Last edited by meggo2002; 03-05-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey Meggo, great start. Love the sound of your food, and so pleased that you are feeling so healthy with it. You are really grokking.

So, I've never been a fan of sweets. I always liked having a cheese plate for dessert instead of chocolate. The last few days, I have been having intense sugar cravings! I'm not sure what's going on! I am trying to cut out the nuts I've been snacking on, but it's such an easy snack at school--- I can keep them on my desk and grab a few every now and then (I only put about 15 in a bag).
    Anyway... kickboxing last night (Body Combat) was amazing and I felt awesome with my new wraps! Looking forward to it again on Saturday.

Today's Menu:
    B: 3 hardboiled eggs
    S: Handful of almonds/walnuts (about 15)
    L: Salad of cucumbers, carrots, bell pepper and mushrooms topped with a 3 oz. chicken breast and balsamic vinegar (my favorite!)
    S: Grapefruit
    D: Haven't thought about it yet- either shrimp and cauliflower stir fry, or some sauteed zucchini and kebabs.

Well, change of plans. Shortly after my last post, I felt nauseaous, light headed and feverish. I ended up taking a sick day and going home from school early--- I came back and slept for 5.5 hours.... After waking up, I thought, "Well, I'll just step on the scale and see how I've been doing this week." It was up FOUR pounds. Now, it's that time of the month and I am hoping it's water retention. Sometimes I want to throw my scale out the window, because even as the scale says I gained 4 pounds, people are complimenting me on how loose my clothes are and how "dangerous" I look at kickboxing!

My breakfast was all I ate today and some tea after sleeping all day. Now, I am crawling back in bed, as we still have one more day of school before the weekend. Hopefully feeling better tomorrow! I have to say it was the first big carb craving for me, but I think it was more of a comfort thing. I just wanted to make Ramen Noodles, but I managed with just some hot tea with honey and lemon.

Feeling a bit better today, but just exhausted! I'm sure one of my darling kinder kiddos passed some major germs on to me. Today, I was only drinking tea, but then my stomach told me I was hungry. I didn't want to try anythig big, so I had a cup of chicken noodle soup. (Yes, noodles, but not many!) It seemed fine, but now I just want to crawl in bed and sleep!

On a brighter note: I registered today for the Primal Blueprint Transformation Seminar and True Nature Training in Portland, Or this summer. Anyone else going? I'm super stoked on it!

Well, quick update:
    Weighed in and lost .6 lbs.
    Current Weight: 187.4
    Getting excited for when I'm home this summer. I will be going shopping for some new clothes, as mine are getting big on me! I don't remember the last time I was excited to shop- clothes are fitting me nicely now!

Daily Menu:
    B: 2 scrambled eggs with mushrooms and bell peppers, 1 minced meat kebab
    S: 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
    L/S: handful of almonds and 1 gala apple
    D: Shrimp curry in coconut milk, stirfried veggies (delicious!)
    Dessert: 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Expensive here in Kuwait, but so worth it!
    Last edited by meggo2002; 03-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Had a nice relaxing day yesterday. Slept in, took a nap, did laundry, went grocery shopping, spent a few hours in the spa. Fabulous day. I had a big 'moment' last night. I ordered shrimp curry in coconut milk and stirfried veggies for dinner. I used to order from this restaurant a LOT last year, but I would also order naan (Indian bread) and rice. Every time I would have the same meal I ordered last night, but with the bread and I would have a stomach ache about 15 minutes later. Last night, I skipped the bread and had no digestive issues at all. I think that's saying something along the lines of, "STAY AWAY FROM GULTEN AND WHEAT!"

Today, I woke up and had a protein shake. Man, it was disgusting. I don't drink milk, so I mixed it with water (no blender to mix with fruit). I had to gulp it down. However, it was perfect because I then headed to the gym to do an hour of kickboxing. After class, I spent about 30 minutes with the instructor doing a bit of sparring and it was awesome. When I move to Colombia this summer, I think I will join the local MMA gym. It's an awesome work out and so much fun! After working out, I enjoyed some time in the pool and the sun and it felt so good to have some Vitamin D in me! I ran into a friend and we ordered some salad for a snack/lunch. It came with a basket of bread and I wasn't even tempted because I realized it would not make me feel good!

Came home after tutoring and cooked up some baked eggplant, steamed string beans, 4 steaks (had one for dinner!) and hard boiled eggs. I am set! Looking forward to this week of circuit training and kickboxing. Did a bit on the treadmill before class and am wondering what speed would constitute a "sprint." Any advice????

Daily Menu:
    B: protein shake (vanilla- soy, dairy and gluten free)
    S: apple and carrots
    L: Big salad!
    D: 5 oz. rib eye steak
    Dessert: 2 cups of strawberries

Doesn't look like much now, but I am completely satisfied! I am going to try to stay away from the fruits, especially the apples this week, but I figure a dessert of berries is better than a dessert of cheese or sweets. Ready to rock it this week!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast