Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal in the Workplace page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Yeah, they call me underweight (I'm about your size, TornadoGirl) too! My favorite today (while eating my skin-on chicken thighs with greens) was the comment, 'you can just eat WHATEVER you want and NOT GET FAT, oh WAIT till you're my age....' etc. Uh, you did just notice me not eating the cupcakes being passed around, right? I'm not eating whatever I want! I'm eating real food!
    Haha, so often the response I can give is "I AM your age". I just totally don't look it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, they call me underweight (I'm about your size, TornadoGirl) too! My favorite today (while eating my skin-on chicken thighs with greens) was the comment, 'you can just eat WHATEVER you want and NOT GET FAT, oh WAIT till you're my age....' etc. Uh, you did just notice me not eating the cupcakes being passed around, right? I'm not eating whatever I want! I'm eating real food!
    "That's not true. I don't eat junk."
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Gotta love those office food wars! Wish people could just be reasonable and do things our way! Oh well, success is the best revenge!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Candy bowls, office pot-lucks, donuts at meetings, friday fast-food breakfasts, ordering pizza in on stormy days, b-day celebrations....I deal with it on a daily basis.

I sit in a cubicle-type office department with 7 others relatively close (or within smelling distance of food, and chip-eating crunch hearing). I've actually become so disgusted with what others eat, it has completely taken away my cravings for any of it (I'm sure ridding myself of junk probably helped too). I constantly hear the others around me eating bags of chips and gulping down soda, and it starts at 8am and goes on all day! They leave for lunch and come back with fast-food to eat at their desk. Afternoons its time to hit the candy bowl. To top it off they complain about their weight constantly, and not to mention how sick they always are with colds, flu, on medications for everything under the sun, etc. And thank god for having an elevator in a 3-story building, because walking up the stairs would surely kill them! I needed to get that out

Now that I'm done with my rant...this is what I do at work:

-bring my own food: I'm lucky enough that we can eat at our desks and have a kitchen to keep food in a fridge and be able to warm it up. A protein based breakfast also helps, as does IF.

-pot-lucks: I bring something I can eat, skip everything else that isn't meat or veggie.

-catered lunch such as pizza or sandwiches: pick off what I can/will eat, or skipping a meal won't kill me, and actually good for me once in a while. When asked why I'm not eating - I'm still full from breakfast, or have a dinner-thing right after work

-b-day cake: I go to the gathering and skip the cake. I'd rather wear a bikini then enjoy cake. The answer to co-worker that pesters: "one piece won't hurt you" Me: "I'll have it on my birthday then". My feeling is they feel guilty for eating it when they know they shouldn't, so if everyone does it - its ok.

-breakfast run: co-worker: "Stacy, what would you like". Me: "nothing, I'm good - i already ate. Thanks". After being asked a few times it turns into: "Stacy, you don't want anything, right". Me: "right, but thanks for asking".

For me it's motivating to stick to it more at work because I have will-power and control and they don't. After time, people will get used to your WOE. I actually had someone bring me a cucumber when she brought in donuts for everyone else! She said "I didn't want to leave you out, and knew you wouldn't eat donuts. I know you eat cucumbers for breakfast sometimes"
    Last edited by Stacy15; 03-07-2013 at 09:09 AM.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I'm typing this as I'm getting ready for work. I have not had too many struggles and setbacks in eating primaly at home, but work is another story.

I sit with the 'snack basket' right behind me. It is full of chocolate, sugar candy, and 'healthy' foods like Special K crackers. Every half hour or so, someone will come in, say, 'OoooOooh! I SHOULDN'T!' and proceed to mmm mmmm mmmm right in my ear.
    I know eventually the craving for sugar will go away, but as of right now, it's very difficult.

The bi-weekly meetings are catered by a very good pizza place here in NYC, all vegetarian pizza and salad. There is no way to get away and get my own food during this time, and I am thinking of going to my boss and appealing to his health-nut nature. (He is a vegan who went raw for a while.) Before pizza we are distracted and starving, afterwards, sleepy and unfocused.
    Lunch meetings are dumb.

And the birthday parties. And farewell parties. And baby showers. These are all accompanied by Magnolia or Crumbs. Everyone sitting around, goading others into taking more. I swear weight loss and fitness goals could be so easily reached if everyone around you just shut up and didn't try to justify their own behavior.

So, sorry this turned into more of a rant. How do you do primal in the workplace?
    Bring your own lunch a few times, they might get the hint and order something you can have??? When we have catered meals, I bring my own food then hope there is a salad I can add to it.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post

For me it's motivating to stick to it more at work because I have will-power and control and they don't. After time, people will get used to your WOE. I actually had someone bring me a cucumber when she brought in donuts for everyone else! She said "I didn't want to leave you out, and knew you wouldn't eat donuts. I know you eat cucumbers for breakfast sometimes"
    Beyond awesome!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I'm not eating whatever I want! I'm eating real food!
    but... that IS "whatever I want..." I legitimately don't WANT whatever junk they're trying to force on me.

The WORST was when I worked in a theater with lots of older women (and it's such a stereotype, but they were the Italian "eat, eat, you're too skinny" types... lots of urban legend CW stuff going on there, like "if you lift heavy things you won't be able to have children" - when referring to the cases of water and ice I had to schlep for my concessions/bar job)...

It seemed like every other day there was some celebration, and they would be genuinely offended (to the point of talking smack behind your back) if you did not take some of the (usually store-bought) cake. It got to the point where I'd refuse the cake several times, they'd force a slice on me anyway, and I'd throw away said slice.

I've never been a big fan of cake... even less so when I went low carb in 2003, even LESS so when it became a regular thing at that job.

And people that are younger than I am often say things like "wait'll you get to be my age..." to which I say "um, how old do you think I am? 'cause I've got nearly 10 years on ya."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    but... that IS "whatever I want..." I legitimately don't WANT whatever junk they're trying to force on me.
    There is some really tasty junk food out there, like bakery cookies, not that I'm tempted. But it's amazing how people will eat really nasty stuff, like store bought cookies that are already stale when you open the package. It's like, because they are supposed to want to eat them, not because they really want to.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have to say that at my last job, while the usual cakes, etc. were always available (bagels in the a.m.), I just didn't partake. One day the office manager asked me why and I told her that I had been morbidly obese and had to really be careful what I ate. I even showed her my drivers license just to show her I wasn't lying because by that time I was twig like. After that there was fruit next to the bagels every morning, and when my birthday rolled around, she ordered a big fruit arrangement instead of the usual cake. I always appreciated that kindness.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's like, because they are supposed to want to eat them, not because they really want to.
    This. is why I've tried cinnamon buns so many times, despite NEVER liking them. Ever.
    I don't know a single person (okay, maybe I know several on this board, but shhhh) that doesn't go into drooling zombie mode when people start talking about cinnamon buns.

I will absolutely have some of a sweet treat that is AMAZING... it's part of my 20%... so I really do eat "whatever I want," I suppose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast