Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 8

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    How did a question on the effectiveness of diet for weightloss devolve into a discussion on squats and deadlifts? You don't need to build lean muscle to lose weight, though it doesn't hurt

Ignore the jocks. It is perfectly possible for many people to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight by diet and moving slowly alone. It may take time as the diet and light exercise may have to begin healing you before any significant loss, beyond initial water weight, can occur.
    Cuz the jocks needed an excuse to flex their muscles at each other and brag. I have built a lot of muscle just by hiking and doing sprints with some occasional PBF moves like counter push ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    LOL exactly. Don't worry bout it. Your gains speak for themselves. Muscle is muscle. You can build it through a variety of methods and programs. I'm up to my eyeballs in BroScience on this thread. Nothing you can do or say when people are so dogmatic.

Hey I agree with Lyle on something!

Lyle says: "Answer: First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is no requirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength). I know that this contradicts everything that has ever been written on the Internet but the idea that someone must squat to get big is mainly a lot of macho nonsense." Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Waddya know? Lyle had something sensible to say.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    It's usually uncomfortable at first. I'm not convinced there's any benefit except for those with disproportionately long legs who can't pull (or can't pull well) conventional.
    I think once you get use to the wider stance you can pull more weight that way. But is that a good thing? You shorten the distance you have to move the weigh, making it easier. But I don't do deadlifts to make em easy. I do agree with rip on things like no bounce and dead stop and whatnot.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-04-2013 at 04:52 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    And here is the problem. Ignore those who don't tell you exactly what you want to hear. Guess what? We are all on this website because we were lied to for decades of our lives and we suffered the consequences. If you want to fall into that trap again, that's your right. However, I won't be a part of the ignorance, and I'm not going to console someone's fears and ensure that they never realize their true potential.

All of you have the power to change your lives and you can all do so much more than you give yourselves credit for. If you want someone to just reassure your fears and help dig your rut deeper, don't ask me. I won't be a part of it.
    Strangely enough, I only move slowly a lot and maintain a good diet, along primal/PHD lines, yet I maintain a BMI of around 22 and have a reasonable body definition without being ripped. Am regularly complemented on my appearance.

What I don't do is claim I have the one true path. I'm too old for that. You are clearly just a dumb, young jock. Don't worry. You'll grow out of it, probably.

BTW, the OP didn't ask YOU any more than she asked any of us. You are not anyone's saviour - really, you're not. More like a very naughty boy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    If fat loss is 80% about diet, then internet forums must be 80% about undies being in a bunch

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    What I don't do is claim I have the one true path. I'm too old for that. You are clearly just a dumb, young jock. Don't worry. You'll grow out of it, probably.

BTW, the OP didn't ask YOU any more than she asked any of us. You are not anyone's saviour - really, you're not. More like a very naughty boy
    Thanks for showing your true colors. I appreciate the appeal to age as well. Quoted for everyone to see. You contribute very little. You may as well not even be here
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I think once you get use to the wider stance you can pull more weight that way. But is that a good thing? You shorten the distance you have to move the weigh, making it easier. But I don't do deadlifts to make em easy. I do agree with rip on things like no bounce and dead stop and whatnot.
    Well, some competitors pull conventional, some sumo, so I would guess that whether a person can lift more that way is dependent on individual characteristics. But I digress.

We're not really saying different things. The absolute optimal way to do something is not the only way to achieve a goal.

We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. That's why the Primal Blueprint law isn't "follow a novice linear progression of squats, deadlifts, bench press, and press," but simply "Lift Heavy Things"

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    LOL exactly. Don't worry bout it. Your gains speak for themselves. Muscle is muscle. You can build it through a variety of methods and programs. I'm up to my eyeballs in BroScience on this thread. Nothing you can do or say when people are so dogmatic.

Hey I agree with Lyle on something!

Lyle says: "Answer: First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is no requirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength). I know that this contradicts everything that has ever been written on the Internet but the idea that someone must squat to get big is mainly a lot of macho nonsense." Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Lyle McDonald is spot on in that article and very relevant to myself! I have done squats on and off for many, many years but due to relative short torso and long femurs I really suck in doing heavy squats, compared to many other lifts. And the impact on the lower back is far too high compared to the legs, but I have done them anyhow, but more as an lower back exercise. In leg press on the other hand, I am pressing 900 lbs (20 plates) for 40 - 50 reps, I am first doing around 20 reps without locking out, then taking 5 deep breaths, then 10 - 12 new reps, then continuing rep - pause until I do 40 - 50 total reps. Some of the strongest squatters in my gym seem to struggle hard by doing 8 -10 total reps and 12 plates... So who is strongest between a guy that can squat heavy but not do good in legpress or a guy that do best in legpress but do rather poor in squats? Well, that question depends on how we decides to test "leg strength", on a leg strength maschine I would be strongest in my gym, but if doing squat I loose to a typical squat dude! Also remember that "strength" is always specific, so there are excellent barbell back squat guys that may suck in one legged pistol squats...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    who is strongest between a guy that can squat heavy but not do good in legpress or a guy that do best in legpress but do rather poor in squats?
    The guy that can squat heavy is stronger. His strength is useful in scenarios where he has to stabilize a weight, such as those actually encountered in real life.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The guy that can squat heavy is stronger. His strength is useful in scenarios where he has to stabilize a weight, such as those actually encountered in real life.
    "Strength" is always spesific and there are no garanties for any "carry over effect" from heavy barbell squats to real life situations; there are big ass powerlifter dudes that can't even stabilize their own bodyweight in doing a one legged pistol squat properly. What does that tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    "Strength" is always spesific and there are no garanties for any "carry over effect" from heavy barbell squats to real life situations; there are big ass powerlifter dudes that can't even stabilize their own bodyweight in doing a one legged pistol squat properly. What does that tell us?
    It tells us that the pistol squat is a parlor trick. Strength is the most general of fitness adaptations. Who would you want to help you move heavy furniture? Who would you want to have your back in a war zone? A guy who can squat 600 pounds and can't do a pistol, or a skinny guy who can do 10 pistols but maxes out his squats at 185? I know my answer.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast