Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Chaco that vid you posted of the woman dead lifting. Is her stance way too wide?
    Ive never ever seen anyone else do it like that. When I was doing CF, I was taught to do hip width apart, but it was how I did it before that anyway.
    Is is doing something different than legs closer together?
    I do not like keeping my feet close together. I keep my legs wider than shoulder width. Doing so allows me to pull up more with my legs. The tighter your stance, the more lower back you will use. I don't like involving my lower back.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You don't need an excuse not to do what's optimal. You have to do what works/fits in your life. You just won't get any sympathy from me if you refuse to do these 3 things and then complain that you're not seeing optimal results. These are the lifts (I'd add the press and not_on_the_rug's upper body pull) that optimally drive the adaptations that most of us are trying to achieve via weight training.
    That's my contention. I was asked in the OP to provide the most effective way at losing fat without losing weight. That is absolutely heavy weight training. If you want the best fat:muscle ratio with the least amount of time spent in the gym, this is what you do. If you're not willing to do it, you're probably not going to get the results you want.

I simply answered the question with the best answer. Making excuses for why people can't do it isn't going to help. All that does is reinforce their doubt and lack of self confidence. People would be amazed what they can do if they just apply themselves. 2 years ago I never would have dreamed I could do what I do now. I weigh a lousy 150 lbs, I'm 5'7" and I've been a small, unathletic midget my whole life. I may never be some amazing specimen, but I'm happy with what I can now achieve and it's only getting better.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-04-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    And what if the impact due to individual anatomy hit the "wrong" places more than the muscle groups you are trying to develop, and there are better alternatives? Replacing deadlifts with "rack pull" will give a better upper back development for many people if thats a priority, so it all depends on context and goals. No exercises are absolutely indespensable.

And the photo you posted of the strong wheel-chaired dude was a very good counter argument against your own position about Squats and Deadlifts, just saying ...
    I think Gorbag has me on ignore, so would somebody please explain to him that the very CNS-related responses to lifting that he mentioned in an earlier post are the reason why it's not about hitting individual bits of the anatomy (for those of us non-bodybuilders), but about the fact that strength is a general adaptation (and largely a CNS adaptation). Leg press simply can't elicit the same CNS response as the squat.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm sorry, what was the excuse again? The only people that I want to hear making excuses are people with no arms and legs.

And even that's stretching it.
    I applaud your effort. I'm learning however that there's some people you just won't be able to convince...

After being told that i'm "doing it wrong" by a male coworker and that I should just be doing cardio for fat loss, I laughed and am not even bothering to talk about it anymore. There's maybe 1-2 I know who "get it" and I can safely discuss it without wanting to bang my head against a wall.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Are they deadlifting sumo style? Some people do it that way instead of regular.
    Possibly, but her legs were almost as far apart as the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I do not like keeping my feet close together. I keep my legs wider than shoulder width. Doing so allows me to pull up more with my legs. The tighter your stance, the more lower back you will use. I don't like involving my lower back.
    But that far apart though? Seems like it would be really uncomfortable maybe.
    Will have to try it and see I guess.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I can see that despite my not being able to do Chaco's plan, the fact that I've built a good deal of muscle w/o barbells is generally ignored or discounted. I must be lazy and making excuses? Not wanting to work out? The fact that I (and many others) can't do some exercises due to physical limitations is reason for derision? Small minded.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerie View Post
    There are countless opinions on this and I used 80% as an example.. I've heard many different numbers.

I do not give a rat's, er, bum, about the number on the scale. If I weigh 140 or 170lbs, it makes no difference to me. I do however care about the aesthetic appearance of my body.

I am carrying a layer of body fat especially on the lower half of my body (female pear) and it's obvious. I don't have 'thick' thighs, I have untoned looking fat thighs covered in cellulite (which for me goes away entirely when my body fat is lower).

So how do I get this fat off my legs without losing all that precious muscle I'm building? If I just reduce my calories, I'm miserable, cranky, hungry and end up yo-yo binge/starve etc... Yes even if I eat more fat or protein. When I exercise I just become even more hungry and eat even more..

My question? Well I suppose I wonder what people believe is more effective for dropping body FAT not simply body WEIGHT.

How/when/what I exercise vs. how/when/what I eat?

(Not sure this is the appropriate forum, it seems the most active though)
    To lift or not to lift...I have no idea.

But nobody has really addressed the issue of whether you need to lean out or not to begin with.

You have what sounds like a completely normal and healthy *female* body type and fat distribution. What does a "layer of body fat" look like to you? Just because its obvious doesn't mean its unsightly. Since the number on the scale is irrelevant to you, is your layer of fat merely a matter of perception?

And cellulite is hereditary and has very little to do with weight. I've seen plenty of slim women with it. Its just fat squishing out between strands of connective tissue. So while cutting fat will reduce the look of cellulite, there's not much you can do to get rid of it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I think Gorbag has me on ignore, so would somebody please explain to him that the very CNS-related responses to lifting that he mentioned in an earlier post are the reason why it's not about hitting individual bits of the anatomy (for those of us non-bodybuilders), but about the fact that strength is a general adaptation (and largely a CNS adaptation). Leg press simply can't elicit the same CNS response as the squat.
    Yep. Leg presses are great - for a follow-up exercise. Following a heavy squat session with some higher repetition leg presses to encourage hypertrophy is a great idea. And not making every single squat session a chase for a new PR is also a great idea. That mentality was burning me out. I'm starting to vary my sessions - heavy, repetition, speed, repeat. It allows more recovery and enhanced glycogen storage and hypertrophy from the higher reps mixed in, which is something my workout was severely lacking. I expect a good increase in endurance, which should make those 1RM's less challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I can see that despite my not being able to do Chaco's plan, the fact that I've built a good deal of muscle w/o barbells is generally ignored or discounted. I must be lazy and making excuses? Not wanting to work out? The fact that I (and many others) can't do some exercises due to physical limitations is reason for derision? Small minded.
    I haven't heard you list any real physical limitations. All I've heard is "I can't." Why can't you? What physical deformity is keeping you from completing basic human movements? I think you can. I think you just don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    But that far apart though? Seems like it would be really uncomfortable maybe.
    Will have to try it and see I guess.
    Try different stances. I prefer a wider stance because it takes a lot of weight off my back. See this lady?

My legs are probably that far apart when I deadlift. Not in that exact pattern (she is doing a pretty gnarly half-squat...not even close to a full repetition), but you get the idea.

This is almost exactly how I stand:

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast