Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat loss advice page

Prodigy is offline Junior Member

Question Fat loss advice

Shop Now
    Hey there,

I have been Primal for a few months now and a few weeks ago I finally decided to start working on shedding some fat. In the few weeks I have not lost any weight or body fat so I am a bit confused and looking for any advice/criticism.

I am a 36 year old male who stands at 5'10 and weighs 186 lbs @ 29% body fat.

For exercise I am doing HIIT (on my elliptical) 2 times a week and weights (Stronglifts 5x5) 3 times a week.

Pre/post workout nutrition is 1 cup of coconut water pre/post for HIIT plus whey protein shake post, and whey protein shake + handful of M&Ms post workout for weights (I replaced banana with M&Ms). A eat a meal around 2 hours after both workouts.

My meals have been pretty much the same every day. I am not a morning person so I typically grab 20 grams of 85% dark chocolate, just to get the morning taste out of my mouth.

Lunch - chicken breast with around 10 cups of lettuce + peppers, coated with 1/4 cup olive oil.

Dinner - chicken breast or steak with sweet potato and green beans

Snacks - protein shake, 1/3 cup of almonds

Vitamins - multi-vitamin, vitamin D, glutamine (in shake after exercise).

So on an average day I am having aprox 1900 cals from 100g fat, 50-60g carb, 170g protein.

Any advice/criticism/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I always hate asking for help because I think I should be able to figure things out on my own but I don't want to waste more time not losing any weight.

Cheers.

I should add a few things.

My current goal is to reach 20% body fat. I plan to keep staying active after that but that is my goal right now.

Beside the coconut water pre/post HIIT, the only thing I drink is water and lots of it!

PrimalLMT is offline Junior Member
    First and foremost, cut out the sugar!!! Those rushes of insulin are probably the number 1 thing that is stalling your fat loss!!! As soon as insulin joins the party, fat burning completely stops!! So in theory, all that effort you just made with the HIIT, is right out the window the minute you eat those m n ms!!! I would recommend reducing or cutting out all together all starchy veggies and candy/sugar sources. Until you get to where you want to be, then you can add them back in if you choose to!! Good luck!!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Why are you drinking the coconut water before an HIIT workout? All you're accomplishing is just burning off said coconut water. If you've eaten a meal 2 hours before a workout, you don't need a "pre-workout" drink.

Drop the M&Ms.

Eat some red meat instead of all that chicken.

So cut out all sugars pre/post workout? I was always under the belief we needed sugars after weight training. In the first week I was having a banana after my weights/HIIT.

So I should just stick to having just a protein shake post workout, followed by a meal 2 hours later?

Are you saying I should cut out sweet potatoes? Man, I have grown to actually enjoy them What do you recommend I replace the sweet potatoes with, so I ensure I get enough carbs in me? Would a few apples do the trick?
    Last edited by Prodigy; 03-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.

I started drinking the coconut water last week because I was getting quite dizzy after my HIIT and thought that may help. It did help but I will tolerate the dizziness instead if it means better weight loss.

I will eliminate all coconut water and M&Ms.

I have no problem adding more read meat instead of chicken

Thanks!

I do have post-workout smoothies (frozen berries, scoop of whey, 1/4 cup coconut milk) because I do find it helps with recovery (and tastes yummy). So a reasonable amount of carbs after a workout is perfectly fine, but a bunch of sugars immediately prior to a workout is not. As for your HIIT-induced dizziness, make sure you're getting enough sodium elsewhere in your diet (and don't force yourself to drink water - you said you drink "a lot of it" which is not necessarily a good thing), and ditching the unnecessary sugars will help too. Or if you're feeling dizzy post-HIIT, maybe you're not breathing correctly?

You're a man so you may benefit from VLC. But I don't think you have to cut out the sweet potatoes just yet, especially given the fact that have quite a bit of fat to lose, you enjoy them, and are still relatively new to PB, and are already hovering at 50-60g carbs anyway. Once you start getting close to your goal, then going VLC (under 50) might be opportune.

Can I also make a suggestion that you eat fattier meat instead of adding 1/4 cup olive oil to your vegetables? I see you're getting 100g of fat a day but it all seems to be from unsaturated fats. Where is the animal fat? Also, maybe opt for a more nutritionally dense option than 10 cups of lettuce?
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-04-2013 at 10:11 AM.

What amount of frozen berries do you put in your post-workout smoothie? Would a cup be good? And why use coconut milk instead of water? Taste? This sounds like a good option for me. I need to get that Vitamix going again.

I really love the big ass salad, but I was worried about using too much olive oil. What would you suggest to use in place of chicken in my salad? Or should I get rid of the salad for now and scramble up 6 eggs (with an apple) and add more veggies to my dinner?

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

I put 2 cups frozen berries. Once they thaw you're left with like a cup-ish in terms of volume anyway. And I put in coconut milk to add some fat and creaminess. Like I said, it's only 1/4 cup - the rest is water to make the smoothie drinkable.

You can keep the chicken for the protein but try switching out some of the olive oil and adding boiled eggs, bacon, some cheese, whatever. I don't find olive oil satiating at all. I can eat a salad drowned in olive oil and it won't fill me up at all despite it being a caloric bomb.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
    Hey there,

I have been Primal for a few months now and a few weeks ago I finally decided to start working on shedding some fat. In the few weeks I have not lost any weight or body fat so I am a bit confused and looking for any advice/criticism.

I am a 36 year old male who stands at 5'10 and weighs 186 lbs @ 29% body fat.

For exercise I am doing HIIT (on my elliptical) 2 times a week and weights (Stronglifts 5x5) 3 times a week.

Pre/post workout nutrition is 1 cup of coconut water pre/post for HIIT plus whey protein shake post, and whey protein shake + handful of M&Ms post workout for weights (I replaced banana with M&Ms). A eat a meal around 2 hours after both workouts.

My meals have been pretty much the same every day. I am not a morning person so I typically grab 20 grams of 85% dark chocolate, just to get the morning taste out of my mouth.

Lunch - chicken breast with around 10 cups of lettuce + peppers, coated with 1/4 cup olive oil.

Dinner - chicken breast or steak with sweet potato and green beans

Snacks - protein shake, 1/3 cup of almonds

Vitamins - multi-vitamin, vitamin D, glutamine (in shake after exercise).

So on an average day I am having aprox 1900 cals from 100g fat, 50-60g carb, 170g protein.

Any advice/criticism/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I always hate asking for help because I think I should be able to figure things out on my own but I don't want to waste more time not losing any weight.

Cheers.
    You're doing 3 Stronglifts 5x5 sessions per week and 2 HIIT sessions on 1900 kCal/day? That's insanity. What are your lifts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast