Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low/no sodium bacon? page 2

abseven7 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Pork that isn't local/pastured scares me worse than the other meats. Are you sure they'll be able to cure it with less salt?
    Hey Rich, yeah absolutely whenever possible I buy local & pastured meats. Pork is definitely harder to find than poultry, beef, veal, bison etc. so I'm happy to (maybe) have found a good source. (Pastured is one thing but local AND pastured? Not easy!)

Not sure if the smoking will work, but if so I'm hoping to have it zero salt! (Not sure how the taste will be.)

great suggestion, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca M. View Post
    Rinsing and drying the bacon, before cooking it, can remove some of the surface salt.

good point, thanks!

Jillf2466 is offline Junior Member
    I can give you one huge reason why to eat low sodium, it's called kidney disease, which leads to ESRD, which stands for End Stage Renal Disease which then leads to kidney dialysis and everything that you take for granted in life such as eating whatever you like going to places whenever you want....ALL STOPS... High sodium and potassium leads to high blood pressure as well I can't eat peanut butter, chocolate , cheese, tomatoes, tomato sauce, caramel, just to name a few (all of the yummy foods) plus a dialysis patient has their blood cleaned between 3-4 hours a day 3 times a week for the rest of your life or until you get a kidney transplant it is very serious I know because I live this life and I want to spread the word and help as many people as I can please try to eat low salt your life will be so much better

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillf2466 View Post
    I can give you one huge reason why to eat low sodium, it's called kidney disease, which leads to ESRD, which stands for End Stage Renal Disease which then leads to kidney dialysis and everything that you take for granted in life such as eating whatever you like going to places whenever you want....ALL STOPS... High sodium and potassium leads to high blood pressure as well I can't eat peanut butter, chocolate , cheese, tomatoes, tomato sauce, caramel, just to name a few (all of the yummy foods) plus a dialysis patient has their blood cleaned between 3-4 hours a day 3 times a week for the rest of your life or until you get a kidney transplant it is very serious I know because I live this life and I want to spread the word and help as many people as I can please try to eat low salt your life will be so much better
    BUT people eliminating junk food are on a low salt diet. They aren't eating hidden salts so a little salt here and there isn't going to hurt a healthy person on a healthy diet.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

James77 is offline Junior Member
    I also love bacon, but seem to be salt sensitive.....I feel bloated as all hell when I too much salt. But I love salty foods

A big part of what makes bacon bacon is the salt. Its like wanting low salt ham....salt free ham is pork

They do sell lower sodium versions if you can find them, Applegate makes some. But it is still high with 2 slices at 8% of RDA.

Soaking the bacon in cold water in the fridge for an hour or two...preferably changing the water a couple times...will pull salt out of the bacon as well.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Whatever you do abseven7, don't ever eat turkey bacon.

If you do, we have to put you in shackles in the town square for a week on display for others to see.

Maine Man is offline Junior Member
    You don't have bacon without salt so simply purchase pork belly and bake until crisp then slice thin.

Grow beard, carry water.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    BUT people eliminating junk food are on a low salt diet. They aren't eating hidden salts so a little salt here and there isn't going to hurt a healthy person on a healthy diet.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    I saw an article a while back about American's sodium intake which had a sensationalist title saying that people need to stop eating bacon or they'll die. Hidden in the middle of the article was a ranking of foods people get most of their sodium from. Number two on the list was "processed meats including bacon". Number one by a HUGE margin was bread. Their conclusion was not to eat bacon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12