Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low/no sodium bacon? page

abseven7 is offline Junior Member

Low/no sodium bacon?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I don't like the amount of sodium I am ingesting from eating so much bacon. (Yum.) Looking for an alternative. I know Applegate Farms makes a low-sodium bacon but I can't find it in my area (they only carry AF's standard bacon). There are standard bacon company offerings that are low-sodium but I am dubious as to the quality of the meat.

I was thinking of trying to find a local farm that could sell me a bacon slab and then having a farm market smoke it for me.

Or is there an easier option I am missing?

Thanks!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Just buy pork belly and eat it fresh. Or marinate it in whatever. Why are you worried about sodium? I worry most about the PUFA's in bacon and not at all about the sodium.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just buy pork belly and eat it fresh. Or marinate it in whatever. Why are you worried about sodium? I worry most about the PUFA's in bacon and not at all about the sodium.
    I'm new to primal and between three of my new treats--bacon, pickles and olives--there is a LOT of sodium. If I can moderate it a little, I'd be happy. They are more or less the only processed foods that I am eating and I dislike added salt in my diet. (Happy to add my own!)

Quote Originally Posted by abseven7 View Post
    I'm new to primal and between three of my new treats--bacon, pickles and olives--there is a LOT of sodium. If I can moderate it a little, I'd be happy. They are more or less the only processed foods that I am eating and I dislike added salt in my diet. (Happy to add my own!)
    You still didn't answer why you're worried about the sodium.

Because I start feeling shitty when I ingest a lot of sodium. It makes me super thirsty and I feel bloated.

Yesterday the only processed foods I ate were bacon, one very small slice of prosciutto, two pickles and a tiny bit of mustard in my homemade dressing. Between that and the natural levels of sodium in my fresh veggies, meats, eggs and nuts, my sodium intake was 3400mg. That is in the American, boxed-food, SAD diet region!

Mark advocates a balanced approach to sodium and I agree.
    Dear Mark: Salt and Blood Pressure | Mark's Daily Apple

SO, I'd prefer a lower-sodium approach to bacon.

The good news is I am working on some local sources of pastured pork and I can hopefully get it smoked to order!

Mark advocates a balanced approach to sodium and I agree.
    Dear Mark: Salt and Blood Pressure | Mark's Daily Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by the link you provided
    Rather than obsess over the amount of salt in your diet, focus on eating enough potassium-rich foods, avoiding excessive fructose, and managing your stress. These will do more for your heart health, blood pressure, and overall enjoyment of life than measuring out 1/8 teaspoons of salt. You think calorie counting is bad? Try sodium ion counting!

Avocados, sweet potatoes, chard, and most fruits are excellent sources of potassium. Work those things into your diet, if they fit your template.

So’s meat, actually, particularly red meat. Just be sure to eat your meat closer to rare than not, as raw meat contains more potassium than cooked meat. And let your steak rest before slicing into it after cooking; the potassium’s (and flavor’s) all in the juice!

Read more: Dear Mark: Salt and Blood Pressure | Mark's Daily Apple

The good news is I am working on some local sources of pastured pork and I can hopefully get it smoked to order!
    That's great news, actually. Pork that isn't local/pastured scares me worse than the other meats. Are you sure they'll be able to cure it with less salt?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member

In the meantime, maybe eat less bacon and pickles?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Rebecca M. is offline Junior Member
    Rinsing and drying the bacon, before cooking it, can remove some of the surface salt.

kavvmxuh is offline Junior Member
    It makes me super thirsty and I feel bloated.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The issue with uncured or low-sodium bacon is that it won't keep as well as traditionally cured bacon, curing being a form of preservation, after all. So treat it like fresh meat, not like cured meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast