Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potatoes for Primal Potato Diet? page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Sweet Potatoes for Primal Potato Diet?

Primal Fuel
    I've been stalled out at 185 Lbs for about 2 months now and I'm ready to get things moving, so I figured I'd try the Primal Potato Diet for a week or two, so here's my questions:

1. Can sweet potatoes be used to the same effect? I thought I might switch off.

2. Should I supplement with this plan? (I was thinking bone broth and a daily vitamin)

3. Can I still do weight lifting on nothing but potatoes?

Bonus Question:
    What is your favorite way to cook potatoes without any added fat?

Thanks in advance!

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post

Bonus Question:
    What is your favorite way to cook potatoes without any added fat?
    I have a convection oven. It's amazing... no oil or fat needed and they don't end up dry.
    Otherwise I boil them first then stick them under the grill.

As for the rest of your post, I'm baffled by these plans and living off sweet potatoes. I may have some reading to do...

Thanks for the tip, but I do not have a convection oven.

It was kind of a big deal a few months back, there where 100+ page forums on the subject. Some people say it is extremely effective, others say it's just another crash diet, but if it's safe and it sticks then I guess it's called a bio-hack. Looks promising to me though.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Some people reached the conclusion that those who had the most success were the ones who ate nothing but white potatoes. Those who ate sweet potatoes and other supplementary foods found less effect. There was also a long post about the conversion of starch into resistant starch from cooking white potatoes and then chilling them.

Thanks eKatherine, I had heard about the resistant starch thing, I figured I might try that just for convenience sake.

I think I'll probably end up doing white potatoes until I feel like I'm loosing my mind, and then I'll budge and have a little sweet, unless someone gives me compelling information to act otherwise.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    1. Can sweet potatoes be used to the same effect?
    No. Sweet potatoes have an incomplete amino acid profile. White potatoes are a complete protein, and they have more of it. Moreover, they are generally more nutritious than sweet potatoes. You can survive for a really long time on eating absolutely nothing but white potatoes. Eventually you may run into some nutrient deficiencies, but it'll happen much more quickly consuming solely sweet potatoes.

Eating one food for some kind of diet hack is a terrible approach to weight loss IMO, but I'd to it 100 times with white potatoes before I did it once with sweet potatoes. I know sweet potatoes are Mark Sisson's starch of choice, but the truth is, white potatoes are a superior food.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Thanks for the input Taco, I really appreciate it. I hear you on single food diets, but the results are too appealing to ignore right now.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it, people have success on this all-potato diet business because the diet quickly becomes so boring and low in food reward and palatability, they just don't want to eat much. Food becomes unappealing, so they undereat significantly and lose fat. And since potatoes are so uniquely nutritious (they contain complete protein, A/B/C vitamins and a shocking nutrient profile for a "white starch") and so high in starch, they actually help maintain your metabolic rate and thyroid even in the face of a deficit.

But what happens when you stop? When you add foods back in, won't the weight tick right back up? You may wind up worse off than when you started because you may find yourself low in micros and suddenly reintroducing a varied diet could lead to chronic overeating. A weight loss crawl or weight loss stall isn't fun, but what's worse is losing weight, then gaining it all back. IMO, that's the real danger here - you're temporarily depriving yourself, and chances are you'll gain back a portion of what you lose, which is very taxing mentally. I just think you're better off doing it through a sustainable lifestyle change. I'd start from the bottom and work my way up and figure out what's the lowest level of fat and carbs I can sustain myself happily on. Ridding unnecessary fat and starch for protein and fiber - more lean meats and vegetables in lieu of fatty meats, oils, sugars and starches - is the best way to lean out because you can control it and sustain it. Just be careful.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    Here's my advice on the Potato Diet:

Try it. If you lose the weight you want, reconsider your relationship with starch. Upon resumption of normal eating, include potatoes (or rice, plantains, etc...) on a daily or near-daily basis. This is especially pertinent if you have been low-carbing it and avoiding starch in particular.

For best results: No sweet potatoes. Plan ahead and cook a bunch of potatoes to store in fridge, eat many of them cold. Eat potatoes as plain as possible, use only salt, pepper and vinegar. Eat til you are full, but try to keep it under 3 pounds per day. 2-3lbs is perfect. Eat most of your potatoes boiled or baked, hot or cold. Fried potatoes can be made without oil, but they are easy to overeat on. Have these when you resume normal eating or if you are so sick of potatoes you need a change after a few days.

Good luck!

diene is offline Senior Member
    My favorite recipe: I take baked potatoes that have been refrigerated--refrigeration is not required, but this works best if the potatoes are not hot. I shred the potato using a cheese grater. I do the shredding over a cookie sheet lined with foil. Then I spread the shredded potato around into a fairly thin layer (but not too thin or it will burn). Bake until golden brown. It will be crispy on top and mushy in the middle--kind of like hashbrowns. Doesn't stick too much either. Serve with salt and vinegar. Yum! I could eat that all day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast