Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal in the Workplace page 2

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The thing that gets me the most is how people try to guilt you into eating garbage. Last night my manager was bringing McDonald's for everyone (sigh...) and I politely responded "No thank you, I've already eaten" when another manager goes "oh she's just being shy! Bring a cheeseburger and Fries!" No.......not shy....trying not to DIE.

Another thing, at my job we are rewarded by getting "soda cards" where we can turn them in for free soda and candy. I just collect them or give them to other people. I appreciate the good intentions but still...

Megatron is offline Member
    These are all GREAT stories and inspiration, seriously, I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    The workplace can definitely be a minefield, especially if you are in one of those modern 'we're all friends here, let's celebrate!' type workspaces, as I am and it sounds like you are. xD

Don't you love it! Creative workplace plus a 90's kind of guy boss mean there is cake ALL THE TIME. Sigh.

I will start drinking more water- I've noticed I'm drinking it all the time, instead of going out for a smoke, I drink a few cups of water. Not the same, but we can pretend.

I cannot wait to get to the point where I no longer crave sugar, and I love all the suggestions for creatively bowing out of workplace peer pressure. The meetings thing I still have not figured out, so I might just tell my boss I need to eat beforehand because of 'blood sugar.' Or say something about 'lady issues' if all else fails- no way he'll want details.

Quote Originally Posted by TCates190 View Post
    Another thing, at my job we are rewarded by getting "soda cards" where we can turn them in for free soda and candy. I just collect them or give them to other people. I appreciate the good intentions but still...
    That...is so weird. And I work in a pretty weird sector of business. Seriously? Candy coupons? What?

Also, the thing about the manager bringing McD's- it's tough because to them it is such a sweet, helpful gesture and a big treat. You don't want to insult them, especially when they are the ones signing your paycheck. Aruggh.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Just start throwing the candy away every morning, casually and gleefully as you walk in the door, with no tension or concern, as if it's akin to opening a door, and they'll learn to keep it away from you eventually. They will confront you, you will smile and nod and confirm that, yes, you will be avoiding temptation as you regain control of your health. This is YOUR world, YOUR health and you don't have to let culture pressure push you into the grave. There are no company policies that protect that candy dish.

You don't want to insult them, especially when they are the ones signing your paycheck.
    I have, can, do and will always refuse such fodder. I do it politely sometimes, sometimes with a plain, "I don't eat foods that make me sick." talk. People are adults. If they want to run and cry to their mamas, let them. And guess what? They quit bringing donuts and now bring awesome fruit instead. We are winning.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    How do you do primal in the workplace?
    I'm lucky enough to work with a celiac. So there's always a fruit platter.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    The annoying thing is when you politely decline food as you're not hungry and they immediately interpret that as you saying you're unwell rather than feeling better than ever, not having the urge to eat something despite not being remotely hungry.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I work at a place where people tend to gain weight after they start working here. I think the weight gain is as much from negative energy here as it is from all the food sitting around. To make matters worse, the secretary in our department LOVES to eat and loves others to eat. She has a pail that she regularly fills with crappy food. I can see it from my office and it is so interesting to watch the behavior of people. I put her up to putting celery and carrots in the pail one time. My theory was that they would avoid it, but I was wrong. Many people still helped themselves every time they walked by. Some absolutely cannot pass the pail without digging in. I've never been tempted; it really kind of grosses me out to see all those hands in that pail!

As for my primal efforts, I'm already pretty much known as the office health nut or resident wacko, so people are used to me avoiding certain food. Most of the time it's not a huge problem. As for the pizza lunches, I would probably just take my own food. When pressed, I just tell them I'm avoiding wheat for health reasons, which is still a pain, and I have been questioned. At the showers and parties, I just try to find the fruit/veg and whatever kind of meat I can. If it's a party where you bring something, I try to bring something I can get full on.

I've found that most people are pretty good about you being on a different diet, but some people just won't let it go or take the hint after you've refused the 10th bear claw!! When that happens, I know it's more about them than it is about me, but it's still annoying and just plain tiresome. I'm doing great right now on primal and am steeling myself for when people start telling me I'm too skinny. I'm 5'7" and small-boned and people think I'm underweight at 135 or 140 (mostly because of them being overweight). I plan to write out a food journal and detail all the fat and stuff that I'm eating and show it to them. It will be so much fun!!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoGirl View Post
    I work at a place where people tend to gain weight after they start working here. I think the weight gain is as much from negative energy here as it is from all the food sitting around.
    Given that the average American is gaining 1.3 pounds a year, just about every workplace in the US would qualify as a "place where people tend to gain weight after they start working there".

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoGirl View Post
    I'm doing great right now on primal and am steeling myself for when people start telling me I'm too skinny. I'm 5'7" and small-boned and people think I'm underweight at 135 or 140 (mostly because of them being overweight). I plan to write out a food journal and detail all the fat and stuff that I'm eating and show it to them. It will be so much fun!!
    Do it. I can't wait to see if they believe you.

Yeah, they call me underweight (I'm about your size, TornadoGirl) too! My favorite today (while eating my skin-on chicken thighs with greens) was the comment, 'you can just eat WHATEVER you want and NOT GET FAT, oh WAIT till you're my age....' etc. Uh, you did just notice me not eating the cupcakes being passed around, right? I'm not eating whatever I want! I'm eating real food!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast