Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 5

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm old, and I do straight leg deadlifts and moderate range of motion fairly heavy squats. I go heavier with a spotter---only happens once or maybe twice a week. I do a full-body weight workout three times a week, despite night shifts and walking/running dogs 3 miles a day. But I can't do regular deadlifts, and I won't do cleans....I've already had one back surgery, and have no intent of another. OTOH, i can do 6 dead hang overhand pullups when last year I couldn't do one.

BTW, what happens when the two nurses on the floor who actually lift move the 300 lb deadweight patient? You crack their head on the headboard.......

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Reminds me of Grandma Gatewood. Pioneer ultralight backpacker.

"Most people are pantywaists. Exercise is good for you."
    –Emma "Grandma" Gatewood, the first woman to through-hike the Appalachian Trail
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Dunno... how much does he squat/deadlift? I mean that was the point you were on before posting a pic of this ripped dude in a wheelchair. Are you intentionally trying to contradict yourself?
    While I find your attempt to troll with a strawman amusing, it won't work.

The point is if you won't do squats, deadlifts and benchpresses, you better be missing limbs. Hell, even people with missing limbs are still doing them to an extent. You have no excuse. Having weak bones and a limited range of motion is not an excuse to not lift. It is a reason to lift, since it strengthens your bones and increases ROM dramatically. It isn't all about super heavy weight. It's about the heaviest weight you can move comfortably. If that's 40 lbs or 400 lbs, do the motions with some weight. That is what counts.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    What about Yogis from Asia? Are they weak, at risk for disease, etc. because they don't do those movements with large weights?

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    One of the things I dislike about this board is the insistence that everyone has the same capacities. One-size-fits-all is only true in a cheap clothing store.
    I agree. While I have all my body parts I also have cerebral palsy which involves brain damage. With this in mind my brain can not tell my body how to do certain things.

I think all the "shoulds" and "should nots" that get thrown around on this forum can be a real primal turn off for many people. And I find that sad.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Chaco that vid you posted of the woman dead lifting. Is her stance way too wide?
    Ive never ever seen anyone else do it like that. When I was doing CF, I was taught to do hip width apart, but it was how I did it before that anyway.
    Is is doing something different than legs closer together?
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 03-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The point is if you won't do squats, deadlifts and benchpresses, you better be missing limbs. Hell, even people with missing limbs are still doing them to an extent. You have no excuse. Having weak bones and a limited range of motion is not an excuse to not lift. It is a reason to lift, since it strengthens your bones and increases ROM dramatically. It isn't all about super heavy weight. It's about the heaviest weight you can move comfortably. If that's 40 lbs or 400 lbs, do the motions with some weight. That is what counts.
    And what if the impact due to individual anatomy hit the "wrong" places more than the muscle groups you are trying to develop, and there are better alternatives? Replacing deadlifts with "rack pull" will give a better upper back development for many people if thats a priority, so it all depends on context and goals. No exercises are absolutely indespensable.

And the photo you posted of the strong wheel-chaired dude was a very good counter argument against your own position about Squats and Deadlifts, just saying ...

painted-into-corner.jpg

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    The point is if you won't do squats, deadlifts and benchpresses, you better be missing limbs. Hell, even people with missing limbs are still doing them to an extent. You have no excuse.
    You don't need an excuse not to do what's optimal. You have to do what works/fits in your life. You just won't get any sympathy from me if you refuse to do these 3 things and then complain that you're not seeing optimal results. These are the lifts (I'd add the press and not_on_the_rug's upper body pull) that optimally drive the adaptations that most of us are trying to achieve via weight training.

Having weak bones and a limited range of motion is not an excuse to not lift. It is a reason to lift
    100% agree.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Access to barbells can be a challenge for a lot of people.
    I'm finding that to be the biggest barrier to lifting heavy. No appropriate place in my house and no gym near enough to my house (everything around me is the YMCA ($$$$$) or boutique gyms). Serious lack of Globo Gyms. The $10 gym is scarily too sketchy to hand my CC number to.

LOL, we need to have government funded no frills gyms. Seriously. A bunch of weight benches, squat racks, free weights, bars and plates.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Chaco that vid you posted of the woman dead lifting. Is her stance way too wide?
    Ive never ever seen anyone else do it like that. When I was doing CF, I was taught to do hip width apart, but it was how I did it before that anyway.
    Is is doing something different than legs closer together?
    Are they deadlifting sumo style? Some people do it that way instead of regular.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast