Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb sources? page

Shelly6 is offline Member

Carb sources?

Shop Now
    Hello all:

I've posted here before, I'm about 5'6 and 128 lb (F). I've been doing well with this lifestyle for the most part, but I'm still struggling with hunger and hunger signals. I'm concerned this is more of an emotional block vs. actual hunger. Yesterday I boiled/baked a whole sweet potato and had that with some grass fed beef and sauteed peppers/onions and it seemed to help. What other things could be a good source of (healthy) carbs that would help hunger? I'm pretty happy with my weight but there are a few areas I'd like to see shrink a bit. I think I'm getting plenty of fat. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of vegetables, so occasionally I'll toss greens (kale, etc) into a blender with a few berries and a chunk of pineapple and drink them instead, which isn't so bad. (It's fun to walk into work holding a brown/green colored smoothie and down it while everyone screams "EWWW" but in the same breath compliments my skin/hair...) :P

Also, I was really struggling with sugar cravings a few months ago and those seem to have toned way down. I was a sugar addict through my teen years and purged it all with diet pills. Now, an apple or a handful of berries is sweet, GOOD sweet.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    All fruit, white potatoes, milk, cassava, white rice, coconut water, honey, dried fruit without additives -- whatever you prefer. Chocolate and ice cream with quality ingredients, if they're your thing. You can make both at home and control the quality.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

JessetheBest is offline Junior Member
    Bananas are a great carb source.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    All fruit, white potatoes, milk, cassava, white rice, coconut water, honey, dried fruit without additives -- whatever you prefer. Chocolate and ice cream with quality ingredients, if they're your thing. You can make both at home and control the quality.
    Awesome I do like fruit more than veg, will this inhibit body composition?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly6 View Post
    Awesome I do like fruit more than veg, will this inhibit body composition?
    I can't say for sure, but if it fits in your calorie/macro goals and suits your activity level and palate, it doesn't matter much what the sources are, within reason.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Veg is a good source of healthy carbs but are you sure it is the low carbs that are causing the problem? What is your fat intake?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Veg is a good source of healthy carbs but are you sure it is the low carbs that are causing the problem? What is your fat intake?
    I don't calculate macros, but I use butter, cream, raw milk, and eat fattier cuts of grass fed meat (including bacon and sausage). Also lots of eggs. I'm not 100% sure carbs are the issue, but I know if I up my carbs I feel a little more able to deal with losing the grains

No reason to keep carbs low unless that makes you feel better. If not, eat as many as you feel works for you.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    No reason to keep carbs low unless that makes you feel better.
    Or if you are insulin resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Or if you are insulin resistant.
    I am IR, I eat plenty of carbs and lose weight still (nearly 100 lbs!). There's not one solution for everyone, and just being IR isn't a RX for low carb dieting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast