Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss : Is it 80% Diet?? page 12

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You've been half-squatting for the past 35 years - your own words. You can argue with yourself if that's true or not.
    By the way, Rip does not squat "to the parallel".
    Alright, don't let us argue over semantic's my english is not perfect, I thought that you by "half-squatting" meant to paralell, and not a shallow squat, but I can assure you that my way of sqatting to paralell is not worse than Rippetoes, and I am by no means a good squatter!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Alright, don't let us argue over semantic's my english is not perfect, I thought that you by "half-squatting" meant to paralell, and not a shallow squat, but I can assure you that my way of sqatting to paralell is not worse than Rippetoes, and I am by no means a good squatter!
    What I said has nothing to do with your English. I literally meant Rippetoe does not squat to parallel.

otzi Guest
    I just wanted to jump in here real quick with a comment on weightlifting for fatloss. I have lost about 90lbs over the last 2 years, I was fat everywhere and couldn't do a single pullup and very few pushups.

Without 1 millisecond in a gym or under heavy weights, I have gone from:

Tim.jpg

to this:

Tim2.jpg

All I did was eat primal style and daily pushups, pullups, squats, and sprints. Do I have massive biceps and a raging 8-pack? No. But, I feel better than I ever have and am probably about as strong as any 48 year old Grok ever was.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What I said has nothing to do with your English. I literally meant Rippetoe does not squat to parallel.
    Well, then I also goes a few centimeters below parallel, so call it whatever you want, but it is anyway not a full ass to grass squat!

If I had the anatomy of becoming a good squatter I would perhaps have done it this way instead:

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Indeed, after putting in all that training there is the possibility of joining the circus. What powerlifter has that option?
    Everybody wins with the circus!
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Dude has some heck of a form there. I need my feet a bit outside shoulder width to get ass to grass. i.e.... just do a resting squat.

aerie is offline Junior Member
    *** Replied to a much earlier post on page 5 or 6 but didn't do it with quotes so if this seems random that's why****

I guess I've always had much lower body fat -- I'm told (and I agree) that I look good and healthy with clothes on. Perhaps MY perception of what I'm seeing in the mirror is skewed (body image issues that are common amongst young women)..

The only way I've ever successfully shed body fat in the past is through reduction of calories, and long long cardio (walks/hikes/hills). I don't have the time anymore for that method nor do I have any desire to be constantly hungry.

It's possible that my goals are unrealistic, but 1 1/2 years ago I was much slimmer (fat wise) and I see no reason why I can't be there again.

The cellulite thing is interesting - it absolutely goes away 99% when I am at a lower weight and lower body fat. I only have it when I pack on the pounds. It goes away even quicker when I eat raw vegan, but I'm not doing that anymore.. I came to believe the animal products are helping me in a lot of ways.
    Last edited by aerie; 03-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    For the same reason discussions usually blow up. People get offended when they don't hear what they want to hear.

There are two effective tools to lose body fat:
    1.) Diet
    2.) Exercise

Diet is the most important thing for weight loss. Exercise is what ensures that the weight you lose is fat while preserving muscle mass. So, we'll go back to the OP's question:

If people here would bother to read the opening post, the OP clearly states they don't necessarily want to lose WEIGHT, they want to lose fat while preserving muscle without significantly reducing calories. So, that is why this turned into a discussion on deadlifts, squats and benchpresses. That is how you convert fat to muscle without changing caloric intake, and that is how you preserve muscle while losing fat on a caloric deficit.

Somewhere along the line, some people didn't want to hear the truth. I'm not here to make excuses for others. I clearly stated over and over again that it's the motions that are important, not to throw 200 lbs on a bar and start picking it up or strapping it on your back. Learn how to increase your body's range of motion, learn how to develop proper form. If you can do that, maybe one day you can add weight. I don't need to be brainwashed by some 60 year old doctor who never touched a weight in his life, thinks coconut oil is going to kill us because of the saturated fat, thinks egg yolks are the devil incarnate, thinks that a high protein diet is going to shut down my kidneys and thinks deadlifts are going to blow out my back and squats are going to blow out my knees. That's why we're in the situation we're in. People on this site all the time switch doctors that don't understand the fat/cholesterol hypothesis. It's also important to ditch the doctors that don't understand how to exercise for doctors that have a clue.

And here is the problem. Ignore those who don't tell you exactly what you want to hear. Guess what? We are all on this website because we were lied to for decades of our lives and we suffered the consequences. If you want to fall into that trap again, that's your right. However, I won't be a part of the ignorance, and I'm not going to console someone's fears and ensure that they never realize their true potential.

All of you have the power to change your lives and you can all do so much more than you give yourselves credit for. If you want someone to just reassure your fears and help dig your rut deeper, don't ask me. I won't be a part of it.
    This has been a fascinating discussion for me - WAY more than I anticipated asking my initial question. You got it right here... I do want to lose the fat while preserving as much as possible the muscle - I am new to weight training and from reading here, definitely need a few sessions with a trainer or someone to teach me proper form and explain a few basic exercises to work on. I can use the weight machines in the mean time, with pretty heavy loads but it seems like HEAVY lifting with the free bars and weights is the best.

Besides, I'd love to be super strong again, and show up plently of guys. I used to be much stronger and leaner and guys would pick me up and stagger "woah you are way heavier than you look!" I always liked that... damn straight! I've got muscles

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I just wanted to jump in here real quick with a comment on weightlifting for fatloss. I have lost about 90lbs over the last 2 years, I was fat everywhere and couldn't do a single pullup and very few pushups.

Without 1 millisecond in a gym or under heavy weights, I have gone from:

Tim.jpg

to this:

Tim2.jpg

All I did was eat primal style and daily pushups, pullups, squats, and sprints. Do I have massive biceps and a raging 8-pack? No. But, I feel better than I ever have and am probably about as strong as any 48 year old Grok ever was.
    Wow. No gym... Nice. Thanks for showing that

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, then I also goes a few centimeters below parallel, so call it whatever you want
    I like how your squat went from a half-squat, to a squat to parallel, to a squat below parallel, all within the last hour. I bet it increased 100lb during that time too. Good for you.

... but it is anyway not a full ass to grass squat!
    ...Yeah, it's not a back-flip either. What's your point?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast