Memo to Marlene Zuk: “Paleo Nostalgia” is a Big Fat Strawman
Memo to Marlene Zuk: "Paleo Nostalgia" is a Big Fat Strawman | Free The Animal
Here's the problem I have with her....she is NOT a biochemist nor is she a medical professor doing actual research in how different foods affect and interact within the human body.
verb (used with object)
4. to set forth beforehand, as by way of introduction or explanation.
5. to assume, either explicitly or implicitly, (a proposition) as a premise for a conclusion.
Human genetics are pretty damn similar to our hunter/gatherer ancestors.
1. a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
2. a proposition assumed as a premise in an argument.
3. the antecedent of a conditional proposition.
4. a mere assumption or guess.
If our genetics are similar enough to our hunter/gatherer ancestors does is stand to reason our dietary and activity levels should mimic theirs to attain optimum health.
1.a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
2.a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.
So now somebody has to test the nutritional theory. Even epidemiological doesn't establish cause and effect. That's the lab work from the medical profession and biochemists doing the research...and even then that establishing cause and effect is tough.
I don't think she's done that. Zuk is a good example of how someone with a PhD can still be a moron blinded by her ideology.
Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?