Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 126

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 9

  1. #81
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    It tells us that the pistol squat is a parlor trick. Strength is the most general of fitness adaptations. Who would you want to help you move heavy furniture? Who would you want to have your back in a war zone? A guy who can squat 600 pounds and can't do a pistol, or a skinny guy who can do 10 pistols but maxes out his squats at 185? I know my answer.
    LOL, this you have from an article of high priest Rippetoe, I am not sure that the best 1 RM squat powerlifter makes the best furniture mover either, or warrior, and I am not talking about skinny dudes versus powerlifters so that's a strawman! Basically strength is always specific, you get better on what you are training for, "the principle of specifity" and you may get some "carry over effect" as well, especially if growing more muscles along the way...

  2. #82
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    LOL, this you have from an article of high priest Rippetoe, I am not sure that the best 1 RM squat powerlifter makes the best furniture mover either, or warrior, and I am not talking about skinny dudes versus powerlifters so that's a strawman! Basically strength is always specific, you get better on what you are training for, "the principle of specifity" and you may get some "carry over effect" as well, especially if growing more muscles along the way...
    Of course strength is a general adaptation. Do you argue obviously wrong things just for the entertainment value?

  3. #83
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Of course strength is a general adaptation. Do you argue obviously wrong things just for the entertainment value?
    Are you starting to troll again? Physiologically a stronger muscle is a muscle that get bigger and there are no general adaption execpt that. So when we are talking about strength in exercise physiology we must also ask the question how do we test the strength, and this is always SPECIFIC! How do we test the strength of the quadriceps? By squats? By leg-extension? One legged legpress? Pick your type of testing and the specialist guys of those movements will get the best results...

  4. #84
    bob loblaw's Avatar
    bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    212
    If the only discussion here is the OPTIMAL way to add muscle, I'd agree on doing squats, DLs, and Bench Presses.

    But is that the discussion? A lot of people just hate the gym. Fine, go for walks, hikes, swim, go to the park and do pull ups, do push-ups. You NEVER have to do squats, deadlifts, or bench presses and you can be perfectly fit. (In fact, you can be extremely fit.) If you are looking for the OPTIMAL way to add msucle, then yes, they are awesome.

    I do Deadlifts and bench presses because they make me strong and I LOVE the way I feel after I do them. I do squats because they make me stronger, but I dread doing them. I am strongly considering replacing squats just for that reason. I have no need in my life for things I don't enjoy doing. (And I've given them years of chances...but I've never enjoyed them.)

  5. #85
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,542
    Abs are revealed in the kitchen but built in the gym.
    Work hard, eat clean and have fun.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  6. #86
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,740
    Some people in this thread are talking about health. Some are talking about strength. And some are talking about muscle size. And these people are all poking at the invisible places that the other person isn't even arguing. There aren't even any straw men here. Just a few people who are so bad at outlining their thoughts that we're now eight levels deep in miscommunication. It's kind of hilarious, actually. You can't even agree on what you disagree on because your schools of thought are so diverse.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  7. #87
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,070
    But is that the discussion? A lot of people just hate the gym. Fine, go for walks, hikes, swim, go to the park and do pull ups, do push-ups. You NEVER have to do squats, deadlifts, or bench presses and you can be perfectly fit. (In fact, you can be extremely fit.) If you are looking for the OPTIMAL way to add msucle, then yes, they are awesome.
    This.... all day long. In order to be effective, above all, you must DO the exercise. Thank you for reminding me. Most people just need to move. There 8,654,789 ways to exercise. Any that don't land you in a hospital are better than sitting on a couch. Some are more effective than others. If you actually go to Yoga 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, that's a lot better than taking on a weight training program that you hate and won't actually do.

    Yeah, if you want a 6 pack, you need a lot more focus in diet and fitness.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  8. #88
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Are you starting to troll again?
    Yeah, I'm the troll...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Physiologically a stronger muscle is a muscle that get bigger and there are no general adaption execpt that.
    Patently false statement from the guy who calls me a troll.

    Why All Muscle Was Not Created Equal - DeFranco's Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    So when we are talking about strength in exercise physiology we must also ask the question how do we test the strength, and this is always SPECIFIC!
    I gave you two ideas for this already. Who do you want by your side in a combat situation? The guy who leg presses all day but lacks the mobility to even get his hands on the bar for the deadlift? Who would you prefer help move your couch up a flight of stairs? You can have the brodude with the "swole" calves in the muscle shirt. I'll have Andy Bolton.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    How do we test the strength of the quadriceps? By squats? By leg-extension? One legged legpress? Pick your type of testing and the specialist guys of those movements will get the best results...
    I certainly don't purport to know how one tests the strength of a quadriceps. I can only think of meaningful ways of testing the strength of the individual to whom the quadriceps are attached. In your favorite guru Mark Rippetoe's oft-used example: Who can clean more weight, a guy who deadlifts 200 lbs or a guy who deadlifts 500 lbs? The answer is clear and obvious. Are you as confident if we change the word "deadlift" to "leg press?" I'm not.

  9. #89
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,198
    Nobody has to do barbell training. It's kind of a short cut, nothing more.

    There are plenty of people in the gym to observe. The girls on the treadmills are skinny like how most girls want to be. The girls on the weights have more definition or else they are fat or body-built. The girls who never pick up a barbell but do either machines and chinups have more defined muscles than I do, but maybe that is only because they are thin enough to do chinups.

    I can't tell another woman what is best because I don't think there is a best. I like barbells because of the reward of making progress and because it's a shortcut to strength, but they do not make a fat girl slim and they certainly are not the only way to get strong or healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  10. #90
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some of the best movers I have known are scrawny-looking guys.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •