I read about this a few days ago. It seems that beer drinkers in the US have taken out a suit against a notorious US brewery for allegedly watering its beer. I shan't name the brewery but will note in passing that it lays claim to German-language pronunciation of a Czech town for its beer and has even fought the genuine Czech brewery, which brews something like a real craft-product, for the rights to the name.

Anyway, it turns out that this brewery has now been acquired by a Belgian conglomerate that has already swallowed Scottish & Newcastle Breweries and goodness knows who else. As if the beer wasn't already bad enouigh, the new owners installed special equipment that very accurately monitored the alcohol content of the finished product and watered it back, if it happened to come out slightly over-strength ... Because, of course, the point of life is petty meanness and cost-cutting and certainly not pride in what you make.

The allegation is that the "brewery" -- the more anonymous word "company" would really do better -- has been misusing this equipment to water the beer down BELOW the strength stated on the label. The "brewery" denies this.

Does it even matter? The whole story illustrates everything that's wrong with contemporary food production. Beer should be brewed by half a dozen blokes in a shed round the corner. And preferably poured from a "little brown jug" by a wholesome country girl with an ample bosom. (And I don't mean that in a nasty or leering way, but as an innocent appreciation of the feminine).

Instead, people buy their beer from multinational accountants in an aluminium can, and drink it infront of the telly, so they don't have to talk to anyone. It's a profit-delivery system not a social activity.