Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 2

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Abs are made in the kitchen".

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerie View Post
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful responses.

Lifting heavy: how do I learn to do this? I assume you mean lifting those giant bars with big weights on each side?? I only just joined the YMCA and haven't ventured near the "big" weights area yet.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat in this department. Basically resistance training overloads your muscles generating a response to KEEP that muscle when your not eating enough calories.... hence you burn fat, not muscle. If you don't need that muscle (i.e. your not using it...) the body sees it as a metabolically wasteful source of fuel and will happily burn it for energy along with the fat.

So to do resistance training you can use bodyweight, machines, freeweights.... or a combo of all three. "Body by Science" is an excellent book for introduction to High Intensity Training with machines 1-2x/week that will easily produce the response needed to keep muscle while losing fat. "Starting Strength" is a book on beginner free weight program that many on here advocate.... but I would not recommend his program while leaning out or losing weight. Its actually far too much volume for those instances and you will just end up run down. Mark's book "Primal Fitness" is free and a great intro to body weight work.

I personally do one HIT (body by science routine), one deadlift day, and one sprint day a week. Works very well for my needs. The important thing at first is to just stick to an easy program. This stuff ain't rocket science no matter how much the BB magazines make it seem so. Lift something heavy a few times... put it down.... thats a resistance workout.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You ought to be doing squats with heavy weights. Deadlifts, too.
    Says whom? Is Rippetoe the new prophet and "Starting Strength" the Bible and people have stopped to think for themselves? "You ought to do squats and deadlift" sound like the first commandment in the new Starting Strength religion!

Nobody "ought" to do Squats or Deadlift if they are not powerlifters, and good ol' Vince Gironda would have throwed you out of his gym only by mentioning the words "deadlift" or "squat"...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Says whom? Is Rippetoe the new prophet and "Starting Strength" the Bible and people have stopped to think for themselves? "You ought to do squats and deadlift" sound like the first commandment in the new Starting Strength religion!

Nobody "ought" to do Squats or Deadlift if they are not powerlifters, and good ol' Vince Gironda would have throwed you out of his gym only by mentioning the words "deadlift" or "squat"...
    I disagree. Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement. Do you have to do it? No. But you don't have to go Primal, either. You don't have to have a job. You can just live off of welfare checks. You don't have to get married, have children or maintain friendships and you are free to live as a hermit your entire life. There aren't many things in life you "have" to do. You don't have to get out of your bed in the morning. You can just stay there and rot away.

You can do whatever you want, but this is the most effective way. If you want to do something less effective, feel free to do that.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement.
    truth

i'd say that deadlifts, squats, and some sort of pullup/chinup/rope climb are the most fundamental human forms of movement aside from walking or running. for any able-bodied person, strength training should start with these 3 and expand from there.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 03-04-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I disagree. Everyone should do squats and deadlifts because they are the two most effective exercises at building lean muscle mass and strengthening the entire body in one single movement. Do you have to do it? No. But you don't have to go Primal, either. You don't have to have a job. You can just live off of welfare checks. You don't have to get married, have children or maintain friendships and you are free to live as a hermit your entire life. There aren't many things in life you "have" to do. You don't have to get out of your bed in the morning. You can just stay there and rot away.

You can do whatever you want, but this is the most effective way. If you want to do something less effective, feel free to do that.
    Most effective for what? They are probably most effective in (over)taxing your CNS and keep you out of the gym, but great musclebuilders? Maybe, if you are built for them, but I woulden't prescribe them for everybody, that's just nonsense. I have trained people that got much better leg development from one legged legpress than from squats, so it highly depends on the anatomical build of the individual. And that comes from a person that can deadlift 500 lbs and that have squatted for more than thirthy years...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Most effective for what? They are probably most effective in (over)taxing your CNS and keep you out of the gym, but great musclebuilders? Maybe, if you are built for them, but I woulden't prescribe them for everybody, that's just nonsense. I have trained people that got much better leg development from one legged legpress than from squats, so it highly depends on the anatomical build of the individual. And that comes from a person that can deadlift 500 lbs and that have squatted for more than thirthy years...
    That is not even remotely true. If you're trying to set a PR every single week and your idea of a light set is 3 repetitions, you'd be right. I rotate deadlifts, benchpresses and squats in waves.

Week 1:
    Heavy deads (80% max)
    Explosive benchpress (60% max)
    Repetition squats (70% max)

Week 2:
    Repetition deads (70% max)
    Heavy benchpress (80% max)
    Explosive squats (60% max)

Week 3:
    Explosive deads (60% max)
    Repetition benchpress (70% max)
    Heavy squats (80% max)

I focus on all three qualities of a lift: heavy weight, repetitions and explosive speed. They're all important. And I only lift heavy one day a week. Not every single day at the gym needs to be heavy day. Do you think your CNS can't handle 1 hour of heavy weight training a week? C'mon.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts...I started doing these about 7 months ago and although I never had particularly fat legs (I'm more of an apple), what fat there was has pretty much disappeared.

If you need help with form, I'd definitely recommend hiring a trainer - even if it's only for a short while to make sure you get the form right and don't injure yourself.

I focus on all three qualities of a lift: heavy weight, repetitions and explosive speed. They're all important. And I only lift heavy one day a week. Not every single day at the gym needs to be heavy day. Do you think your CNS can't handle 1 hour of heavy weight training a week? C'mon.
    My point is only that nobody "ought" to do them, it depends on your goals, how you are built, and the totality of your training and also diet. Going above 5 reps on squat and deads and not too close to failure will not be that taxing of course. So I am not saying not do do squats and deads, but the new Starting Strength religion that everybody "ought" to do them is beyond retarded IMO...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    truth

they i'd say that deadlifts, squats, and some sort of pullup/chinup/rope climb are the most fundamental human forms of movement aside from walking or running. for any able-bodied person, strength training should start with these 3 and expand from there.
    This is true.

You can do squats without barbells. You can do it with just body weight to start and then hold a dumbbell in front or two up by your ears. Increase the reps to something like 12, then pick heavier dumbbells and start at 5 and work your way up to 12 reps again. Something like that will work.

Deadlift is great. I'm surprised what it does for my core strength. Makes me feel good too. It is the only lift I have done that gives me a reliable sense of satisfaction in regards to my progress. I'm pretty sure that deadlift and squats are the best way to get a nice round butt.

I hired a trainer to teach me how to use the equipment and how to do the lifts. She didn't teach me the same way that Rippetoe does them, but that's okay. Learning about using the equipment and having someone watch and let me know when I got to parallel or whether my back was rounded or whatever was really helpful since these movements were all new to me and even knowing what my body was doing was a challenge. Learning about gym rules was helpful. Just having someone there so I wasn't lost was helpful. I only needed her for 3 sessions so it wasn't too expensive. I think lifting barbells is fun, but if you really don't want to do it, there are way better looking women than me in the gym just using dumbbells and machines and doing chinups.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast