Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 126

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 3

  1. #21
    Pebbles67's Avatar
    Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York
    Posts
    9,538
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    .8g-1g protein per 1lb. Body weight, plus 100g carbs, and the rest should be fat.
    So, if you weigh 170lbs, you should get 140-170g protein (540- 680 calories of protein)
    Mark says .8 to 1 gram of protein for Lean Body Mass (not straight up body weight) which would make a big difference in this calculation. Was that what you intended to say?

  2. #22
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    My point is only that nobody "ought" to do them, it depends on your goals, how you are built, and the totality of your training and also diet. Going above 5 reps on squat and deads and not too close to failure will not be that taxing of course. So I am not saying not do do squats and deads, but the new Starting Strength religion that everybody "ought" to do them is beyond retarded IMO...
    I still disagree.

    Everyone "ought to:"
    - Avoid grains
    - Avoid refined seed oils
    - Avoid improperly prepared beans
    - Get plenty of fresh air and sunshine
    - Get plenty of sleep
    - Walk several miles a day
    - Avoid cigarette smoke
    - Squat, deadlift and benchpress (I guess exceptions to this rule are para/quadriplegics and people missing arms and legs?

    Will everyone do that? No. But I don't understand how anyone can disagree with any of that. You may not want to be a body builder. You may not want to have single digit body fat. But you should still walk and lift heavy weights. Regardless of aesthetic goals, they are good for 100% of us.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  3. #23
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,731
    Not everyone should or has to squat, deadlift, and bench.... beyond your small list of contraindications there are circulatory disease, osteoperosis, disc and spinal injuries, neurological and balance disorders.... and so on and so forth that could make these things detrimental to health. Strength training really can be built for each individuals current status and goals.

    When you define goals most will find that lifting heavy weights in general is simply a means to an end (unless its your job). Get stronger and be healthy is usually the actual goal. My brother spends all day as an ironworker. He don't need to squat and deadlift in some gym EVER to be healthy and strong. If your argument is that everyone should be able to do these things when called upon then you may have a point, but they aren't the only tools in the shed when it comes producing strength.

  4. #24
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I still disagree.

    Everyone "ought to:"
    - Avoid grains
    - Avoid refined seed oils
    - Avoid improperly prepared beans
    - Get plenty of fresh air and sunshine
    - Get plenty of sleep
    - Walk several miles a day
    - Avoid cigarette smoke
    - Squat, deadlift and benchpress (I guess exceptions to this rule are para/quadriplegics and people missing arms and legs?

    Will everyone do that? No. But I don't understand how anyone can disagree with any of that. You may not want to be a body builder. You may not want to have single digit body fat. But you should still walk and lift heavy weights. Regardless of aesthetic goals, they are good for 100% of us.
    It's not rational to do squat if your goals are to develop quadriceps and if leg-press or machine hacklift can give your BETTER quadriceps development than squats, or IF your butt/hips grows too big from squats and you dont want that, or that you taxes the lower back too much due to long femurs etc., ad infinitum, so it all depends on lots of individual factors whether squats is the best solution or not! And if it's not optimal related to your goals why continue to do them?

    So to repeat myself: Nobody ought to do squats, benchpress or deadlift, but do them if they fits your goals!

  5. #25
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement...this is the most effective way. If you want to do something less effective, feel free to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    deadlifts, squats, and some sort of pullup/chinup/rope climb are the most fundamental human forms of movement aside from walking or running. for any able-bodied person, strength training should start with these 3 and expand from there.
    Yup. And yup.

  6. #26
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,946
    Fat loss is 100% diet. Adding muscle and improving health, that's where fitness comes in. I could starve down to bones sitting right here in this chair and be lazy the whole time.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  7. #27
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Not everyone should or has to squat, deadlift, and bench.... beyond your small list of contraindications there are circulatory disease, osteoperosis, disc and spinal injuries, neurological and balance disorders.... and so on and so forth that could make these things detrimental to health. Strength training really can be built for each individuals current status and goals.

    When you define goals most will find that lifting heavy weights in general is simply a means to an end (unless its your job). Get stronger and be healthy is usually the actual goal. My brother spends all day as an ironworker. He don't need to squat and deadlift in some gym EVER to be healthy and strong. If your argument is that everyone should be able to do these things when called upon then you may have a point, but they aren't the only tools in the shed when it comes producing strength.
    Sorry, I still disagree.

    Circulatory disease and osteoporosis? One of the primary causes of these things are a lack of weight training. Study after study have shown that men and overweight women are resistant to osteoporosis because the additional weight carried keeps bones strong. Osteoporosis is prevalent in thin, older women. Weight training will improve both substantially by increasing the size of blood vessels and promoting bone growth and development. People that lift rarely ever get osteoporosis.

    Spinal injuries? So? Don't squat with heavy weight/any weight. Doing body weight squats and simply deadlifting a bar will improve ROM and flexibility without putting stress on weak joints. Both movements are great for physical therapy.

    Neurological disorders? Huh? Maybe narcoleptics shouldn't be squatting. But what percentage of the population are they? Instead of focusing on the 0.5% of people that shouldn't be doing these movements, how about we focus on the 99.5% that should be? So many people on this forum love to try and tear down an argument because of some rare exception that virtually no one belongs to. Let's focus on reality, here.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #28
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Maybe narcoleptics shouldn't be squatting.
    Certainly not without a proper squat rack and correctly placed pins.

  9. #29
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Not everyone should or has to squat, deadlift, and bench.... beyond your small list of contraindications there are circulatory disease, osteoperosis, disc and spinal injuries, neurological and balance disorders.... and so on and so forth that could make these things detrimental to health. Strength training really can be built for each individuals current status and goals.

    When you define goals most will find that lifting heavy weights in general is simply a means to an end (unless its your job). Get stronger and be healthy is usually the actual goal. My brother spends all day as an ironworker. He don't need to squat and deadlift in some gym EVER to be healthy and strong. If your argument is that everyone should be able to do these things when called upon then you may have a point, but they aren't the only tools in the shed when it comes producing strength.
    THIS

    So agree.

    Choco - what about people who already HAVE these conditions?? I could not do the workouts you recommend, yet working around age, old injuries & health issues, I've managed to build more muscle and haven't gone near a barbell.

  10. #30
    sqidmark's Avatar
    sqidmark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Police State
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    .8g-1g protein per 1lb. Body weight, plus 100g carbs, and the rest should be fat.
    So, if you weigh 170lbs...
    I believe it's supposed to be .7-1g protein per pound of Lean Body Mass, not current weight (if that's what you meant). I currently weigh about 145 but my LBM is about 117, so I would calculate my protein requirement from that. Since I want to lose fat, 117x.7= about 82g of protein. I think I have that right.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •