Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 7

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Seems like it would be really uncomfortable maybe.
    Will have to try it and see I guess.
    It's usually uncomfortable at first. I'm not convinced there's any benefit except for those with disproportionately long legs who can't pull (or can't pull well) conventional.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I haven't heard you list any real physical limitations. All I've heard is "I can't." Why can't you? What physical deformity is keeping you from completing basic human movements? I think you can. I think you just don't want to.
    I NEVER said I can't exercise. I said I couldn't do barbells and heavier weights. Stop trying to make me sound like a whining fool who won't go near the gym. I already said I had built a good deal of muscle from using lighter weights and gave you the recent results of the impedance test my doctor ran. I am 67 years old. I have deteriorated discs in my lower back and neck, Osgood-Slaughter, as well as a badly healed leg from a childhood accident. I've been told by the orthopedist and PTs NOT to do very heavy weights and barbells are out. You should stop being an arrogant know it all. As I said b/f, many have physical limitations and cannot do as you suggest. As it is, I've done what I can with what I have which many, including the trainer aqt my gym, think is pretty great.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    "Everybody without exceptions ought to do deadlift and squats! - Amen!"

And the high priest Rippetoe, and all the other die-hard muscleheads and bros around the globe are all nodding in holy agreement about the first commandment of the new Starting Strength religion...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I NEVER said I can't exercise. I said I couldn't do barbells and heavier weights. Stop trying to make me sound like a whining fool who won't go near the gym. I already said I had built a good deal of muscle from using lighter weights and gave you the recent results of the impedance test my doctor ran. I am 67 years old. I have deteriorated discs in my lower back and neck, Osgood-Slaughter, as well as a badly healed leg from a childhood accident. I've been told by the orthopedist and PTs NOT to do very heavy weights and barbells are out. You should stop being an arrogant know it all. As I said b/f, many have physical limitations and cannot do as you suggest. As it is, I've done what I can with what I have which many, including the trainer aqt my gym, think is pretty great.
    Well, that certainly escalated quickly. It appears you have selective hearing, since I've stated over and over again that neither exercise requires heavy weight and you should be focusing on the range of motion, not 1 repetition maxes. Squats are a very common physical therapy movement because they exercise such a full range of motion of your lower body. Deadlifts are similar, although they're not widely used for PT (though they clearly can be). You can act as offended as you want. The fact is you're making excuses for yourself not to do something. You have clearly never tried, yet you're making yourself out to be an expert as well? Hmm.

You absolutely can do this. Don't simply choose not to. I don't care if you're 16 years old or 67 years old. You're perfectly capable, and you're a lot stronger and impressive than you think you are. You'd be shocked what you can accomplish. You just need to believe in yourself.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

boomingno is offline Member
    janie, nobody is saying you should load up 250# and try deadlifting that. But what ChocoTaco is trying to say, if perhaps a bit to enthusiastically, is that the MOTIONS involved in squatting, benching and deadlifting are extremely beneficial, regardless of how much or little weight is on the bar, assuming they are done properly.

With that being said, you listed some things that would probably support your avoidance of them. But do your doctor and trainer recommend that you avoid them after giving them full consideration, or do they recommend that you avoid them because they just blanket assume that squats and deadlifts are bad for your back/legs/knees (which is NOT true if they are performed properly)?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    janie, nobody is saying you should load up 250# and try deadlifting that. But what ChocoTaco is trying to say, if perhaps a bit to enthusiastically, is that the MOTIONS involved in squatting, benching and deadlifting are extremely beneficial, regardless of how much or little weight is on the bar, assuming they are done properly.
    I think that's what's being lost here. Progressive loading applies to all resistance training exercises. I can do chin ups with extra poundage, but I wouldn't go telling my gf who can't do one with her bodyweight yet to train them heavy.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

peril is offline Senior Member
    How did a question on the effectiveness of diet for weightloss devolve into a discussion on squats and deadlifts? You don't need to build lean muscle to lose weight, though it doesn't hurt

Ignore the jocks. It is perfectly possible for many people to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight by diet and moving slowly alone. It may take time as the diet and light exercise may have to begin healing you before any significant loss, beyond initial water weight, can occur.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    How did a question on the effectiveness of diet for weightloss devolve into a discussion on squats and deadlifts? You don't need to build lean muscle to lose weight, though it doesn't hurt
    For the same reason discussions usually blow up. People get offended when they don't hear what they want to hear.

There are two effective tools to lose body fat:
    1.) Diet
    2.) Exercise

Diet is the most important thing for weight loss. Exercise is what ensures that the weight you lose is fat while preserving muscle mass. So, we'll go back to the OP's question:

Quote Originally Posted by aerie View Post
    So how do I get this fat off my legs without losing all that precious muscle I'm building? If I just reduce my calories, I'm miserable, cranky, hungry and end up yo-yo binge/starve etc... Yes even if I eat more fat or protein. When I exercise I just become even more hungry and eat even more..

My question? Well I suppose I wonder what people believe is more effective for dropping body FAT not simply body WEIGHT.

How/when/what I exercise vs. how/when/what I eat?
    If people here would bother to read the opening post, the OP clearly states they don't necessarily want to lose WEIGHT, they want to lose fat while preserving muscle without significantly reducing calories. So, that is why this turned into a discussion on deadlifts, squats and benchpresses. That is how you convert fat to muscle without changing caloric intake, and that is how you preserve muscle while losing fat on a caloric deficit.

Somewhere along the line, some people didn't want to hear the truth. I'm not here to make excuses for others. I clearly stated over and over again that it's the motions that are important, not to throw 200 lbs on a bar and start picking it up or strapping it on your back. Learn how to increase your body's range of motion, learn how to develop proper form. If you can do that, maybe one day you can add weight. I don't need to be brainwashed by some 60 year old doctor who never touched a weight in his life, thinks coconut oil is going to kill us because of the saturated fat, thinks egg yolks are the devil incarnate, thinks that a high protein diet is going to shut down my kidneys and thinks deadlifts are going to blow out my back and squats are going to blow out my knees. That's why we're in the situation we're in. People on this site all the time switch doctors that don't understand the fat/cholesterol hypothesis. It's also important to ditch the doctors that don't understand how to exercise for doctors that have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Ignore the jocks. It is perfectly possible for many people to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight by diet and moving slowly alone. It may take time as the diet and light exercise may have to begin healing you before any significant loss, beyond initial water weight, can occur.
    And here is the problem. Ignore those who don't tell you exactly what you want to hear. Guess what? We are all on this website because we were lied to for decades of our lives and we suffered the consequences. If you want to fall into that trap again, that's your right. However, I won't be a part of the ignorance, and I'm not going to console someone's fears and ensure that they never realize their true potential.

All of you have the power to change your lives and you can all do so much more than you give yourselves credit for. If you want someone to just reassure your fears and help dig your rut deeper, don't ask me. I won't be a part of it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely 80% diet in my personal experience. Deadlifts, squats and even bench press need to be done correctly to avoid injury. If you are just beginning, go light, practice your technique - this is incredibly important, less is more, prioritize elegance not resistance in the beginning, also work the core muscles with supplementary exercises in order to prepare your body and slowly build your strength. The key to functional strength training is learning to make less feel like more. Forget about the amount of weight you can lift. Shift your focus to how you are lifting it.
    Last edited by canuck416; 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I can see that despite my not being able to do Chaco's plan, the fact that I've built a good deal of muscle w/o barbells is generally ignored or discounted. I must be lazy and making excuses? Not wanting to work out? The fact that I (and many others) can't do some exercises due to physical limitations is reason for derision? Small minded.
    LOL exactly. Don't worry bout it. Your gains speak for themselves. Muscle is muscle. You can build it through a variety of methods and programs. I'm up to my eyeballs in BroScience on this thread. Nothing you can do or say when people are so dogmatic.

Hey I agree with Lyle on something!

Lyle says: "Answer: First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is no requirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength). I know that this contradicts everything that has ever been written on the Internet but the idea that someone must squat to get big is mainly a lot of macho nonsense." http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-big-legs.html
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-04-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast