Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet??

Hybrid View

Question Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet??

There are countless opinions on this and I used 80% as an example.. I've heard many different numbers.

I do not give a rat's, er, bum, about the number on the scale. If I weigh 140 or 170lbs, it makes no difference to me. I do however care about the aesthetic appearance of my body.

I am carrying a layer of body fat especially on the lower half of my body (female pear) and it's obvious. I don't have 'thick' thighs, I have untoned looking fat thighs covered in cellulite (which for me goes away entirely when my body fat is lower).

So how do I get this fat off my legs without losing all that precious muscle I'm building? If I just reduce my calories, I'm miserable, cranky, hungry and end up yo-yo binge/starve etc... Yes even if I eat more fat or protein. When I exercise I just become even more hungry and eat even more..

My question? Well I suppose I wonder what people believe is more effective for dropping body FAT not simply body WEIGHT.

How/when/what I exercise vs. how/when/what I eat?

(Not sure this is the appropriate forum, it seems the most active though)

I'm pretty sure you'd have to work out to maintain the muscle, and keep your protein up to maintain this muscle.

If you eat "normally", nutritious, balanced, to satiety etc, your body should shed the excess fat.

I definitely agree on keeping the protein up. Lately I've been eating so much fat I haven't been able to keep the protein upwards of 75g which might not be enough -- That's another question... How much protein vs. how much fat?

2/1 fat to protein caloric ratio is a good place to start (this would lead you to approximately equal grams) and along the lines of what good pieces of meat contain. That said there is no hard and fast rule except to make your fats the healthy variety.

Really you need to do resistance training to assure loss of fat rather than just weight. Resistance training changes your hormone profile so that lean mass is retained while the fat gets burned. Eating sufficient protein is also a must.

What is "working out"? You ought to be doing squats with heavy weights. Deadlifts, too.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What is "working out"? You ought to be doing squats with heavy weights. Deadlifts, too.
    This.

"Weight" loss is governed almost entirely by diet; the fat:muscle ratio is determined by your training.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You ought to be doing squats with heavy weights. Deadlifts, too.
    Says whom? Is Rippetoe the new prophet and "Starting Strength" the Bible and people have stopped to think for themselves? "You ought to do squats and deadlift" sound like the first commandment in the new Starting Strength religion!

Nobody "ought" to do Squats or Deadlift if they are not powerlifters, and good ol' Vince Gironda would have throwed you out of his gym only by mentioning the words "deadlift" or "squat"...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Says whom? Is Rippetoe the new prophet and "Starting Strength" the Bible and people have stopped to think for themselves? "You ought to do squats and deadlift" sound like the first commandment in the new Starting Strength religion!

Nobody "ought" to do Squats or Deadlift if they are not powerlifters, and good ol' Vince Gironda would have throwed you out of his gym only by mentioning the words "deadlift" or "squat"...
    I disagree. Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement. Do you have to do it? No. But you don't have to go Primal, either. You don't have to have a job. You can just live off of welfare checks. You don't have to get married, have children or maintain friendships and you are free to live as a hermit your entire life. There aren't many things in life you "have" to do. You don't have to get out of your bed in the morning. You can just stay there and rot away.

You can do whatever you want, but this is the most effective way. If you want to do something less effective, feel free to do that.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement.
    truth

i'd say that deadlifts, squats, and some sort of pullup/chinup/rope climb are the most fundamental human forms of movement aside from walking or running. for any able-bodied person, strength training should start with these 3 and expand from there.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 03-04-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I disagree. Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement. Do you have to do it? No. But you don't have to go Primal, either. You don't have to have a job. You can just live off of welfare checks. You don't have to get married, have children or maintain friendships and you are free to live as a hermit your entire life. There aren't many things in life you "have" to do. You don't have to get out of your bed in the morning. You can just stay there and rot away.

You can do whatever you want, but this is the most effective way. If you want to do something less effective, feel free to do that.
    Most effective for what? They are probably most effective in (over)taxing your CNS and keep you out of the gym, but great musclebuilders? Maybe, if you are built for them, but I woulden't prescribe them for everybody, that's just nonsense. I have trained people that got much better leg development from one legged legpress than from squats, so it highly depends on the anatomical build of the individual. And that comes from a person that can deadlift 500 lbs and that have squatted for more than thirthy years...